Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,202,052 times

Advertisements

We had hoped to put in an offer on a new Centex inventory home here. We needed a 10% discount off the list price to afford it. Our agent just spoke to the builder agent, and unfortunately they are offering NO discounts at all on inventory homes. Their only current promotion is $10k in free upgrades off a pre-construction home.

We're in total shock. I guess we got too attached to this particular home, and assumed we could get a solid deal in this market. Granted, the community is in a great location, and is cheaper than neighboring ones.

But this exact community was offering 10% off inventory homes in August! And the market here has gotten worse since then. And another Centex community 8 miles away is offering $25,000 off any inventory home.

My agent says we should offer what we can afford anyway, just to make sure. Do you realistically think the builder agents have a policy of saying "no discounts", but really do if you negotiate hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,666,791 times
I don't think it can hurt to put in an offer.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 PM

582 posts, read 2,007,279 times
You aren't going to lose anything by submitting an offer... but in the meantime I would urge you to keep looking in case this doesn't work.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,494,805 times
What do you have to lose? Unless these homes are flying off the market, they need to sell them.
If not now, in a few weeks & especially in Jan when ARMs reset, you may see some movement.
I've always been told anyone can negotiate. But at the same time, Centex could have a strict policy in place due to the market.
I'd still put in what you can afford but at the same time, may have to sit on it awhile & see what happens the next few months.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,828,163 times
Make the offer. worst you will hear is no, and that puts you in the same position you are now. No worse off.. But if you hear YES.. well you are ahead of the game....

Shelly

Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,299,535 times
Of course they are going to tell you that b/c they want you to put in a full price offer! The builders agent wants to get her full pay so to speak.
Put in the offer you want and then sit and wait. They may reject you or they may agree to yours. I would see what other homes have gone for and try to determine if they are dying to get rid of inventory. If they are moving inventory on a regular basis, then they probably won't accept your offer. But, if they haven't sold much in the last 3 months, then you may get what you want.
"you only get out of life what you have the courage to ask for!" (Oprah, I think

Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,568,661 times
Make an offer with a pre-approved loan. The builder will reject your offer when you just ask them because they don't want to agree on the phone and then, you send a even lower offer. If you and your realtor walk into their office, put down your offer and a preapproved loan in writing, they will tell you that they need to call their boss and usually accept the offer in this market. Just my experience.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
Blue, in this market you need to just make your offer. Either they take it or they don't. You have nothing to lose because there are boatloads of nice homes out there lowering their prices every day. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,678,645 times
The builders agent never backs down in the beginning. Negotiating 101. Luckily for me when I bought, it was right before the quarter closed and the agent needed the sale to make her #'s look good.

LingLing makes a good point. You hold the cards in this market. Take advantage of it.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,202,052 times
Thanks for the info all. We've decided to go ahead and make an offer in writing (with preapproved loan) at 10% below list price. My agent says this is a good idea because she can rationalize that offer to the builder (since they were offering 10% off back in Aug).

This same community was offering me a $20k promotion that expired a week ago. Our agent is saying we should hopefully be able to get that, if we don't get the 10%. Yes, and we do think it's odd that they were offering me $20k last week, but the other on-site agent told our agent "no incentives at all" yesterday.

When you deal with a big builder like this, who is actually making the final decision to accept or not? Do the on-site agents do it? A sales manager at the corporate office? An accounting person at corporate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate