Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,194,371 times

Advertisements

I think I need to add some Kahlua to my coffee after reading this thread. Marksmu and Captain Bill have you seen Rob Hahn's post on Inman News?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,725,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think I need to add some Kahlua to my coffee after reading this thread. Marksmu and Captain Bill have you seen Rob Hahn's post on Inman News?
My discussion on my business model is finished.

What is the point of the question?

Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
My discussion on my business model is finished.

What is the point of the question?
It is an article that talks about a new business concept to remove buyer agents from the equation. I just thought you would guys would find it interesting as it relates to your discussion. I'd link but I'm not sure if it violates the TOS or not.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,561,379 times
Default Let's make this easier

Quote:
It is an article that talks about a new business concept to remove buyer agents from the equation. I just thought you would guys would find it interesting as it relates to your discussion. I'd link but I'm not sure if it violates the TOS or not.
BuyerCurious.com is out to displace buyer's agents | Inman News

Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM

10,894 posts, read 21,851,140 times
Interesting...it will work for some but I doubt it will displace buyer agents anytime soon.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Interesting...it will work for some but I doubt it will displace buyer agents anytime soon.
I agree - you can never fully displace a buyers agent....I know everyone thinks I am anti agent, and out to quash all commissions, but I am not....Lots of buyers need lots of help...The alacarte part is good, but out of town buyers could end up making HUGE mistakes if they rely entirely on the internet to tell them where to live.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,725,255 times
Quote:
I had seen that web site before and see so much wrong with it that I can't envision something like that happening. There is just too much wrong with it: using Zillows Zestimates as comps; submitting 7 day active offers, getting the listing agent to show the house, or getting a buyers agent to show the house. If they get a buyers agent, then why would they need that site? They have a link that sends the person to realtor dot com to find an agent, instead of tutoring them on how to properly select an agent.

To me, that site is another "Realtors will become dinosaurs, or go the way of the travel agents" theory, and a scheme to make money by eventually selling advertising.

It's a real possibility that people who don't know what they're doing will get duped into thinking that site will save them money; but what it will most likely do, by using Zillow Zestimates, and 7 day active offers without having any idea of the local market condition and trends, will cost them much more money, and possibly get into legal trouble by not having proper representation to explain the contracts and required disclosures, and much more.

That's all I have to say about that site.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM

10,894 posts, read 21,851,140 times
My biggest question, and it may have been covered in there but I didn't see it, is how does it save the buyer a commission? If there is no buyer agent the listing agent is entitled to keep it. What happens when a listing agent says no?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,242,711 times
Quote:
My biggest question, and it may have been covered in there but I didn't see it, is how does it save the buyer a commission? If there is no buyer agent the listing agent is entitled to keep it. What happens when a listing agent says no?
It was addressed....it said that you can send an email directly to the seller through the system letting them know that you are unreprsented and encouraging them to reach a matching reduction with their listing agent.

Basically the web site does for you what CaptainBill in a previous thread said (and I disagree) was third-party interference with contract.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
That was brought up in discussion too. The site works on a huge assumption that the buyer agent commission will be credited in some way in the transaction.

I do think it is a good idea though. I personally think about 20% of buyers are more than capable of representing themselves (assuming they aren't relocating to a new area). I also think those buyers are a very vocal group of consumers that haven't felt that the real estate industry recognizes that they are capable. I think this is a good outlet for that group of consumers. I actually think that we will have less agent bashing if people that are capable are given an outlet to manage things themselves.

CaptainBill, it has been my experience with unrepresented buyers that once you hand them the paperwork and tell them to fill it out, those that aren't savvy get that they don't know what they are doing right away. Those that are savvy know how to fill out the forms and what to put in them. These are just offers and not binding. I think what will happen is those that think they know what they are doing will quickly find out they don't. Especially as many markets are in recovery. I think letting the consumer try and fail is better than telling them they don't know what they are doing and should't even try. Who knows...they might gain some appreciation for agents along the way.

I also think it will force agents to really demonstrate their value. 74% would use their buyer agent again so we aren't going anywhere, but I think it is an interesting idea. They aren't in Oregon so I couldn't mess around with the offer process like you guys can. We have limited rep service for sellers that don't want full service representation. This just seems like the flip side of that for buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate