Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
So you want to buy your own home so you can have a dog? not a good reason to buy. Are you going to leave the animal home alone all day because you both work?

Yes, eastern MA or anywhere in the northeast is expensive, especially in a city around Boston.

Keep on renting with no dog, revisit your wants and needs (and the economy) in another year or so. See if you feel the same at that point, save some money. What's the rush.
I didn't see anything in the OP that indicated that their primary reason for wanting to buy was so they could have a dog. The OP simply pointed out that they were wary of thinking about a condo because at some point they'd like to get a dog and that may limit their options, I guess because they believe most condos don't allow dogs? I don't know how true that is.

He already stated that they want to stay where they are, they're both working and married now so I would guess that is the reason they are looking to put roots down. I'd stick with non-attached units as well. Some people that live in building type condos or cooperatives think that since they are homeowners they can and should be able to do whatever they want and live their lives as if they are residing in a detached dwelling complete with loud music, banging, kids running wild, etc. and have zero concern for the peace of their neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I didn't see anything in the OP that indicated that their primary reason for wanting to buy was so they could have a dog. The OP simply pointed out that they were wary of thinking about a condo because at some point they'd like to get a dog and that may limit their options, I guess because they believe most condos don't allow dogs? I don't know how true that is.

He already stated that they want to stay where they are, they're both working and married now so I would guess that is the reason they are looking to put roots down. I'd stick with non-attached units as well. Some people that live in building type condos or cooperatives think that since they are homeowners they can and should be able to do whatever they want and live their lives as if they are residing in a detached dwelling complete with loud music, banging, kids running wild, etc. and have zero concern for the peace of their neighbors.

Well, why not have your discussion directly with the poster who is asking for advice as to whether: "Condo right for us?" If they want to have a dog, then condo is not right for them. They are asking for an opinion. I gave them my opinion. On the other hand, I have no dog in this hunt.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 03-03-2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Well, why not have your discussion directly with the poster who is asking for advice as to whether: "Condo right for us?" If they want to have a dog, then condo is not right for them. They are asking for an opinion. I gave them my opinion. On the other hand, I have no dog in this hunt.
I was just making a comment that you may have misinterpreted their post. I'll be sure to note your sensitivity to such things in the future.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:19 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,098 times
Most condos have very strict pet policies, allowing for "one small pet" as a general rule. Some give weight restrictions, all have breed restrictions.

One reason I want a house is so no one can tell me how many pets I can have. My animals are my family.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,106,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Depending on the construction of the building, condo living can be similar to apartment living.
Condo living is apartment living. They are physically indistinguishable from each other. The only difference is a condo consists of individual units that can be owned individually. So "condo" is a form of individual apartment unit ownership and nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
HOA fees can be enormous and obliterate any savings issues since interest rates are so low. Make sure there is a cap on the amount they can raise fees to.
In all 50 states it is illegal to put a cap on HOA dues. Instituting a cap would be absurd anyway. Who would want to keep HOA dues artificially low to prevent a building from being maintained properly? Most older condo projects I've seen are charging less than half of what they should be charging to properly maintain the project and reduce the chance for large special assessments in the future. People would rather keep HOA dues artificially low to maintain higher resale values.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Condo living can give you a better location for the same price, than a SFH, with the same appreciation opportunity. (We've been in condo's for 14-years).

People talk about condos being like apartments and noisy, but, it depends on what you buy. Just like there are lower-end neighborhoods where you might not want to live, there are also lower-end condos (some even converted apartments). But, if you buy an upscale unit, you will find noise and privacy issues largely disappear.

Likewise, HOA fees seem high because folks fail to factor-in the pro-rated costs of things like roof, paint, landscaping, maintenance, trash collection, water, basic cable, etc. --- which, to some degree, are included in most condo HOA fees. Also, HOA fees are typically higher in condos where there are more renters - because of the added maintenance costs for folks who treat the condo like a hotel.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:59 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,147 times
Condos are not for everyone, better condos have boards and managers that actually make residents follow the rules, thus are usually nice places to live. Can there be noise, yes, usually from above you, if someone lives there but in a home there is noise from the neighbors dogs and many other issues which made us move away from a home.

Before anyone should buy a condo, they should find out what items are covered by the monthly fees and then work out the numbers if those items would make it worth it to them when compared to home ownership. In our condo, hot water, cable TV, water, garbage pickup, electric to run the a/c compressor, the pool upkeep, internet in the social room and so on and so on, are included in the monthly fees. My wife and I started out in a home, then went to a villa in a community where the outside was taken care of but surely not the way I would have liked it to be taken care of, now we live in a condo and we take care of the inside and keep the balcony clean and do not have to worry about the outside, is that worth it, well it is for us but YMMV depending on how much your time is worth to you and how much you enjoy doing the outside work...

Old 03-18-2016, 07:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,248,808 times
"Condo living is apartment living. They are physically indistinguishable from each other."

I have never seen apartments with 2 car garages. Which I have.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:18 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
I've owned Condo, and a SFH

Pros of Condo:
Less overall maintenance (snow, landscaping, exterior, etc)

Cons
Always increasing condo fees
HOA rules
Neighbors
Dogs (I hate dogs)
no yard for kids (typically)

Pros of SFH
Can do whatever you want
more space
yards (typically)

Cons of SFH
All that stuff your condo fee paid for now falls on your to do.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:38 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,248,808 times
Condo fees kind of suck, no doubt. But they keep out the rif-raff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate