Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM

238 posts, read 763,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sent View Post
Sure that's how you feel as a seller... But as a buyer I'm not going to overpay for your house by $70k to put your kids through college either. My family is looking for a home right now. We've put in what apparently people on this board consider to be "low ball" offers but it's been over 3 months and most of the properties we looked at over the summer are still sitting there with 10K knocked off the prices waiting for "non-low ball" buyers. So we'll keep sitting too. It's like a stare down war, someone is going to have to eventually blink and give in.
Same here. I put an offer in on a house weeks ago that was rejected without a counter. It's still sitting... along with hundreds of other houses in its price range, in a city with a higher inventory than it's ever been.

As much as I like the house, and still do, it makes no sense to try to negotiate with people who aren't serious about selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 03:29 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
There's a house on the river about 1/4 mi away from my home. It's been empty for about 3 years now and up for sale all of that time. It started out at 599K and is now down to 499K. Well, every month the owners pay another payment plus they are paying for interior cleaning, utilities, yardwork, snow removal, and general house maintenance. They only owned the home a few years so I'm thinking all this is costing them @ 3K per month. So they have lowered the price 100K and lost another 100K in payments and maintenance. They change realtors 3 or 4 times a year so I'm guessing they aren't getting too many offers. It's a nice home but I don't think they will ever get that much money. The only other home in the area comparable to theirs is mine. My home is larger but older and still 110K less than theirs.

Here's my point, if they just would have lowered the price 200K in the beginning, it might have sold and saved them a lot of heartache and frustration. With Winter here now, they probably won't sell for yet another year.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:11 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
There's a house on the river about 1/4 mi away from my home. It's been empty for about 3 years now and up for sale all of that time. It started out at 599K and is now down to 499K. Well, every month the owners pay another payment plus they are paying for interior cleaning, utilities, yardwork, snow removal, and general house maintenance. They only owned the home a few years so I'm thinking all this is costing them @ 3K per month. So they have lowered the price 100K and lost another 100K in payments and maintenance. They change realtors 3 or 4 times a year so I'm guessing they aren't getting too many offers. It's a nice home but I don't think they will ever get that much money. The only other home in the area comparable to theirs is mine. My home is larger but older and still 110K less than theirs.

Here's my point, if they just would have lowered the price 200K in the beginning, it might have sold and saved them a lot of heartache and frustration. With Winter here now, they probably won't sell for yet another year.
Classic example of people who make the mistake in a down market of "chasing" pricing. When you make a suggestion for being aggressive in the beginning, alot of times people mistakenly confuse that for "giving your house away" which is the furthest from the truth.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Bingo!!!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
In this market, well actually even if the market is strong, you really just never know. I always advise to just list a house at a reasonable price, never too low or ridiculously high. However, you can't always explain that to people, they think their house should sell for what THEY think it's worth. The two values don't always mesh. I think it's very true, in this case, that something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate