Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times

Advertisements

While the inspector may not be able to assess the roof that is maintained by the HOA they can look at the siding and point out potential issues. In our area the building envelope is the major cause for special assessments and a good inspector (particularly one who inspects apartment buildings) should be able to comment on the condition s/he sees. Pay attention to the building ventilation system pressure (more negative pressure is not better), particularly on conversions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Thanks guys for the feedback. The mention of potential water leaks actually rings a bell, it reminds me to use a home inspector that has a infrared camera to detect leaks.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Get a home inspection.

Not only do you want the heat/ A/C, plumbing/ electrical, etc. inspected but you also want to know the construction of the unit. Any sound proofing in the walls, are the fire stops between units adequate and complete.

You want to know about the things that might be the responsibility of the HOA association.
That could be leaky overhangs, bad siding, insect damage to siding, poor drainage, cracked patios slabs, rotten decking, so on and so forth. Sure they are supposed to take care of it. But they may not do it right away- they may not do it for a long time or they may decide to gather together a special assessment before they do it to the complex.

In the meantime you're living there with things rotting away or deteriorating which impacts your use of the unit and your ability to sell or rent should you decide to do so before a HOA repair is undertaken.
QUESTION: Does a buyer's inspector need the condo board's permission to inspect the condo's roof, foundation, siding, decks, and other common areas? Or, does the seller/seller's agent just give a heads-up notice call to the condo board prez that an inspector will be coming on Friday at 11AM to look around the entire complex?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:25 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
QUESTION: Does a buyer's inspector need the condo board's permission to inspect the condo's roof, foundation, siding, decks, and other common areas? Or, does the seller/seller's agent just give a heads-up notice call to the condo board prez that an inspector will be coming on Friday at 11AM to look around the entire complex?
In my experience, you do have to ask permission as you're not a unit owner and these areas usually require a key to access that unit owners don't have. However, I've never been denied permission to inspect these areas.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:02 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Also check on the financial stability of the HOA. The annual reports and budget should be available to you. If they have had large dues increases or unusual assessments, you may want to dig deeper into it. This could signify upcoming expenses that you didn't anticipate.
This is the most important point in my opinion. At the last condo I had, all major expenses, like a new roof, turned into assessments for the owners. The board didn't put enough into reserves.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
What do you mean by no a/c?

Yes, as others said, get the inspection. First, you'd kick yourself if you didn't and a problem came up.

He can also give a look around and point out the condition of the deck, the common roof, flashing, common siding, how outside steps are maintained, something shody, something looking old sooner than it should, etc. So you could find out the complex may not be good to invest in and you can cancel your contract.

You may have missed a leak showing in the wall of a closet, or buckling that can indicate water is getting inside somehow, and so on.

Get a good one.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
If they have had large dues increases or unusual assessments, you may want to dig deeper into it. This could signify upcoming expenses that you didn't anticipate.
Yep, do the inspection. The condo could have on going issues that have not been resolved because the association has no money to fix it. Or the association thinks its the owners problem not the association's problem. Remember, these associations are run by volunteers.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,699 times
hi all, can I do the inspection after I make an offer and win?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,699 times
because if I find something, i will want to cancel buying the condo.
I am in the state of Washington. And this is a condo.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOtoRTP View Post
because if I find something, i will want to cancel buying the condo.
I am in the state of Washington. And this is a condo.
It depends on what your contract for sale and purchase says. If it says you can walk based on the results of the inspection, you can walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate