Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 AM

41 posts, read 239,116 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have an urgent problem. I rented a room in an apartment over Craigslist without any contract or anything because I just needed it short term til I find another apartment.
In the beginning the owner (who is also the roommate) and me made an agreement about the fix price for 1.5 months and I told him right from the beginning that I'll pay him a quarter of the rent the day I move in and the rest on the first of the month (9 days later) since that's the day I get my salary. He agreed.

Now, from one day to another, he changed his mind. He now says I have to give him the whole rent til tomorrow or I have to leave the apartment tomorrow. I told him I cannot and that I told him in the beginning that I have to wait for my salary which I get in 3 days and I reminded him that he agreed on that too.
He says he doesn't care, money tomorrow or I have to leave.
He's behaving like such a jerk that I don't even mind leaving this week, but since I paid a quarter I actually paid rent til Friday/Saturday this week, so I don't see why I would leave earlier.
He insinsts on it though and I don't have a contract.

What can I do? Should I just stay anyway (I have the apartment keys of course)? Should I call the police?
Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiry View Post
Hi,

I have an urgent problem. I rented a room in an apartment over Craigslist without any contract or anything because I just needed it short term til I find another apartment.
In the beginning the owner (who is also the roommate) and me made an agreement about the fix price for 1.5 months and I told him right from the beginning that I'll pay him a quarter of the rent the day I move in and the rest on the first of the month (9 days later) since that's the day I get my salary. He agreed.

Now, from one day to another, he changed his mind. He now says I have to give him the whole rent til tomorrow or I have to leave the apartment tomorrow. I told him I cannot and that I told him in the beginning that I have to wait for my salary which I get in 3 days and I reminded him that he agreed on that too.
He's behaving like such a jerk that I don't even mind leaving this week, but since I paid a quarter I actually paid rent til Friday/Saturday this week, so I don't see why I would leave earlier.

What can I do? Should I just stay anyway (I have the apartment keys of course)? Should I call the police?
Thanks for any advice!
Just stay until Sat morning or ask for your money back...i would look for a place for the other 1 month. I assume you didn't move much stuff.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM

Yea I def don't wanna stay longer, but I want to stay the time I paid my money for. He won't give me back the money. And he's arguing that usually he charges more for people who just stay for a couple of days so staying til Saturday would usually cost more. But I had his word last week that I can pay the rest of the money in three days.

If I just stay I'm scared what he might do- Throwing my stuff out, calling the police (I know I'm the one who's right, but since I don't have any contract..)...

Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
What state are you in?
Do you have any records for email communication?
Verbal agreement is also a contract.
After leaving that apartment, I would report that owner to IRS - let them check if he reports his rental income...

Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Yea I def don't wanna stay longer, but I want to stay the time I paid my money for. He won't give me back the money. And he's arguing that usually he charges more for people who just stay for a couple of days so staying til Saturday would usually cost more. But I had his word last week that I can pay the rest of the money in three days.

If I just stay I'm scared what he might do- Throwing my stuff out, calling the police (I know I'm the one who's right, but since I don't have any contract..)...
You are in the apartment, if he throws your stuff out you can sue him and he can't just get you kicked out by the police, he would need a court order. They will not just do it on his word.
Stay there till you find another place and don't give him any more money.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
It sounds to me like your roommate has found another roommate and wants you out of the way quickly. Since you are there without a formal lease agreement or contract, you have somewhat eliminated the legal protection that might otherwise be available under the eviction statutes of most states. Still, the fact that he allowed you to move-in with your possessions, based on a verbal agreement, would seem to constitute some basis for complaint... particularly if he chooses to takes action regarding your possessions.

Sounds like you have a very short time to act. While you did not 'protect yourself' from the beginning, I would, at least, take pictures of your stuff 'in' the dwelling --- and also compile any/all supporting information you can (The Craigslist ad would be a good place to start -- Did it specify terms? -- What about the money you paid - Did you pay by check?).

Obviously, it is time to learn from your mistakes here and move-on. Next time, get something in writing.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
This living situation is obviously not going to work out. Move out as fast as you can. Get a contract next time.

Can he throw your stuff out? Legally no. But I've seen it happen before with a landlord I know. He was wrong legally, but did it anyway. The people were uneducated and poor so they didn't do anything about it.

If he does something like this, you could legally fight it, but you would have to take time off to go to court, pay court filing costs (court is not free), possibly consult with a lawyer (more money), etc.

So just move.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM

But I really don't wanna loose my money and I want him to learn my lesson. I know, that probably won't work.
I'm also afraid that he got a new roommate starting on Wednesday who maybe even pays more.
So if I stay I'll also be confronted with that new roommate and his/her suitcase..

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for any advice!
I' cal the cops. Then at least he will know that he can't do that.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
But I really don't wanna loose my money and I want him to learn my lesson.
Well you have paid 1/4 of the month's rent, and you will have stayed 9 days. So you paid for your time there, no more, no less. So what money would you be loosing? Bottom line? You haven't paid your rent, you have no contract. Life lessons are hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate