Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

"did you sign anything?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
I think i may have when i first started looking. Since then though we have verbally parted ways.
Are you sure you are ready to purchase a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
Would get a copy of what you signed and run it by a lawyer. If it is a realtor disclosure form you may be ok. If it is an agency (buyer agent) contract, it could be a problem. Not enough details yet for anyone to give you any meaningful advice.

In the future, make sure you know exactly what you are signing.
I would read it before running passed a lawyer. Disclosure statements generally make it clear they are disclosures and Agency Agreements are clear that the are agency agreements. If one does not understand what it says and it is of concern - than a lawyer. If you need a lawyer to determine the nature of what you signed you should swear off signing anything.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,777 times
rookie mistake! young and dumb i guess... ill just have to find out if i did.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
I looked at a house last year with a realtor and at the time decided the house wasn't for me. Since then the price of the house has dropped considerably and i've decided to take a second look at the house and possibly put a bid in. I am not longer interested in working with that realtor after finding him hard to get in contact with. My question to you is am i obligated to see the house again with that realtor or am i free to go with a new one?
It doesn't have to be a big deal so don't get stressed about it. Look at what you signed and I would bet it is just an agency disclosure document, which is not a buyer agency agreement. If you did sign a buyer agency agreement look at the termination and expiration clauses. If you need to an official termination in writing do so. Then interview at least three new buyer agents and see which one looks like they might meet your needs the best.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
rookie mistake! young and dumb i guess... ill just have to find out if i did.
Not at all. It's a sign that you had an agent that wasn't meeting your needs. All documents should be gone over and explained to you in a way that you understand. If an agent isn't doing that, time to move on. Some people are better with first timers than others and really know how to explain the basics.

You are a rookie home buyer. Find an agent that is great at explaining the system and process to you. You are going to be spending a lot of money and it is really important you understand what is happening and what kind of documents you are signing.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,777 times
Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate