Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:52 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times

Advertisements

Let me apologize before I get started. This is a vent. . . . And possibly my farewell to the C-D forum (unless I feel much better after I vent ). You know . . . the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Okay here's what happened. Checking on my local boards, and there's a question about an area I'm very familiar with (although I don't live there anymore I still have friends there) and the commute time to downtown. The OP is thinking of moving to the area from a town in another state that I'm also very familiar with . . . So I post a benign comment about some of the things they'll want to investigate before they consider the move. . . . Then someone else posts something to the effect "Oh, you don't want to move there because it will take you 1-3/4 hours to commute to downtown. You should move to my neighborhood instead." Well, that's where I got into trouble. I just hate inaccuracies (always have, even as a kid). So, since I frequently drive that route during rush hour, I posted what had been my experience - 3/4 hr, not 1-3/4 hr. Watch out!!!! I had no idea that would set so many people off. Of course, nobody else posting drives that particular commute, but everybody attacked me. The final post was the one that really got me, though. She said, "Why should anyone believe you?", etc, etc. And ended her post with "and I'm NOT a realtor". As if to say, you can't believe anything a realtor tells you.

My skin is getting thin. I'm so tired of these attacks that if we're realtors then we MUST be lying. I'll tell you what - it's not worth trying to be helpful and informative, just to be accused of lying because I happen to be a realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
CD has a rule that forbids personal attacks. The use of pejoratives is considered by CD to be a personal attack. So if the perpetrator considers "realtor" a pejorative it is a personal attack and CD punishes such with suspensions.

It has also been established that the truth of the pejorative is irrelevant to the attack.

So turn the aggressor in to CD for a personal attack. The moderators will take care of it.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Let you in on a little secret.....I started appraising 25 years ago because of all the dumb s**** I had to deal with.....owners who thought their house had improved in value 20% over the last year just because they graced it with their presence; loan officers who think we are hired to "make the deal work" instead of providing the truth to lenders; buyers who think that because the prices in San Diego are dropping that we need to give away our houses in Oklahoma........

Just remember, that if you tell it like it is and they ignore you, they get to suffer the consequences. Besides, NO ONE on these forums pay your bills.......sleep good tonight, you gave an honest answer....you did what you could.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:03 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,685 times
Don't leave C-D!!!!! There's always the bad apples. In today's market people are just frustrated for a number of reasons and looking for someone to skapegoat, we're just easy targets.

Your reputation on the board should be enough for any smart person to see putting more weight to what you say, more than some schmoe.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:05 PM

335 posts, read 1,181,326 times
Gretchen

I am sorry to hear about what happened. I really hope you do not let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I have read some of your other posts before and found them to be very helpful. I hope you will continue on and keep helping us. Cheer up!

Liz

Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Oh Gretchen, don't go! Your perspective is most needed around here.

I got shredded on a different forum for expressing an opinion. If you tell the truth and people don't want to hear it, well their loss. That is how I am looking at this other forum. I answered the question honestly, but there are soooo many people who wear rose colored glasses. I imagine the person(s) who spoke against you are frustrated sellers and have misdirected their frustration with their own agents in your general direction.

I think I have some skin thickening lotion around here somewhere.......

Old 10-28-2007, 07:17 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,113 times
You cannot be bothered by those who have a need to be "right" rather than a need to be correct.

"Nothing is as approved as mediocrity, the majority has established it and it fixes it fangs on whatever gets beyond it either way."
Blaise Pascal

Old 10-28-2007, 07:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Let me apologize before I get started. This is a vent. . . . And possibly my farewell to the C-D forum (unless I feel much better after I vent ). You know . . . the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Okay here's what happened. Checking on my local boards, and there's a question about an area I'm very familiar with (although I don't live there anymore I still have friends there) and the commute time to downtown. The OP is thinking of moving to the area from a town in another state that I'm also very familiar with . . . So I post a benign comment about some of the things they'll want to investigate before they consider the move. . . . Then someone else posts something to the effect "Oh, you don't want to move there because it will take you 1-3/4 hours to commute to downtown. You should move to my neighborhood instead." Well, that's where I got into trouble. I just hate inaccuracies (always have, even as a kid). So, since I frequently drive that route during rush hour, I posted what had been my experience - 3/4 hr, not 1-3/4 hr. Watch out!!!! I had no idea that would set so many people off. Of course, nobody else posting drives that particular commute, but everybody attacked me. The final post was the one that really got me, though. She said, "Why should anyone believe you?", etc, etc. And ended her post with "and I'm NOT a realtor". As if to say, you can't believe anything a realtor tells you.

My skin is getting thin. I'm so tired of these attacks that if we're realtors then we MUST be lying. I'll tell you what - it's not worth trying to be helpful and informative, just to be accused of lying because I happen to be a realtor.
i dont like the personal attacks and i dont like the red dots.
it gets ugly. that teaches me that there are ugly people out there.
but i also learn thru my little window that there are also nice people out there like you. so there is hope.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,626 times
Yeah ..... what they said!

Besides, there's been a full moon and Halloween is right around the corner and rumor has it that the aliens from Area 51 & Roswell are on the move this weekend, so just ignore the Grumps!!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
Yeah ..... what they said!

Besides, there's been a full moon and Halloween is right around the corner and rumor has it that the aliens from Area 51 & Roswell are on the move this weekend, so just ignore the Grumps!!
Well, if that doesn't make you feel better I don't know what will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate