Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:59 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times

Advertisements

I'm not exactally sure on what my part of this is..

Story is I helped a family for nearly 15 years with their Dad.
He left me a few Condo's in his will. Mostly 3- 2 bed 2 bath..
one in Boca worth over 650,000..

I havent met with anyone yet,lawyers and such..
What would be my best bet... I dont want to sell..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Don't do anything until you speak with a lawyer and possibly a CPA. You will probably be subject to taxes and if the gentleman you cared for has a family, they may contest the will. Best wishes to you.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Absolutely talk with an accountant and a lawyer. You don't want to make any decisions that you will later regret.

I assume you plan on renting them out since you state you don't want to sell them. Do you have any experience with being a LL? Don't assume it is easy and the money just rolls in.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
(Tax) accountant and lawyer time.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
It's very possible that they already have tenants and management companies in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if family contests the will, so don't spend your money yet. People can get unreasonibly ugly over wills and estates.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
And make sure you have insurance on these properties!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
Sorry for your loss, but have to also say congrats. That just felt wrong, but you know what I mean. By seeing your post count against your reps, you're either very smart or very nice, probably both. I'm guessing you deserve this wonderful gift, and I'm hoping the family agrees. It was his wishes, they should remember that. As you can tell I have nothing else to offer as others posted what I would have.

Hope you keep us updated, as I for one am curious about what his family will say/do.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't do anything until you speak with a lawyer and possibly a CPA. You will probably be subject to taxes and if the gentleman you cared for has a family, they may contest the will. Best wishes to you.
Good advise however you need to find out what management company handles them, contact them to find out what you need to do to get the rental income headed your way. In addition, contact the HOAs so you can find out the status of the HOA dues, non payment can result in, not only liens but possible foreclosure. As others have said being a LL is not just sitting back and letting the cash roll in, if they are short term rentals the work just increased 3 fold as the wear and tear is out of sight.
Don't worry about insurance, if they are condos the HOA carries structural coverage as part of their quarterly fees. Being rentals there probably is a policy covering the contents along with liability insurance.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Lawyer up fast as you know anyone even remotely related to the person is going to object/contest, whatever and come after you. That is only a matter of time. Also you need a legal status check on the places. Mortgages, notes, rental agreements, deed restrictions, taxes owed, etc.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Congratulations (maybe) or your inheritance. As mentioned, until the personal representative or attorney that is handling the estate contacts you, you likely do not have to do anything. There could be lots of legal issues that may need to be ironed out. You should not have any tax consequences, any taxes will be the responsibility of the estate. However, if there is any liability (mortgages, back taxes, etc.) those will have to be cared for before you can take title. Again the estates responsibility.

The value of the properties needs to be determined at the time of transfer to you. Which could be days or years away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate