Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times

Advertisements

Another thing I recommend is to get another inspection 10 months after you move in. Many of the warranties expire after a year and you want to make sure any issues are documented and warranty repair requested in writing before the end of your year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
Go to ashi.org and do a search for inspectors in your area. From the list, try to find a few that have been in business for a fairly long time - 10 years would be great!
Interview them and look at their sample reports. Then pick one and attend the inspection. Be there the entire time.

Inspectors are not a dime a dozen, and we are all not alike.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 AM

93 posts, read 254,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Go to ashi.org and do a search for inspectors in your area. From the list, try to find a few that have been in business for a fairly long time - 10 years would be great!
Interview them and look at their sample reports. Then pick one and attend the inspection. Be there the entire time.

Inspectors are not a dime a dozen, and we are all not alike.
I searched the site. Other than 10+ years in the business, what else should I look for in an inspector? Is the ACI certification important or associate level is just as good? I noticed some inspectors have other alphabets next to their names. Which one of these credentials really means something? Is there any site that reviews inspectors by actual clients like healthgrades for doctors? What's a reasonable rate for a ~2700 sq ft home? Thought I ask before getting fleeced.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookooroo View Post
We bought a new construction in Southern California from KB Home. Would you recommend getting a home inspector to check out the house before closing? Is it worth it or just a waste of money? The salesman we bought from said home inspection is a waste of money as the home comes with warranty and also said our neighbors will probably say the same thing if we ask around. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Absolutely worth it. $400 or so to protect your biggest investment is a bargain. Also with new construction, have an engineer or the County/City engineering dept. inspect the soil stability and grading of your lot. You don't want drainage problems if that is a possibility in your area. Many people forget about the grading issues. Many states/counties require that builders carry a surety bond, insurance, and are subject to scrutiny by a "contractor's board of registration". You're dealing with a franchise builder most likely they have all that. But it means zero if you have to hassle to get things fixed. Get everything done BEFORE the closing. Don't buy the "we'll hold $$ in escrow" b.s.

I also sued a builder, (this was in the northeast, not here) ..... and it took about two years to drag the guy through court, get a settlement, and then had to pay my attorney 33%. We had to pay out of pocket for issues that needed immediate attention, and then wait for the remainder. Example of bonehead building: the home had a full basement, the basement windows were in and the two story house was framed, sided and roofed. He forgot or was in a big hurry to finish the house, that he had to cut a wedge shaped hole in the foyer so the cement truck could pour the basement floor. D'oh ! It wasn't discovered until we moved in and noticed there was a "dent" in the foyer carpeting. It was downhill from there.

Oh yes, the particular builder was the son of the retired county building inspector. Get an inspection.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 AM

65 posts, read 76,745 times
I second that your Realtor is best suited to guide you to a good inspector

Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa O View Post
I second that your Realtor is best suited to guide you to a good inspector
The OP says: "The salesman we bought from said home inspection is a waste of money as the home comes with warranty and also said our neighbors will probably say the same thing if we ask around. Any thoughts? Thanks!"

So it could be that this salesman works for the contractor and wouldn't be the best one to take advice from if you get my drift. It doesn't sound like the OP had a private Realtor as a buyer's agent who will look out for the OP's best interests. Everyone should have a buyer's agent, new construction or not.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
First off, from someone who's bought new a few times and built one myself GET THE INSPECTIONS! The 3 that have been suggested are what I consider the bare minimum. There's a whole lot of sins that can be hidden by sheetrock and mass builders know them all. Studs scabbed together,real green or wet wood that can twist/shrink causing all sorts of issues,too much distance between studs or smaller than they're supposed to be,not enough nails or nails where screws are supposed to be,doors/windows either not located in the proper place or just not there,doors and windows out of square,missing headers etc. That's just framing, there's tons more, hopefully you get the idea.
We had one house where the roof sheeting wasn't installed correctly and a few of the sheets ended up riding on top of each other making the roof look like an ocean. Whoops!
We had another where they used green wood in a corner stud and it twisted causing the finished wall to start to buckle. They just wanted to plaster over it like they were using bondo on a car and hated that we made them tear the wall apart to replace it. This was from a "national builder" that's at least as big as KB if not bigger.

You also may want to look at Angies List for reviews of inspectors in your area.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,055 times
Quilter's Chick -- Absolutely agree that everyone should have a buyer's agent. Ours sat with us through the whole process and pointed out things that we would have missed/forgotten. They've got experience in areas that the usual buyer doesn't not.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Yes, you definitely want the inspection! I've found inspectors through Angie's List and yelp and so far the reviews have been accurate and led me to good inspectors. There were so many issues with the house I purchased that it wasn't even funny (it was new construction). Also, the home warranty really isn't worth the paper it is written on.

My parents have sued 3 builders (and won each time). Just because something is new does NOT mean it was well-built or correctly built. Builders reps are there to sell houses quickly and profitably for the builder, they are NOT looking out for your interest and I would not trust them, personally.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Yes, you definitely want the inspection! I've found inspectors through Angie's List and yelp and so far the reviews have been accurate and led me to good inspectors. There were so many issues with the house I purchased that it wasn't even funny (it was new construction). Also, the home warranty really isn't worth the paper it is written on.

My parents have sued 3 builders (and won each time). Just because something is new does NOT mean it was well-built or correctly built. Builders reps are there to sell houses quickly and profitably for the builder, they are NOT looking out for your interest and I would not trust them, personally.
+1
I would also try to avoid realtor's recommended inspectors at all cost, I would rather try to find someone from your friends who recently bought a house and was happy with his inspector. Angie's List and Yelp would be my second choice. Be aware there is a lot of scam in that industry and ispectors are not responsable for not finding something and they do not guarantee anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate