Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM

173 posts, read 2,149,878 times

Advertisements

As someone who has a substantially inaccurate zestimate on my home I am curious if anyone has been successful in getting Zillow to correct or delete an inaccurate zestimate on their home. If yes how did you go about this? Was it a simple request to Zillow? Did you get an attorney to contact Zillow on your behalf? Or some other approach?

When you read complaints of erroneous zestimates posted on the Zillow Advice Forum it appears that most people just give up after one or two posts and receiving snide and snarky comments from the handful of Zillow cheerleaders that seem to dominate that forum. I am sure many other homeowners will similarly welcome advice on how to get nonsense zestimates resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
You can go on Zillow and "claim" your home. You can correct any discrepancies with regard to location, sq footage, rooms, etc. This should make you "zestimate" more accurate. However, Zillow zestimates by nature will always be inaccurate, because they do not always use accurate historical data. If you live in a neighborhood of $200K homes and some idiot neighbor lists his home for $1M, it will raise your zestimate, even if the home never sells.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Arson.

Torch the place and the Zestimate will be high for months.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Are Zestimates actually useful for something that someone cares what their Zestimate is? I didn't know anyone actually used them for anything. They are notoriously so incorrect, I thought everyone had dismissed them as a resource by now.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbiton View Post
I am sure many other homeowners will similarly welcome advice on how to get nonsense zestimates resolved.
I could care less about what zestimates figure says, and I'm curious as to why you care? The figure means nothing.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
1. People (prospective sellers) care about Zestimates because idiots (prospective buyers) sometimes base their offer on that figure.

2. People (homeowners) care about Zestimates because they feel insulted by the low number.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbiton View Post
As someone who has a substantially inaccurate zestimate on my home I am curious if anyone has been successful in getting Zillow to correct or delete an inaccurate zestimate on their home. If yes how did you go about this? Was it a simple request to Zillow? Did you get an attorney to contact Zillow on your behalf? Or some other approach?
Why are you concerned about it? Do you know anyone who takes Zestimates seriously?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Why are you concerned about it? Do you know anyone who takes Zestimates seriously?
There are a number of posts in this very forum where prospective purchasers quote the zestimate, usually inferring that a home is overpriced. So sellers with a low zesstimate should be concerned.

Best bet for a seller in that situation is to "claim" the home on zillow, then "correct" the features of the home (add 10 bedrooms, double the lot size, etc). Youll then have a cartoonishly high zesstimate & potential purchasers will look at real comps for pricing data.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
It really isn't that complicated. If a buyer made an offer based on a zestimate simply show them your own support of actual data to justify the price. If they are so stupid that the only thing they will use is zillow then you simply move on. You can't fix stupid.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Remember is that Zillow's Zestimates are an independent number and that information is not regulated like in an appraisal. It is not now, nor ever has been considered as an appraisal. Zillow cannot be forced to change their Zestimate even if a home owner disagrees with the information posted on their site.

If a potential buyer is using a Zestimate to make an offer and it is too low, then refuse their offer or counter offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate