Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

RE market situation: investors, competition, inflated prices

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 AM

238 posts, read 763,192 times

Advertisements

For six or eight years, buyers were told, "We're having a party, and you're not invited." Prices doubled and tripled, and owners cashed out. They bought marble and granite and stainless, and figured they deserved to get paid for their home.

"If you don't buy now," they said, "You'll be forever priced out."

Nobody asked what would happen when the buyers were priced out, or where all the money was coming from.

Now the clock has chimed midnight, and the carriages have turned back into pumpkins, and the owners and the agents are scrambling to blame anyone, and everyone, but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
actually Linus, those that sold at peak also bought at peak. There were TOO MANY buyers out there and not enough inventory to go around, because there were a lot of investors in the market.

Investors pulled out. and started selling their properties, and normal folks that have to sell for normal reason are competing and now TOO MANY properties and not enough buyers.

Real estate is cyclical and will change again. This too shall pass.

Shelly

Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusK View Post
"If you don't buy now," they said, "You'll be forever priced out."

Nobody asked what would happen when the buyers were priced out, .
Pretty much it in a nutshell.
Of course when they aren't priced out, the food chain with thrive again.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 PM

30 posts, read 83,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
actually Linus, those that sold at peak also bought at peak. There were TOO MANY buyers out there and not enough inventory to go around, because there were a lot of investors in the market.

Investors pulled out. and started selling their properties, and normal folks that have to sell for normal reason are competing and now TOO MANY properties and not enough buyers.

Real estate is cyclical and will change again. This too shall pass.

Shelly

The normal folks (here I mean people who did not buy at peak time) however do not want to sell at NORMAL prices, they want to compete with the highly inflated unrealistic prices and complain about not getting it from the buyers, hope they did not use their houses as ATM bank and expect buyers to pay for their debt. If normal folks did not buy at peak time, they should have enough equity in their home to lower price to a NORMAL level, then no one can compete with them. I think it is all about greed.

I don't like speculators, but I respect people who are first time home buyers who bought with hard earned money at peak time but unable to sell now. I sincerely hope they can manage to overcome this hard time. If the house is priced reasonably, I will not lowball an offer to take advantage of them. That being said, I may try to avoid buying houses that were bought at peak time. The media, government and NAR, mortgage lenders, home builders should all take some blame.

Last edited by midlander008; 10-17-2007 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 04:55 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlander008 View Post
The normal folks (here I mean people who did not buy at peak time) however do not want to sell at NORMAL prices, they want to compete with the highly inflated unrealistic prices and complain about not getting it from the buyers, hope they did not use their houses as ATM bank and expect buyers to pay for their debt. If normal folks did not buy at peak time, they should have enough equity in their home to lower price to a NORMAL level, then no one can compete with them. I think it is all about greed.

I don't like speculators, but I respect people who are first time home buyers who bought with hard earned money at peak time but unable to sell now. I sincerely hope they can manage to overcome this hard time. If the house is priced reasonably, I will not lowball an offer to take advantage of them. That being said, I may try to avoid buying houses that were bought at peak time. The media, government and NAR, mortgage lenders, home builders should all take some blame.
Interesting....just out of curiosity - why should NAR take the blame?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:09 PM

238 posts, read 763,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
David Lereah

Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 PM

30 posts, read 83,810 times
Quote:

NAR's false forecast, I have friends who bought in 2004 and 2005, because media and NAR's forecast made them think the housing has hit the bottom and will go back again soon and now the value of their houses drops a lot. Right before the August credit crunch, Lawrence Yun was still saying that. Do realtors really believe the market will turn around next year and are telling people just that.

Not all realtors are unethical and I understand why he does that being the chief economist of the NAR, we all need to make a living. It's probably his job to save the market. But truly quite a lot of people believed in it and the media quoted a lot of forecast from NAR back then and many who bought at peak now are underwater. I have to say I believed in it also at that time and did not do much research (i'm a type of person who does do a lot of research before buying big things). Fortunately I did not need to buy house, i would have done extensive research if I needed to buy at that time.

I believe there are good realtors out there, my father had one when he bought his house in 1996, but there are also bad ones who took advantage of the buyers. Sometimes openly admitting mistake will make one look more credible and trustworthy. The more some realtors object the negative news, the more people disbelieve you this is what I see the trend on other forums and blogs. Recently my friend did not use realtor to buy house since there is internet and they could hire a lawyer. More and more people are doing that today especially among younger generation.

Right now, it maybe a hard time for the realtors to deal with sellers and buyers, I just wish price can come down to a level at which people start buying instead of a long slow pain.

But if NAR keeps going on like this, it will ruin the entire industry, seriously. when NAR's reputation got more ugly and young people turn to internet for buying (old people may still rely on realtor but years later, that will change). It will no sales no commissions for the realtors, the entire industry will be in danger.

Last edited by midlander008; 10-17-2007 at 06:27 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
OMG, your not serious are you? I put the NAR (Lareah and Yan) right below used car salesmen and right above Mozilo from Countrywide. They and their ilk are borderline criminals for the garbage and lies they spewed over the years. Look at this, even up till last year THEY WOULDN'T ADMIT THERE WAS A BUBBLE IN THE SARASOTA MARKET....

is anyone surprised? If the NAR admits anything negative it lessens the commissions of their realtors. I'm blown away that there were still some realtors' who actually tow the company line...LOL

http://www.realtor.org/Research.nsf/files/Sarasota.pdf/$FILE/Sarasota.pdf

I hope you were being sarcastic and are not brainwashed by them...

Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
OMG, your not serious are you? I put the NAR (Lareah and Yan) right below used car salesmen and right above Mozilo from Countrywide. They and their ilk are borderline criminals for the garbage and lies they spewed over the years. Look at this, even up till last year THEY WOULDN'T ADMIT THERE WAS A BUBBLE IN THE SARASOTA MARKET....

is anyone surprised? If the NAR admits anything negative it lessens the commissions of their realtors. I'm blown away that there were still some realtors' who actually tow the company line...LOL

http://www.realtor.org/Research.nsf/files/Sarasota.pdf/$FILE/Sarasota.pdf

I hope you were being sarcastic and are not brainwashed by them...
Now Jack...I don't believe everything You say without questioning...lol...thank you for answering, however. My clients are willing to pay my commission because I'm worth it. I admit when I'm wrong, I ask questions and quite simple I try to do the best job I can to protect their interests throughout the transaction. I take the word represent quite seriously, my code of ethics training started long before I could read the written word.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Real estate is cyclical. People said the same in the late 80's. It is simply supply vs. demand which is a sales principal. Right now lenders got too competitive and then some went out of business and the remaining lenders over-corrected temporarily. When coupled with builders going crazy with inventory it created an unbalance in buyers to sellers. The result is predictable that it became a buyers market. It's a great time to be a qualified buyer, and I do believe the market will come back next spring. My local market is actually up 3% this year so keep in mind real estate is local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate