Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM

493 posts, read 980,810 times

Advertisements

So, this whole shopping for a house has been a nightmare. Between houses getting put under contract while we were on our way to view them, to sellers refusing to negotiate even though the listing price was excessively higher than any recent comps, we finally made an offer that was accepted. Happiness ensued, we starting making plans, hired the inspector...

The inspector is reporting that the roof has excessive wear and tear even though the MLS listing said it was replaced in 07. He also found mold in the attic from a bad bathroom vent, and some exposed wiring in the attic leading to the family room.

I just feel so deflated. We are waiting for the official inspection report, my agent is talking about an extension to the allotted inspection time, we need to get the information to our attorney... its just like a punch in the gut.

What is the typical course of action for something like this? We don't really have the cash reserves to pay for repairs out of pocket, if the seller refuses to make repairs are we just out the inspection fee and back at square one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> if the seller refuses to make repairs are we just out the inspection fee and back at square one?

Yes. Although it is imaginable he will offer a concession on price.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Relax

1. Inspectors always find something. If they did not, you would be unhappy.

2. Some issues are minor and some are not.

3. If the seller wants to sell, they will fix most/all of the issues.

4. You have to decide which ones are really important to you and MUST be corrected.

5. The professionals (real estate agents on both sides) have been through this before.

6. Relax.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
3. If the seller wants to sell, they will fix most/all of the issues.
Very market dependent. When we were shopping last year, a lot of the houses priced within $100K of the the median had serious issues - many needing another $20K to even $100K+ in repairs/upgrades. Sellers might give a little concession to close a deal, but go with a different offer if someone demands fixing everything.

OP, your inspection report is disappointing but doesn't seem all that bad. Bring in a contractor for estimates so you have an idea of what it'll cost - but as I found out, some of the issues weren't even worth fixing until it was time to remodel.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
So, this whole shopping for a house has been a nightmare. Between houses getting put under contract while we were on our way to view them, to sellers refusing to negotiate even though the listing price was excessively higher than any recent comps, we finally made an offer that was accepted. Happiness ensued, we starting making plans, hired the inspector...

The inspector is reporting that the roof has excessive wear and tear even though the MLS listing said it was replaced in 07. He also found mold in the attic from a bad bathroom vent, and some exposed wiring in the attic leading to the family room.

I just feel so deflated. We are waiting for the official inspection report, my agent is talking about an extension to the allotted inspection time, we need to get the information to our attorney... its just like a punch in the gut.

What is the typical course of action for something like this? We don't really have the cash reserves to pay for repairs out of pocket, if the seller refuses to make repairs are we just out the inspection fee and back at square one?
Except for the roof the other things are minor. The roof can have excessive wear and tear due to many reasons, hailstorms, windstorms, or the owner doing something stupid. Sometimes it is just cheap roofing material and a crappy install job.

Mold from improper venting is really common out here. It is about a $50 fix and then cleanup. Most homeowners choose to clean the mold themselves rather than hire a remediator, since they charge crazy dollars. The EPA has information on mold cleanup on their site.

Exposed wiring typically just needs a junction box or to be placed into conduit. Neither of which are expensive.

I think you need to take a deep breath, and let your agent and attorney guide you through repair negotiations.

If that is all that is wrong with the house, I would say that is a pretty clean inspection from my perspective.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
The inspector is reporting that the roof has excessive wear and tear
found mold in the attic from a bad bathroom vent
some exposed wiring in the attic

What is the typical course of action for something like this?
You say "next!" and get back out there looking.
Or you accept that since so few good houses are on the market now...
you should wait another year.

The point is that these are more about being symptoms than problems.
They indicate low levels of care all along.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM

493 posts, read 980,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Except for the roof the other things are minor. The roof can have excessive wear and tear due to many reasons, hailstorms, windstorms, or the owner doing something stupid. Sometimes it is just cheap roofing material and a crappy install job.

Mold from improper venting is really common out here. It is about a $50 fix and then cleanup. Most homeowners choose to clean the mold themselves rather than hire a remediator, since they charge crazy dollars. The EPA has information on mold cleanup on their site.

Exposed wiring typically just needs a junction box or to be placed into conduit. Neither of which are expensive.

I think you need to take a deep breath, and let your agent and attorney guide you through repair negotiations.

If that is all that is wrong with the house, I would say that is a pretty clean inspection from my perspective.
Yes, actually. After talking with my agent and the inspector some more I think I was overreacting and thinking things were worse than they actually were. The roof is the biggest concern, and apparently it is just a small section of the roof that is "bubbling" as if a little water got under the shingles and froze. He did say there was no noticeable water damage from the attic to indicate there was a leak, so probably just a less than stellar job when the roof was replaced.

The other issues sounded serious, but as the inspector explained them I am growing less concerned. The mold in the attic is apparently contained and very small, he said we could get a chemical treatment and handle it ourselves without any problem. Does highly suggest getting the vent extended so it vents outside instead of into the attic. The wiring issue was actually "accordion wire" (I forget the exact technical term he used) which apparently most cities around here limit to 6 feet, and the family room uses about 10.

All the other issues were really minor, water heater is nearing the end of its useful life, cracking in the driveway asphalt, one window isn't properly weather sealed, and the rain spouts end too close to the home.

All told, I just overreacting and rushed here before having all the facts, and now I feel a fool. Getting the report to my attorney in the morning and will see about getting a concession for the roof, but so far it sounds good.

Thanks all

Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:

All told, I just overreacting and rushed here before having all the facts, and now I feel a fool. Getting the report to my attorney in the morning and will see about getting a concession for the roof, but so far it sounds good.

Thanks all
You should never feel like a fool. You are spending a lot of money on this house. It isn't like buying a blender or something inexpensive. Honestly, I would bet you overreacted because the house buying process hasn't been a positive one for you so far. It is easy to get overly stressed when things aren't going well overall.

The fix for the mold is exactly what the inspector said. You extend the vent to properly vent out the roof. Then you clean the mold. I said $50, but the last one was $150. $50 for the materials, and $100 for the contractor labor to do it. I'd say at least 25% of homes out here have that problem.

I wish you good luck on your repair negotiations.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Yes, actually. After talking with my agent and the inspector some more I think I was overreacting and thinking things were worse than they actually were. The roof is the biggest concern, and apparently it is just a small section of the roof that is "bubbling" as if a little water got under the shingles and froze. He did say there was no noticeable water damage from the attic to indicate there was a leak, so probably just a less than stellar job when the roof was replaced.

The other issues sounded serious, but as the inspector explained them I am growing less concerned. The mold in the attic is apparently contained and very small, he said we could get a chemical treatment and handle it ourselves without any problem. Does highly suggest getting the vent extended so it vents outside instead of into the attic. The wiring issue was actually "accordion wire" (I forget the exact technical term he used) which apparently most cities around here limit to 6 feet, and the family room uses about 10.

All the other issues were really minor, water heater is nearing the end of its useful life, cracking in the driveway asphalt, one window isn't properly weather sealed, and the rain spouts end too close to the home.

Thanks all
I had an almost identical inspection reported today.

Short sale, cash buyer, lender idiotically approved their offer at 3K less than the original offer. I represent the seller. Buyer is "freaking" over a couple of what I would consider pretty minor issues.

I have a competing offer. I tried to remind the selling agent that; A. They got a 3K bonus from the lender. B. I have a buyer (loan, not cash like her clients) who is handy enough and motivated enough to forgo any issues with the inspection.

Every situation is different of course, but if you want the property, your choice is to ask the seller for repairs, walk, or bite the bullet and realize that the perfect home does not exist. My home certainly wasn't when we bought it.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
The objective of the inspection has been accomplished -- Now is the time to correct problems and work-out the cost responsibility details (it's not personal or a negative thing). Look at it this way, how would you like it if you completed the purchase ... and then discovered these problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate