Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 AM

215 posts, read 312,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The only other thing that might work - and I stress "might" - is to send a heartfelt letter to the seller with your offer stating how much you love the house, what feels "right" about it, how hard you've looked, talk about raising your children in the house, and leave out ANY negative. It has worked in some cases where sellers were so attached to their property that they wanted someone to love it as much as they have.
I think this is a good idea. I am in a selling situation and never once has my broker indicated how the buyer feels about my house. When you find a house that is the absolute best you have ever lived in (and I've lived all over the country in apts. and houses being in the military) bar none, it is very hard to turn it over to someone else. When I bought my present house, I got to meet the seller face to face and thru that, could assess their attachment was equal to mine and the transition went smoothly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Just make an offer. See what happens. You are making it more complicated than it has to be.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
The house needs a new furnace, new windows....It is however the nicest lot in the n'hood and is completely different than the 3br ranches that surround it. On one hand I think he doesnt want to sell (clearly) on the other hand he keeps making the ill informed aesthetic "upgrades" that the realtors tell him to, which makes me think he does want to sell.
We looked at a home, as a potential comp to ours just before we put ours the market, that was similar to this. It was overpriced--bought at the top of the market--and needed a new roof, but was a great house. It had already been on the market for 7 months. (A dead giveway here, anyway, that something was wrong.) He did what realtors told him to do but he would not lower his price enough for anyone to make a serious offer. Some owners just can't part with their dreams; you should probably look elsewhere.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
He has a mortgage from 2003 for $175 and a mtg from 2006 for $183 (i assume this is the second he took out to build the new house, the 2003 mtg shows no release). So spitballing he owes $270.
Interest rates were higher back then. I'm thinking 7% loan for 2003, 6% loan for 2006, so I estimate he owes $306k

Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM

936 posts, read 2,202,475 times
Make an offer and see what happens. You are overthinking this because, irrespective of your thoughts, the only thing that matters is the seller's response to your offer.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I can offer a story of what happened to us in a similar situation years ago. The house we wanted was on the market for over a year, priced at $375,000, which was about what remodeled houses in the neighborhood were selling for.

The house was way overpriced. The house was vacant, a divorce sale. Everything needed to be done: baths, kitchen, new doors, exterior siding, landscaping, floors....I mean everything. but, it was in a beautiful neighborhood and a prewar colonial with all the details intact. We offered the sellers our preapproved mortgage paperwork, employment histories, etc to show we were serious and $275,000. The owners didn't even counter our offer. just said no... bye, bye. We told our broker to let us know if they ever changed their minds and continued to look for other houses.

About four months later our broker got a call from the listing broker asking if we were still interested in the house because no other offers had been made. We closed on this home one month after that call for $280,000, a good deal for all involved. Sometimes patience pays off.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Yep, offer what you think the house is worth, if he is just insulted--move on to the next house-- if not maybe you can negotiate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just make an offer. See what happens. You are making it more complicated than it has to be.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Yep, offer what you think the house is worth, if he is just insulted--move on to the next house-- if not maybe you can negotiate.
I would say have a friend make the insulting offer and then you come in at a higher price

I can't tell how many times I was the one coming in with a realistic offer only to have someone come in slightly higher and prevail...

They were able to take out their frustration on me and then feel justified by accepting a thousand or more from the next guy.

It has happened going into probate and on a property a Broker showed me... the owner actually sold for less than my offer because he sold it to someone without paying a commission.

At the time the property was listed... the owner told the Broker he would only list if the Broker agreed the owner could sell to a list of 3 people that had expressed interest in the home prior to being listed.

The neighbor ended up buying it even though my offer was several thousand more because my offer meant a commission was due.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
If you can tolerate buying the house in the condition it's currently in, and can buy it for what you want to pay for it, then do so; those upgrades which the seller has been told by those realtors to make to the house are pointless, since you have NO reason whatsoever to pay for them should he try to add what he paid for them to the price of the house.

If your comps are airtight and in line within the $240K-$280K ballpark, then go ahead and buy it, and fix it up with what you want as opposed to what the realtors are telling him.

Otherwise, move on to the next house.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I would say have a friend make the insulting offer and then you come in at a higher price

It might be tough to find a friend to do this, because they won't actually be able to close the deal IF the offer was accepted.

BUT...if the friend's offer/contract has "and/or assigns" added after the buyer's name on the contract....then IF the buyer gets an accepted offer, they can simply "assign" the contract to you and you become the buyer.

e.g. Buyer: John Smith and/or assigns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate