U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM

710 posts, read 1,864,318 times

Advertisements

My target date for the house being listed is March 1st. Before, if I get completely done. Today is "take stuff to the dump day." I am taking a short break before my second and last load. Later this afternoon is "offload all the christmas stuff to the storage unit" time. WOO good times. I can't wait until it's take an old toothbrush to the tub grout day. My original target date was last fall but that turned out to not be realistic after life happened a couple of times and knocked us around a little (it's all fine now).

Anyway, I could accommodate people coming to see the house on short notice but there is every possibility that I won't be able to pack up the kitties and take off. I just literally can't. I could possibly step out and take a short walk, leaving the animals in a carrier or something like that (weather permitting), but from 5 a.m. until 1 p.m. during the week, it's a no-go for me to take off in the car to accommodate a showing. I would be ok with people coming over, that's fine, and I would be able to get up to let them check out the room I will be in, that won't be a problem 90% of the time. There may be times when I literally would not be able to leave my desk, though. My job is not one that requires me to be on the phone or anything, so I will be basically silent while I work, but there are multiple times during any given week when I literally cannot stop what I am doing.

I think the best I am going to be able to do is make sure the house is show ready every night before I go to bed and then just have a "call first" requirement so I know when to expect people. I expect most showings M-F will be during hours other than this anyway, but is there any other solution I'm not thinking of?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM

3,585 posts, read 6,507,722 times
Easily accommodates unless buyer is on tight schedule looking at multiple homes within a certain time frame.

That's the risk you will have to take.

You can always request other times and if buyer really wants to see the home they will adjust their time frame. But like I said you can always miss "the one buyer who absolutely loves your home" if they would have seen it and you couldn't accommodate them.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM

244 posts, read 702,262 times
Require a 24hr notice. That is not too much to ask.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM

7,329 posts, read 8,676,621 times
I went through a similar situation.

I work from home, in a private area, and cannot leave during the day.

The realtors showing my house always had to make an appointment. That is just common courtesy for any showing, whether you are home or not. It helped the listing broker to screen out the quacks and the lookers as well.

I asked for, generally, four hours notice, which was rarely, if ever, a problem. If it was a 'must see now' situation i was generally accommodative.

Now, to get to your real issue, the showing realtors were told that i would be there working. I put the cat in the carrier and went about my work. When the showing arrived i just went about my business. Some times there was just a casual 'hello', other times there was more of a conversation. Some times i ended up showing much of the house, and the showing realtor was happy to let me do the run though. I obviously knew way more about the house than they did.

My sense was that some realtors didn't like having me there; i also sensed that some showings didn't like me there either. Maybe they didn't feel comfortable expressing their true feelings with me there. The majority were happy that i was there and it was not an issue one way or the other.

My eventual buyer saw the house with me there the first time, and with me absent the second time. She was quite pleased that i was there and able to answer questions. It was a more 'personal' thing than just an object being hawked by a broker.

My advice is to just go about your business and do what works for you.Tell your agent to give you whatever lead time works for you. Most of the showings are not real buyers in any event, so you feel sort of 'dumb' when you get prepared, bundle up the cat and yourself, only to find that the showing took five minutes and they were gone!

Just be reasonable. You'll be fine.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM

10,211 posts, read 13,511,282 times
The nice thing for the buyer about NOT being there is that a good realtor can compile both negative and positive comments ... that people might not be as candid about making if the seller is there. Of course, the downside is that too few realtors seem aware or concerned about the value of such information to the seller.

Maybe a way around this is to let the realtor know that you will be happy to accomodate their schedule, BUT, that you want a compilation of both negative and positive comments ... and will leave a small recorder on the kitchen counter for that purpose.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM

39,274 posts, read 44,308,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoak View Post
Require a 24hr notice. That is not too much to ask.
Many times it is.

Op the harder you make it to see the house the more prospective buyers you will lose. Your short walk is Ok, just do the best you can to accommodate buyers.

It is what it is.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,413,034 times
Make it easy to show after 1pm, 2 hour notice with appointment before 1pm.

I find most my clients are uncomfortable looking at a house with an owner present. They are afraid to ask questions or point out issues for fear of offending the seller. And I've had a couple sellers chew the ears off my clients until they couldn't wait to get out of there.

Do your cats dash out the door? Otherwise I see no reason to kennel them and take them with you. Most hide under a bed when strangers are there, and I've seen plenty of signs "Do not let cat out, keep doors closed" when showing. Might that help?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM

15,132 posts, read 37,559,437 times
Home offices are really common. Some people can't leave and that's okay. Just tell people you will be there during your work hours. Typically what I have my buyers do is look in the office first (since we always say hello, otherwise it feels weird), then close the office door and tell them to feel free to poke around the house and open cabinets and such. For some reason closing the office door seems to make my buyers feel more comfortable.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM

4,281 posts, read 11,959,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
My target date for the house being listed is March 1st. Before, if I get completely done. Today is "take stuff to the dump day." I am taking a short break before my second and last load. Later this afternoon is "offload all the christmas stuff to the storage unit" time. WOO good times. I can't wait until it's take an old toothbrush to the tub grout day. My original target date was last fall but that turned out to not be realistic after life happened a couple of times and knocked us around a little (it's all fine now).

Anyway, I could accommodate people coming to see the house on short notice but there is every possibility that I won't be able to pack up the kitties and take off. I just literally can't. I could possibly step out and take a short walk, leaving the animals in a carrier or something like that (weather permitting), but from 5 a.m. until 1 p.m. during the week, it's a no-go for me to take off in the car to accommodate a showing. I would be ok with people coming over, that's fine, and I would be able to get up to let them check out the room I will be in, that won't be a problem 90% of the time. There may be times when I literally would not be able to leave my desk, though. My job is not one that requires me to be on the phone or anything, so I will be basically silent while I work, but there are multiple times during any given week when I literally cannot stop what I am doing.

I think the best I am going to be able to do is make sure the house is show ready every night before I go to bed and then just have a "call first" requirement so I know when to expect people. I expect most showings M-F will be during hours other than this anyway, but is there any other solution I'm not thinking of?
The more restrictions you have, the less chance of selling.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,168,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The nice thing for the buyer about NOT being there is that a good realtor can compile both negative and positive comments ... that people might not be as candid about making if the seller is there. Of course, the downside is that too few realtors seem aware or concerned about the value of such information to the seller.

Maybe a way around this is to let the realtor know that you will be happy to accomodate their schedule, BUT, that you want a compilation of both negative and positive comments ... and will leave a small recorder on the kitchen counter for that purpose.
Nail, hammer, bang!

Only thing I'd caution about is leaving that small recorder on the kitchen counter. If the prospects see it and the agents fails to make sure it is out of sight, big problems for sure. The potentials will think all kinds of things. Also, you never know where the recording ends up. Perhaps just asking for notes instead.

Other than that, no need to vacate if you are busy. You say hello, go back to business. You can always nod politely and mouth the "hello" as you listen to music on your player or whatever. Viewers will see you aren't eavesdropping and go about looking instead of worrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>