Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You don't see it as being in the best interest of the pets to get rid of them? Would't it be better to have them living in a home somewhere than to be living on the street? I have seen homeless people with dogs and it always amazes me that they don't have the money to buy themselves food but will place an animal in the same situation. It's just not humane to ask that of an animal.

You may take pets if you wish but unless you have an age restricted rental you can not say no to people with children.
Having a pet when someone is homeless is very difficult. But the alternative is the daily holocaust at pounds and shelters across the country.

I can discourage people with children by many means, for example, letting tenants know that there is zero tolerance of noise, drugs, criminal activity, etc. People who have children and rent more often than not have credit problems as well. They are certainly not the best and brightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Having a pet when someone is homeless is very difficult. But the alternative is the daily holocaust at pounds and shelters across the country.

I can discourage people with children by many means, for example, letting tenants know that there is zero tolerance of noise, drugs, criminal activity, etc. People who have children and rent more often than not have credit problems as well. They are certainly not the best and brightest.
Well, I guess I was not one of the best and brightest at one time. I had a child and was renting a home off base while I was in the military. Then when I got out of the military I had two children and couldn't afford to buy, so we had to rent for a number of years until I got started in my career.

There was no Federal Housing Act that would have protected me from familial status discrimination at that time, so I'm thankful that there were understanding landlords who were willing to rent to this "not the best and brightest" family.

Maybe if Pan Am had know I was not among the best and brightest they would never have hired me as a pilot and made me an airline Captain. Good thing they didn't find out

Old 12-26-2012, 03:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

How nice of you to think that putting down an animal is similar to the killing of innocent Jewish people. That amazes me that you can even compare the two situations. I take it that you are a renter? Best and brightest indeed.

We have 6 kids and we rented untill 2 years ago. Never had an issue with my kids. Not one of them takes drugs or is into any kind of criminal activity. We were resepctable neighbors as were those that lived near us. On top of that of the places that we rented they all did a credit check and found that most people there had the ability to pay their rent. I have only lived in places where tennets had to make 3X the rent. As far as how bright we are, I have an MBA and my wife is in Nursing. I wouldn't say that we are the smartest people in the world but we are far from the dullest knife in the drawer.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
Don't know how it works in your country, or your age, however, in the US there is housing help for seniors. Low income housing. Might look for some government help.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
On another thtead the OP said she wss having champagne and some good food on Christmas. Time to forego the luxuries and save $$$.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
From her posts all over the forums it doesn't sound like she's very concerned about the situation so I'm wondering what the purpose of her OP was to begin with

Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Is this another situation of getting sucked into a non event? I remember changing the locks at a home during an eviction. When I was working fulltime for a locksmith shop this was a normal part of the week. Anyway after the Sheriff and property owner had left, I was still there changing the locks and listening to the former tennets. The owner was allowing them to move out of the home, although they could not occupy it. These two women had no idea where to start. Instead of doing anything one said to the other, "Guess I will take a shower and get something to eat." The other said "that sounds like a plan." I always thought it was funny as it was 10am and they had till 5pm to clear out of the home. They were less concerned with how to clear out and more concerned with personal comfort. I wanted to say, "Your homeless, maybe a shower and food are not your most important part of the day right now."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate