Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
+1
I would also try to avoid realtor's recommended inspectors at all cost, I would rather try to find someone from your friends who recently bought a house and was happy with his inspector. Angie's List and Yelp would be my second choice. Be aware there is a lot of scam in that industry and ispectors are not responsable for not finding something and they do not guarantee anything at all.
That's the problem. Inspections in theory are amazing, in practice, not so much.

Just see this current thread, " Poor inspection caused termination of contract. Can we get our money back?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
That's the problem. Inspections in theory are amazing, in practice, not so much.

Just see this current thread, " Poor inspection caused termination of contract. Can we get our money back?".
I actually read that thread and the problem there was that the buyer never looked at the place before the final walk through. Inspectors are not hired to comment on cosmetic defects, they are there to find functional defects. In my house the inspector noticed that the bath tub leaked, not that the walls were painted a hideous color. If that buyer wanted to walk away because, as it turned out, the appliances in the condo didn't work, then you'd have a point. That was not the case at all though.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,713,884 times
Enggirl -- Recommendations from your friends are great...but not if you're moving to a place where you don't know anybody.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
+1
I would also try to avoid realtor's recommended inspectors at all cost, I would rather try to find someone from your friends who recently bought a house and was happy with his inspector. Angie's List and Yelp would be my second choice. Be aware there is a lot of scam in that industry and ispectors are not responsable for not finding something and they do not guarantee anything at all.
While I lightly disagree with "there's a lot of scam in that industry" what is imo the biggest problem is lack of education and many times laziness. When the boom started we noticed a surge in the inspectors ranks just like in the RE ranks swelled with people looking to make fast,easy money and a buying public that was ignorant of what they (inspectors) should be doing and the sometimes sketchy relationship between them and RE agents. ASHI and CABO came onto the scene and while good programs they're only as good as the person using them.

As for the statement that "inspectors are not responsible" is not completely true as evidenced by the 2, yes two that I've gone after to date and won both times in court. Both had what seems like the standard boiler plate "we can not be held responsible for anything we miss blah,blah,blah, no refunds blah,blah,blah.

It was decided in both cases that we paid a fee for a "supposed" professional service that we relied on in making the decision to purchase the property and the judges both said that the contract language "flies in the face of common sense and the laws of the state".
It seems judges really aren't thrilled with one-way contracts thankfully.
Oh, just for a bit of humor one of these "professionals" actually said in open court "well, what do you expect for $325?" prompting me to ask "so, if I'd payed $350 I'd have gotten a good job?" The bailiff cracked up, the judge shook his head and smirked. Let the spanking begin!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I actually read that thread and the problem there was that the buyer never looked at the place before the final walk through. Inspectors are not hired to comment on cosmetic defects, they are there to find functional defects. In my house the inspector noticed that the bath tub leaked, not that the walls were painted a hideous color. If that buyer wanted to walk away because, as it turned out, the appliances in the condo didn't work, then you'd have a point. That was not the case at all though.
A hole under the radiator, where the insulation is showing is far different than walls "painted a hideous color".

The fact that the guy was not present during the inspection isn't really relevant, that's why he hired an "expert".

Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times
ACI means ASHI Certified Inspector, and its an additional certification. An Associate, is most likely less experienced, since they have not met all of the ASHI requirements for full certification.

Taking a Realtors recommendation for an inspector can be risky. A lot depends on the trust level you have with your Realtor, and their ethics level. I have tons of Realtors that recommend me to their clients, and I have a bunch that tell their clients NOT to use me. The ones that tell them not to use me don't like me because I am very thorough, and they don't want to risk their deal falling apart. Kind of treading lightly on the ethics. However, most Realtors I have found are ethical and honest.

The best referral is from someone that has used an inspector, so if you have a trusted friend that was happy with theirs, then give them a try. Otherwise, look for experience, a report that is clear and easy to read (look at samples), and someone that you can communicate with, and can communicate with you about the stuff they find.

This is a big investment. Take time to look for someone you are comfortable with, and don't skimp on price. The small amount you might save by going with low bid could cost you a hundred times with missed stuff.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM

15,569 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookooroo View Post
What happened if you don't mind sharing?
Sure. This was before I was an agent so I didn't know any better.

They didn't do the roofing properly with enough vents so we ended up getting mold in the attic and the house had serious temperature problems while we lived there. They pitched the gutters incorrectly so they were funneling water down behind the siding. We had to rip the entire front off the house, including the masonry to get to the slime growing in there. The installed the siding wrong...on and on...

We tried to do it the nice way, but the builder said we were "failing to properly maintain the property." So the lawsuit, and yes we prevailed.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,373,611 times
The sales rep is there to make money for his company (KB) and a commission for himself and/or make himself look good at co. headquarters.
Example:my friend PAID for the largest home in the complex as a pre-build and was DELIVERED of a smaller home with smaller bathrooms. And then looked at what he signed. Inspect both physical and paperwork and talk to other buyers.

Inspect both paperwork, company rep., and believe half what you see and still less of what you hear. This is your biggest ever purchase, and what is said verbally doesn't count! Due to the money involved this industry attracts all kinds of smooth scumbags, and unfortunately they don't face disbarment or discipline if they *********.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,801,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Enggirl -- Recommendations from your friends are great...but not if you're moving to a place where you don't know anybody.
Sure, but I rather point to some random name and pick that inspector over realtor's recommended buddy...

Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,801,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While I lightly disagree with "there's a lot of scam in that industry" what is imo the biggest problem is lack of education and many times laziness. When the boom started we noticed a surge in the inspectors ranks just like in the RE ranks swelled with people looking to make fast,easy money and a buying public that was ignorant of what they (inspectors) should be doing and the sometimes sketchy relationship between them and RE agents. ASHI and CABO came onto the scene and while good programs they're only as good as the person using them.

As for the statement that "inspectors are not responsible" is not completely true as evidenced by the 2, yes two that I've gone after to date and won both times in court. Both had what seems like the standard boiler plate "we can not be held responsible for anything we miss blah,blah,blah, no refunds blah,blah,blah.

It was decided in both cases that we paid a fee for a "supposed" professional service that we relied on in making the decision to purchase the property and the judges both said that the contract language "flies in the face of common sense and the laws of the state".
It seems judges really aren't thrilled with one-way contracts thankfully.
Oh, just for a bit of humor one of these "professionals" actually said in open court "well, what do you expect for $325?" prompting me to ask "so, if I'd payed $350 I'd have gotten a good job?" The bailiff cracked up, the judge shook his head and smirked. Let the spanking begin!
Let me tell you the story someone I know faced not too long ago. His inspector went out of business and then ended up filling banckrupcy.

We personally sued with the builder, big company, law was on our side, but guess what? builder filled bankapcy and went out of business.... so much for warranty. What we have??? $$$ out of our pocket....

So, yes, in theory you can try to spend your time and money and go to the court, but the chances to get anything at the end are not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate