Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,400 times

Advertisements

My mother died 23 years ago. My brother lived with my mother and contiued to live in the house and paid all taxes, etc. after she died. She made it clear to me(his sister) that my brother should have the house. Unfortunately, my brother never had the Deed put in his name. He would like to sell the house. What does he have to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
He has to go through probate.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Even if the deed was in both names, there needs to be, as Silverfall said, a probate of the estate. Did your mother die intestate (I'm assuming that is the case) so you will need to go to court to have an administrator appointed. You can "opt out" of receiving anything from the estate thereby leaving your brother to inherit everything after fees and taxes - assuming it is just the 2 of you with no other heirs. Your brother (and anyone else inheriting any property (not specifically limited to land/house but all jewelry, china, silver, etc.) will have to pay estate taxes (probably with interest) back to the date of death of your mother.

I strongly suggest you at least consult with an attorney, even if you decide to handle this yourselves. You can find a low-cost initial consultation through your local Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service. Generally the fee for a half-hour consultation is less than $100 - and it would be money well-spent.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,400 times
Thank-You NY Annie.

Actually my Mother did not die w/o a will. I have a copy signed by My Mother, her lawyer and a Witness, The original was apparently with the lawyer The assesment of my mother's property was done and I had my Waiver and Consent form noterized and forwarded to the lawyer. Apparently my brother's lawyer got sick and died w/o filing the Will I checked the courts...made contact with the witness and the lawyer's family...they don't have the original.

The only assest is the house and my brother is the sole beneficiary. he's has paid all taxes , made repairs etc never was a question that house belong to him......it was my Mother's wish and my objective is to get the house in his name. I'm shocked he never had the deed changed...what a mess.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM

936 posts, read 2,201,539 times
You definitely need an attorney. For some situations like this there might be a title company that would issue a policy after you provide them with a death certificate. After all, many people die and there estate doesn't go through probate; and yet, their heirs are able to sell their property by making sure they can get title insurance on it in order to ensure the borrower's interest. But be sure to get legal advice first.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegriffin View Post
Thank-You NY Annie.

Actually my Mother did not die w/o a will. I have a copy signed by My Mother, her lawyer and a Witness, The original was apparently with the lawyer The assesment of my mother's property was done and I had my Waiver and Consent form noterized and forwarded to the lawyer. Apparently my brother's lawyer got sick and died w/o filing the Will I checked the courts...made contact with the witness and the lawyer's family...they don't have the original.

The only assest is the house and my brother is the sole beneficiary. he's has paid all taxes , made repairs etc never was a question that house belong to him......it was my Mother's wish and my objective is to get the house in his name. I'm shocked he never had the deed changed...what a mess.

The problem is this: without the original will and having closed the estate, you are faced with an intestate situation. Your brother was unable to "change the deed" - and that requires a transfer of the property. Deeds are not changed; ownership of real property (land) can only be changed by transfer through a deed.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
Twenty-three years is a long time to wait to take care of this. As others have said, you need to see a qualified real estate/estate attorney.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,293 times
Well, where is the deed? Did she sign a quitclaim deed before she expired?
If she did sign that deed before she died, then all he has to do is file it.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 PM

If there is, indeed, any deed with your brother's name on it, not having filed it 23 years ago or 50 years does not make it invalid. File it soonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate