Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 PM

297 posts, read 573,441 times

Advertisements

Yesterday morning I was reading/posting in the "Despondent...And Just Plain Venting" thread and Realtor Brandon Hoffman suggested that the OP update any brass hardware in the house to nickel or bronze.

Yesterday afternoon, I had a company give me an estimate for new exterior French doors which will also need new hardware, and after I signed the order, the man told me I should buy a nickel or bronze doorknob/deadbolt. The doors will have stainless steel hinges so they don't rust and discolor like the existing ones did.

Okay, twice in one day; somebody is trying to tell me something.

The reason I'm posting this here (rather than the interior decorating forum) is because we want to sell in the next year or so, and everything I do from here on out is with an eye toward selling. Also, I don't watch HGTV, read home decorating magazines, and generally don't give a rat's behind about what's "in."

So I look around and realize there's shiny brass everywhere in this house! 12 interior doors with shiny brass latch style doorknobs (in good shape) and brass hinges that are discolored (amazing what you start seeing once you read this forum and look at your house with a critical eye!).

So, nickel or bronze? In case it matters, the house is what I'd call a contemporary open floor plan with multiple levels of ceiling heights. You open the front door to a wide hallway that opens to the formal living room/dining room on the right, which are open to each other, and an alcove with a bedroom and bathroom on the left, then proceed to the kitchen open to the great room with different levels of ceiling height, and I think the ceiling at its peak is at least 18 feet tall. The French doors are at the back of the house (visible from the front door) in a wall of windows/doors facing the pool-to-lake view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
which color would compliment the decor?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I think nickle is starting to be past its prime, and that bronze or antique bronze, is the new preference. However, in trendy modern homes the new favorite is chrome.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Kay says she's going to sell in a year or so. Within that time I don't think the nickel finish will be out of style, at least not in our part of the country; it's been around awhile and I think it's becoming "classic." I think it would look nice in a contemporary home.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
which color would compliment the decor?
This. The great thing about those hinges is they blend well enough when they start to tarnish that you usually only need to replace the door knobs and striker plates! If you were to replace the doors like I suggested to the other poster it would be a good time to do everything but if you already have an acceptable interior door just do the knobs (that's all most people notice anyway). Also, if you have brass lighting change that out too, doesn't have to be be fancy. You can get a nice contractor pack of globes for $40-50 and a basic chandelier for under $100. For the rest just hit it with a fresh neutral color and clean or replace carpet as needed and it makes the house look new all over again.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
When they start to tarnish, it's time to get the Brasso out. When they are pretty again, coat them with clear nail polish.

I love brass. But I spent a lot of time in the fire service polishing it.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM

257 posts, read 491,530 times
We're selling our house this spring and it was built in early 1990's and so light fixture had brass, and faucets and door knobs were chrome. Changed the light fixtures and old faucets with brushed nickel. Changed kitchen and bathroom countertops to granite. We watch too many HGTV shows to ignore buyers' usual complaints about outdated light fixtures and tile countertops. This weekend, we're getting the kit cabinets lacquered and add cabinet doorknobs. With the recent interior painting, our 20 year old house looks more up-to-date and ready to be listed. oh, the layout is open floor plan like OP's.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
To get some ideas, go out and visit your local kitchen showroom place(s) and notice what type of hardware is popular. It's usually a safe bet if you are planning to sell, to keep things relatively neutral, subtle, and not shiney. You can also go to the HGTV website which is excellent, and search for ideas.

The most important hardware you want to concentrate on will be what is on the front door. An attractive front door color with updated hardware makes a nice first impression.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
To get some ideas, go out and visit your local kitchen showroom place(s) and notice what type of hardware is popular. It's usually a safe bet if you are planning to sell, to keep things relatively neutral, subtle, and not shiney. You can also go to the HGTV website which is excellent, and search for ideas.

The most important hardware you want to concentrate on will be what is on the front door. An attractive front door color with updated hardware makes a nice first impression.
I'll add to that and suggest you go to visit new homes in your area. Builders know what the buyers in your area are buying, from their Realtors and decorators.

For example...in Florida, many people like tile in their kitchen. In NC, many more like hardwood floors in their kitchen.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
don't watch HGTV
You can learn a lot. Positives and negatives. I suggest you start watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate