Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
When buyer and seller (and mortgage financier) can arrive at a value...

And it is not uncommon for an appraiser to call an agent...
It's almost like the mortgage brokers and banks are *trying* to write loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
yup. couple hundred dollars is a small price to pay to have that 'out' should you need it...
And with our contract, the buyer can cancel during the due diligence (inspection) phase for any reason without paying for an inspection. No money out of pocket.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Everything is an opinion of value and that is the best that can be done."
Words to live by.

When buyer and seller can arrive at a value that doesn't compromise either's opinion too much, you often have a deal.

In the current market where I am, dynamics favor sellers' opinions. Buyers are willing to alter their opinions in response to the dynamics in play.

And it is not uncommon for an appraiser to call an agent, looking for more information on a closed sale, or more insight to the value in a current transaction.
I've worked with some great agents and the deals wouldn't have happened without them...

One in particular had been working a neighborhood for years and she always met the appraiser at the property and with the most up to date info and particulars... if the owner didn't mind... she would be on her way.

One property that I was buying we all met at the property... the appraiser was happy to have the most up to date info... two were properties set to close that week and she just wanted to keep the appraiser apprised of the situation...

A good agent can make deals happen... or, save a deal from falling apart.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I

A good agent can ... save a deal from falling apart.
Lord yes. That's the differenatiator these days, unfortunately the client normally doesn't know what kind of agent they have until the fit hits the shan.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Lord yes. That's the differentiator these days, unfortunately the client normally doesn't know what kind of agent they have until the fit hits the shan.
I always look for someone that is hands on with lots of experience in the neighborhood/area.

Many will come and go in Real Estate... some think it is easy money and throw in the towel when times get lean...

Good agents will have a wealth of information at their fingertips... they are also adept at the art of negotiations and skillful at translating the complex into everyday language.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Let us not forget that those whom will only "make" money when the sale happens, want/need that sale to happen as it is in their best interest to make it happen. Always keep a jaundiced eye on them.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,449 times
Such hostility toward real estate agents! I get not using them if you think you can do it yourself and save money (I am certain I do not possess the temperament for this), but the open hostility and suspicion is just bizarre.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
Well, here's an update on the phantom buyers:

I go to look at the place this morning and the alleged buyers are supposed to arrive after I leave. They come in as I am leaving and I notice that the family dog, in a pen in the living room, seems to recognize them. (When I came in, the dog became agitated and barked. Maybe he liked their looks better. I dunno.)

When I leave the house, I decide not to depart the area right away. Instead, I ride around the block for a few minutes to get an additional feel for the neighborhood. As I round the corner, I see that the other "buyers" are already leaving. It's hard to imagine that they could see all the rooms and evaluate the home in just five minutes. If this is my competition, I will bid accordingly.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
Such hostility toward real estate agents! I get not using them if you think you can do it yourself and save money (I am certain I do not possess the temperament for this), but the open hostility and suspicion is just bizarre.
There are a lot of really paranoid people on the internet. Given the way agents in the past have closely guarded information, I can understand the parnoia a bit but some of what's said on here is on par with government mind control theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post

I go to look at the place this morning and the alleged buyers are supposed to arrive after I leave. They come in as I am leaving and I notice that the family dog, in a pen in the living room, seems to recognize them. (When I came in, the dog became agitated and barked. Maybe he liked their looks better. I dunno.)

When I leave the house, I decide not to depart the area right away. Instead, I ride around the block for a few minutes to get an additional feel for the neighborhood. As I round the corner, I see that the other "buyers" are already leaving. It's hard to imagine that they could see all the rooms and evaluate the home in just five minutes. If this is my competition, I will bid accordingly.
Maybe the dog remembers them from a prior showing? I wouldn't place too much stock in how much time they spent in the house. I've had buyers that spend an hour in every house and I've had others who just need a couple of minutes. Everyone looks at their own speed. You can try and play Sherlock Holmes as you have been doing but it's not going to help you get a house.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post

It might be a second showing and they wanted to get a room measurement for the baby grand or something. If it was a first showing, generally it means they aren't interested, but I've had buyers walk in and 10 minutes later say they are ready to write on that house. Remember, they aren't you so they will do things their own way and not your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate