Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
It is a detached single family home, two stories with a basement. No shared walls, and there is decent space between the houses. The association apparently has both attached townhomes and detached single family homes, so that may be why the wording in the CC&R is as it is, since it has to cover both detached and attached. It does specifically say that structural and interior repairs are the responsibility of the home owner, but it sounds that if the owner does not resolve the issues then the association can complete the repairs and assess a fee to the owner.

It is 38 pages, and the main purpose of making this thread was to see if I was being unreasonable in walking away from the house merely because of an HOA, but if anybody is legitimately interested in viewing the bylaws and CC&R, here is a link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1RjW...5B40AtC0JiSz8M
Thanks for posting. Wow. Dating from 1977?

1. Have your attorney discuss the real world materiality of the provisions with you.

2. I am GUESSING after skimming it, that the homes are very nicely maintained, and the Association is empowered to continue that. If you charred the paint off your house because you put your grille to close to it, or you busted in your front storm door, and you failed to make repairs, the association appears to have the authority to make that repair. It is just one way to keep up the beauty of a neighborhood.

3. And, many people would not hesitate to live with those provisions. If it isn't for you, no harm, no foul. Move on to the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
Most HOA's are pretty laid back and a necessity to keep neighborhood looking good hence resale values intact. You don't want your house value to go down because nobody wants to live next to your neighbor's crappy house. Do you?
OMG, my BS detector just started screeching so loud that I can barely hear now. Do you happen to work for an property management company or are you just really naive?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default No TV antennas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
if anybody is legitimately interested in viewing the bylaws and CC&R,
10.7 "no antennae [sic]" No Direct TV nor Dish!

While the 3% max annual increase sounds good today, what happens if inflation hits 10% for a few years? I guarantee you that more than 1/3 will not vote for a >3% increase.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
OMG, my BS detector just started screeching so loud that I can barely hear now. Do you happen to work for an property management company or are you just really naive?
I didn't post what you originally replied to, but believe me, that happens. I was looking at a house last weekend in the downtown area of one of the nicest suburbs in Chicago. The house was built last year and was very high end. The next door neighbor's house, however, was a disaster. The yard looked like something out of hoarders. The owners of the nice house didn't take that into account in pricing their house at all, but buyers will and no one is going to pay them close to what they are asking based on that neighbor alone.

I personally don't love HOA's and would rather not have one, but they can have value and make sense for some people.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
People can debate forever the the merits or lack of of a HOA.

However, the deal breaker for me would be allowing access to a single family, detached home. This is really unusual. No way would I agree to that. That means you either have to give them a key to hold or you're giving them permission to break in.

I'd walk away and find someplace else.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
People can debate forever the the merits or lack of of a HOA.

However, the deal breaker for me would be allowing access to a single family, detached home. This is really unusual. No way would I agree to that. That means you either have to give them a key to hold or you're giving them permission to break in.

I'd walk away and find someplace else.
If giving a key is accurate, I would agree it would be a deal breaker.
However, that assumption is an over-reaction to the community position, I would be willing to bet.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I didn't post what you originally replied to, but believe me, that happens. I was looking at a house last weekend in the downtown area of one of the nicest suburbs in Chicago. The house was built last year and was very high end. The next door neighbor's house, however, was a disaster. The yard looked like something out of hoarders. The owners of the nice house didn't take that into account in pricing their house at all, but buyers will and no one is going to pay them close to what they are asking based on that neighbor alone.

I personally don't love HOA's and would rather not have one, but they can have value and make sense for some people.
Most towns, all you'd have to do is contact the health department or whatever department has responsibility over situations like this. I don't know if they have any actual legal right to force the people to clean it up but they'll make a visit and make recommendations at least.

We don't have hoa's around here, thank goodness. I would much rather live next to someone who plants flowers that I don't like or washes their car in their own driveway on weekend afternoons than sacrifice my sense of control over my own home. You people who live in states that have hoa's should fight to get rid of them and take control. Just reading about them is unsettling.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most towns, all you'd have to do is contact the health department or whatever department has responsibility over situations like this. I don't know if they have any actual legal right to force the people to clean it up but they'll make a visit and make recommendations at least.

We don't have hoa's around here, thank goodness. I would much rather live next to someone who plants flowers that I don't like or washes their car in their own driveway on weekend afternoons than sacrifice my sense of control over my own home. You people who live in states that have hoa's should fight to get rid of them and take control. Just reading about them is unsettling.
I like HOAs in many regards, and have never lived in a neighborhood with an HOA. Don't really want to.
Had a couple of rental condos with Association and Property Managers. Completely necessary in a condominium complex.

HOAs keep my taxes down, as the residents support their own amenities in their own neighborhoods. They pay for their own playgrounds, swimming pools, clubhouses, walking trails, stormwater BMPs, common landscaping. That allows me to choose to live in a neighborhood with no common area, and no HOA, and to be taxed at a lower level than if the municipality managed those amenities I would not use and passed the cost to me.

Additionally, HOAs support my property value. Backlash against HOAs has grown to where nice neighborhoods without HOAs are desirable for the lack of HOAs, helping with resale values. I'll take it.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Here is what you do, buy the house and volunteer to be on the HOA board. Learn what they do/don't do and how. Be involved, be a team player or even a leader. Then you won't be uneasy anymore.

In my experience the majority of people who hate HOA's are the one who want to do whatever they want plus have everyone else do things to their satisfaction without having to actually do anything or get involved, ever, themselves. Some folks just like to complain.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Additionally, HOAs support my property value. Backlash against HOAs has grown to where nice neighborhoods without HOAs are desirable for the lack of HOAs, helping with resale values. I'll take it.
So, in essence, one reason to like HOAs is because a lot of people don't like them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate