Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times

Advertisements

It's simply a way to further identify and describe the person and the fact that they may or may not have heirs, dowry or curtsy rights, etc. All states have similar wording for "a married couple", "Husband and wife by the entirety" (the marriage actually holds title, not an individual person), a "single person" (never married), "an unmarried woman" (not currently married but had been at some time in the past), "as her/his own separate property" (a married woman or man holding title alone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Well, perhaps I AM a little sensitive... and shot the messenger, so to speak. It just looked funny to me, in black and white like that. And yes, the agent did explain the legal purpose behind the terminology.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The perceived difference I think is more from the person being called such and not others. I think some women just let it bother them more than it bothers many men.
"Dower and courtesy rights have been abolished in most states" Common law was never meant to be equal.

lol Why should men be bothered? the "perceived difference" being that a man is single by choice and a woman is not. This is not true, but I believe the general public perception holds, at least in my part of the USA.

We will never agree, Mike. I wonder how old you are. I am old.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
"Dower and courtesy rights have been abolished in most states" Common law was never meant to be equal.

lol Why should men be bothered? the "perceived difference" being that a man is single by choice and a woman is not. This is not true, but I believe the general public perception holds, at least in my part of the USA.

We will never agree, Mike. I wonder how old you are. I am old.
I'm old enough but I think I will hold my tongue as the discussion of age is something else that on average will bother women more.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Again a regional difference pops up. In most of the west (at least those regions occupied by Mexico in the past) community property laws exists that are very much different from back east where British Common Law was the foundation for the real estate laws.

My wife actually owns our home as JAS a married woman as her sole and separate property. I had to sign an Interspousal transfer deed when we bought the place further insulating her from one of my former spouses. (LOL Don't ask)

Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM

295 posts, read 338,003 times
I know we all hate these designations but I know for my own family doing a family tree for those distant relatives of the past it was a way to say oh what happened to this persons husband or wife because on such and such date she was married and now a few years later she is unmarried so you are able to look around to find more informaition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate