Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM

109 posts, read 168,088 times

Advertisements

I have questions and wonder if anyone has sold a property they purchased within a year. The condo I purchased is not working out. My loan is a few thousand lower than what I would be asking. I am willing to take a small loss but will not be able to help with any buyer closing costs. The property is a very low cost one, is in decent shape. I would like to get back what I paid at least. I know this might not be possible.

Does anyone have experience with this? I don't know what kind of reasons I should give my agent for selling that won't make people wonder why I am selling it. I need good excuses to sell it that won't make people suspicious. Also the what the tax implications would be if I make little to no profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Don't over think the issue. You can simply say the space isn't working for your personal needs. Just don't say things like it is too small, too big or something that plants a negative idea, that can transfer to the potential buyers.

Personal needs could be anything from wheelchair access to the height of the ceilings. Nothing more need be said.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM

Thanks Mac, that is an awesome answer!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,995,484 times
Call your CPA about the tax implication but I doubt there will be one.

If a loan is at or above the list price (and yes we check) and the seller is willing to pay down to sell, we usually put in the CONFIDENTIAL AGENT remarks something like "This is not a short sale. At list price, seller is willing to bring cash to close." That reaffirms that the buyer won't have to wait out a short sale and puts the buyers agent on notice not to bring in buyers thinking of making offers below list.

This market is rapidly changing. You might even be able to list in a way that covers all costs and see if that works. Ask your listing agent.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Some good news

Inventory is way down in Minneapolis.
Asking prices are up.
See DeptofNumbers

Trulia
Minneapolis average and median listing prices - Trulia.com
says that sold prices are very cyclical.
Spring/Summer is the time to sell.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,803,075 times
Just wondering, do you have any penalty to pay to the lender if you are selling your condo within a year?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM

835 posts, read 3,977,494 times
You would have to take a look at your Note. Not typical to have a prepayment penalty these days but if your loan is not Fannie/ Freddie, FHA or VA is is possible.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM

I have a Wells Fargo so I will have to check that out.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
How much demand for that type of dwelling in your area? You could try cleaning it up spotless and do a for sale by owner. It's annoying and you will be bothered a lot by some very strange people, but it will save you the cost of commission. Or better yet, you can lower the price because you don't have to pay commission and it will sell faster.

You are not under oath. Lie about why you are moving. Have to move for your job, or want to be closer to your mother who is ill. Or, getting married and your future spouse owns their own house. Just don't make it anything about the house itself.

DO NOT LIE ABOUT THE HOUSE. Make your reason to be about your personal life. Buyers can't sue you over your personal life or about changing your mind about your personal life after close of escrow. They can sue you if you lie about the house to conceal defects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate