Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

The photos in this link are all pics of houses that were/are for sale. I wonder how much photo editing would be necessary to make them more marketable?

Ugly House Photos » Hazards

Most of these houses are in the Phoenix area but other cities/states are also represented.

There are many more photos in links on the left and right sides of the page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 PM

143 posts, read 385,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Buying photos, rather than buying real estate, is a great modus operandi for a buyer to miss a lot of the market.

"Oh dear, there is just too much glare in the photos from the windows!"
Someone else will recognize a good house and buy it. It happens every day.
The point isn't whether it's right or wrong for a buyer to overlook a house with bad photos. The fact is, it does happen (as you just attested). Therefore, it follows that in order to get the most possible interest (which should lead to a faster sale and/or a better price), as a seller you want to make sure you have great photos.

And as a buyer, every time I've been in the market, there have been far more houses that nominally fit my criteria (area, price, size, rooms, etc.) than I have time to physically view. So I have to apply some filters to narrow it down. If I have to decide between two houses, one of which has pictures good enough that I can tell I'll probably like it, and one that doesn't, the decision is easy. Obviously it's rarely that simple, and there are a ton of other things I consider before deciding whether to view a house or not, but the pictures have to play a role. Maybe these days with super constrained inventory it's not such a problem. Maybe buyers can go see all the houses in person. But I've never had that luxury.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Really?!?

I believe the agent is technically supposed to get the house sold. I think the listing contract revolves around that point.
You are selling a product. That's it.

Just like you pay to design those big 6x9 postcards will horrible pictures, wasting marketing money...you are a REAL ESTATE AGENT...NOT A photographer, plumber, electrician, car mechanic, ballet dancer, web designer, engineer, astronaut etc etc etc etc X1000000.

That is such a retarded comment that its hard to disregard it, because it gives a BAD NAME to realtors who actually DO their jobs properly. Have you looked at DuPont Registry real estate magazine? take a look, and see how some RE's do hire professional photographers to best present the product their selling. You are probably stationed in crack town somewhere that you think this is NOT part of your job. (I can see how you cling of every commission dollar here).
The sale of a property gets cancelled when the mortgage doesn't go through for the buyer...buyer looses a job, title is not clean, the inspection comes out with many problems that particular buyer is not interested in fixing, buyer dies on his way to the closing, and so forth, things independent of how the property should be represented by an RE...We never used an RE to sell our homes, I took the photos, home sold in 2 days. The way a property is represented is basically telling the buyer how fast the seller wants it sold. Some people look like they want to stay on the market longer.
Quote:
Can sales be canceled when it is determined that an agent shot the photos? Nope.
I just wish people will research REs well before hiring one to sell their home. Some REs think that just by listing the property on MLS is guaranteed sold...

Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
You are selling a product. That's it.

Just like you pay to design those big 6x9 postcards will horrible pictures, wasting marketing money...you are a REAL ESTATE AGENT...NOT A photographer, plumber, electrician, car mechanic, ballet dancer, web designer, engineer, astronaut etc etc etc etc X1000000.

That is such a retarded comment that its hard to disregard it, because it gives a BAD NAME to realtors who actually DO their jobs properly. Have you looked at DuPont Registry real estate magazine? take a look, and see how some RE's do hire professional photographers to best present the product their selling. You are probably stationed in crack town somewhere that you think this is NOT part of your job. (I can see how you cling of every commission dollar here).
The sale of a property gets cancelled when the mortgage doesn't go through for the buyer...buyer looses a job, title is not clean, the inspection comes out with many problems that particular buyer is not interested in fixing, buyer dies on his way to the closing, and so forth, things independent of how the property should be represented by an RE...We never used an RE to sell our homes, I took the photos, home sold in 2 days. The way a property is represented is basically telling the buyer how fast the seller wants it sold. Some people look like they want to stay on the market longer.

I just wish people will research REs well before hiring one to sell their home. Some REs think that just by listing the property on MLS is guaranteed sold...
You are right. I am contracted to sell a product. It is a house.
I don't sell photographs like a professional photographer does.

Selling the property at price and terms acceptable to the seller are the only results that count.
Nothing else. I get paid to keep my eye on that home sales ball.

Getting showings, offers, and listings sold "gives a bad name to all Realtors?"
Oh, I disagree, but thanks for the grin and chuckle to start my day!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
The point isn't whether it's right or wrong for a buyer to overlook a house with bad photos. The fact is, it does happen (as you just attested). Therefore, it follows that in order to get the most possible interest (which should lead to a faster sale and/or a better price), as a seller you want to make sure you have great photos.

And as a buyer, every time I've been in the market, there have been far more houses that nominally fit my criteria (area, price, size, rooms, etc.) than I have time to physically view. So I have to apply some filters to narrow it down. If I have to decide between two houses, one of which has pictures good enough that I can tell I'll probably like it, and one that doesn't, the decision is easy. Obviously it's rarely that simple, and there are a ton of other things I consider before deciding whether to view a house or not, but the pictures have to play a role. Maybe these days with super constrained inventory it's not such a problem. Maybe buyers can go see all the houses in person. But I've never had that luxury.
Of course photos play a role.
But when is a photo sequence "good enough" to present and sell the property and can that standard only be achieved by a professional photographer?
Is it enough that the photos give you a sense of the house, or do they need to elevate to a level of art that forces you to admire the exceptional skill of the person who shot them? I am guessing it is the former, not necessarily the latter.

Would you automatically rule out any property that you believe was not photographed by a professional?
Of course not.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
You are right. I am contracted to sell a product. It is a house.
I don't sell photographs like a professional photographer does.

Selling the property at price and terms acceptable to the seller are the only results that count.
Nothing else. I get paid to keep my eye on that home sales ball.

Getting showings, offers, and listings sold "gives a bad name to all Realtors?"
Oh, I disagree, but thanks for the grin and chuckle to start my day!
It is sad to see how you just don't fully understand your own job! (we all know who becomes a realtor, and how easy it is).

Here:
Ford
They don't sell photos either. The sell cars, but they don't present them in a bad way for potential buyers. Thanks for proving my point of how useless it is in some cases to hire an RE. A photographer that is photographing "real estate for sale" is not "selling those photos" to anyone else, except gets paid a fee to take them for the RE. These are not the type of architectural photographs that get LICENSED. Sad to see so much ignorance.

Real Estate photographs are not for us to sell......their purpose is to "sell" your property faster! create interest, foot traffic, potential multiple offer situation (not that "that" is good for all buyers), but the goal is to SELL the property.

As a "seller" I would want my property to be represented professionally.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Of course photos play a role.
But when is a photo sequence "good enough" to present and sell the property and can that standard only be achieved by a professional photographer?
Is it enough that the photos give you a sense of the house, or do they need to elevate to a level of art that forces you to admire the exceptional skill of the person who shot them? I am guessing it is the former, not necessarily the latter.

Would you automatically rule out any property that you believe was not photographed by a professional?
Of course not.
"Good Enough" does not equal professionalism in any profession.

This is not about "artistic" anything.

This is about presenting the property in a professional manner. You(the RE) deal with the back and forth between putting offers, closing, etc., and the people qualified to take photos, and design your marketing do their jobs. The idea of this "one stop shop" crap, that one person can do everything is only lowering the general standards. In medicine you can't go by "good enough" when you sew someone back...why should you cut corners in any other profession of YOUR choice? and basically shooting yourself in the foot by promoting a less than great product?

We had a fridge guy come 9 times and the fridge was still broken, finally the management company sent someone else who fixed it in one shot. WHY? because the second guy was doing fridge repairs for 20 years, and it was his main profession, he was not moonlighting as a dentist in his spare time. The other guy was picked up from Craigslist, had no experience, no knowledge but was cheaper (obviously). The 9 times he came he cost the management company 3 times more than the guy who came once and fixed the problem in one appointment.

People need to get rid this "superman" syndrome. It is setting a really bad example for our youth. A "hobby" is not a job.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 AM

If "good enough" is never good enough, who is the absolute finest photographer in the world, and how much would you pay to have the absolute finest photographs for bragging rights?
How long an interview process would you propose to assure that the professional photographer was not inferior to the finest in any respect?

If 90% of listings sell without gratuitously supporting the photography guild, are they sold by unsuccessful sellers and poor agents?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM

I will repeat: RE photography is NOT for photographer's "bragging rights". An RE photog doesn't make more $350 per property per area of the country. You're not understanding how this works at all. Do you think doctors become doctors for "bragging rights" "look, at me, look at me I replaced this guy's heart!!!!!!!!!" does that sounds retarded? that's because it is. You don't seem to understand what a "career" is, and that is pretty sad.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I will repeat: RE photography is NOT for photographer's "bragging rights". An RE photog doesn't make more $350 per property per area of the country. You're not understanding how this works at all. Do you think doctors become doctors for "bragging rights" "look, at me, look at me I replaced this guy's heart!!!!!!!!!" does that sounds retarded? that's because it is. You don't seem to understand what a "career" is, and that is pretty sad.

How much return should the seller expect for his investment in professional photography?
How much faster will a home sell after an investment in professional photography?
Does the seller equal, or double or triple the investment? If the seller can get the same price in the same period of time without paying for professional photography, isn't it reasonable to consider that expense a waste?

If investment does not create a return, it cannot be for much of anything BUT pride and bragging rights.

FWIW, I don't claim to be a doctor, plumber, or ballet dancer. I don't run Ford Motor Company.
This is a REAL ESTATE forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate