Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times

Advertisements

there is
sellers helper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
Maybe that accounts for a lot of our inflationary costs over the last several decades...
Yes... I used to pay .30 cents for gas and .99 cents for a gallon of milk.

If you had bought a home in San Francisco back 30 years ago for $200k and sold it today for $1.2M, you'd be happy with the price of homes going up.

It's not agents who cause the price to go higher, it's supply / demand and the cost of building. Ask the people who have sold at a loss the last 3 years.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
There is FISBO.COM. No hyperlink here, but anyone can find it.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
There is FISBO.COM. No hyperlink here, but anyone can find it.
Buyers have gotten smarter.

They have no reason to go to a FSBO website to search for listings.

They know the only reason a seller chooses to FSBO is to save himself the commission.

Buyers also know that a seller that is trying to save HIMSELF money is usually overpriced and not easy to work with. That is just the way it is in this area.

Most buyers are smart enought to know that they need a professional to get them from contract to close. And since the seller is paying the Realtor's commissions, they'd rather have that Realtor work for them.

So, having said that, I see no reason for a buyer to go to any website that deals with FSBOs.

"I" have gone to n'hoods looking for FSBOs if I have a buyer that wants to live in that n'hood and if there aren't any homes for sale in MLS. And even though that seller will agree to pay me, it is so much more work for me. I do it, for my buyers. But I warn my buyers, in advance, FSBOs are difficult to work with.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM

I meant to say FSBO.com in my post. Being a cheapskate is not always a good idea in a Real Estate transaction.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I meant to say FSBO.com in my post. Being a cheapskate is not always a good idea in a Real Estate transaction.
Very true if you're uneducated and "trust in your realtor". But if you've been thru it many times, read all the paperwork, KNOW the process/requirements, and steps that have to be followed, you'll know it's not worth the $15-30+k that could buy you a new car/ or furnishings.

What I was thinking [in the original post] was a national conglomerate FSBO.com similar to Realtor.com.

But thank you so much for your thoughts..

Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Quote:
Very true if you're uneducated and "trust in your realtor". But if you've been thru it many times, read all the paperwork, KNOW the process/requirements, and steps that have to be followed, you'll know it's not worth the $15-30+k that could buy you a new car/ or furnishings.

What I was thinking [in the original post] was a national conglomerate FSBO.com similar to Realtor.com.

In this area, most of the FSBO listings that sell will sell with a buyer's agent. So, the seller isn't saving a full 6% since that seller is paying the buyer's agent.

The ones that don't sell within 30 days usually list with a Realtor.

Again, many reasons for this but usually a buyer just doesn't want to deal with it alone.

Maybe it is different in different areas.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that the average home seller has little or no knowledge about the process. I am not saying that a realtor must be used, only that it can prevent many issues unknown to the average consumer. No offense meant to anyone.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:

So many people buy and sell property and need help each time. I have worked with many buyers who bring experiences from out of state that are not applicable to NC.
I have too many grateful clients who bought and sold without an agent in the past to accept that anyone "knows the process" well enough that they have nothing to learn.
Any good agent knows that no two transactions are the same, and there are at least small lessons in every transaction.

Repeated references to legally binding documents as "paperwork" is a sure tell that someone thinks they know more than they really do know.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,016,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So many people buy and sell property and need help each time. I have worked with many buyers who bring experiences from out of state that are not applicable to NC.
I have too many grateful clients who bought and sold without an agent in the past to accept that anyone "knows the process" well enough that they have nothing to learn.
Any good agent knows that no two transactions are the same, and there are at least small lessons in every transaction.

Repeated references to legally binding documents as "paperwork" is a sure tell that someone thinks they know more than they really do know.
If couldn't agree more. Every transaction brings its own unique set of issues and in almost any transaction is take away something that helps me make the next one even smoother. At this point, I've amassed quite a bit more transactions than the average homeowner will see in a lifetime. This experience helps my clients to avoid pitfalls that less experienced people would easily fall into.

I also agree that someone referring to legally binding contracts simply as paperwork is a likely sign that they are taking something which should be deadly serious (large amounts of money involved and tons of potential liability as well) not seriously enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate