Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times

Advertisements

So did you sign the contract as it was written? If so, it sounds like you signed away everything that was in the condo on 11/8/12. If you have a few personal items you want to keep, discuss it with the buyer and get any agreement in writing. If you decided you want to keep your furniture and lamps for example, you are probably out of luck.

Just because your personal situation changed, it doesn't mean the contract changes. But you can always hire a local RE lawyer to read the signed contract and give you an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM

306 posts, read 757,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
So did you sign the contract as it was written? If so, it sounds like you signed away everything that was in the condo on 11/8/12. If you have a few personal items you want to keep, discuss it with the buyer and get any agreement in writing. If you decided you want to keep your furniture and lamps for example, you are probably out of luck.

Just because your personal situation changed, it doesn't mean the contract changes. But you can always hire a local RE lawyer to read the signed contract and give you an opinion.
Yes, I did. There is nothing of huge value that can't be replaced, however. I'm only talking about my bed, sofa, and wall hangings...all else can be theirs. I doubt that they will go to court over that.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
Yes, I did. There is nothing of huge value that can't be replaced, however. I'm only talking about my bed, sofa, and wall hangings...all else can be theirs. I doubt that they will go to court over that.
Wanna bet? I recently saw a transaction where there was a dispute over who is responsible for a bill for cleaning out the house and there is talk of going to court. The total bill was a couple thousand.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
If I was buying a place where everything is included that I saw on a specific date, and later I find the seller took the bed, sofa and wall hangings, you darn well better believe I'd go to court over it.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
You signed something that says all personal property stays. So all personal property stays.

OTOH the buyer might not care for some of it, so it can't hurt to ask if you can keep it. If buyer says no, you don't get it.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
At the time, I was moving to the Rocky Mountains for seasonal work and I was willing to let everything go...now, I'm not moving. Also, my inexperience in these matters in all honesty.

The agent is volunteering his time at no cost acting as a go-between.
dangerous

Old 03-08-2013, 05:01 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Forget the lawyer. You said nothing of great value. Just ask. They may not want your bed or sofa. This forum is way too quick to suggest lawyering up when a civil discussion stands a good chance of solving a simple problem. Lawyers cost money and bringing one in immediately makes the issue adversarial.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
The language in the agreement is too vague.

"As viewed on 11/8/12?"
No way.
The fixtures and personal property should be specified in a list, IMO.

We are even advised to put down the serial numbers of refrigerators, although almost no one does.
But, that "as viewed..." is not acceptable language.

Certainly worth a conversation with the buyer prior to seeing an attorney, though, IMO.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Forget the lawyer. You said nothing of great value. Just ask. They may not want your bed or sofa. This forum is way too quick to suggest lawyering up when a civil discussion stands a good chance of solving a simple problem. Lawyers cost money and bringing one in immediately makes the issue adversarial.
This issue could definitely be solved with a simple conversation which is then put into a written agreement. However, the OP's attitude that they are just going to take what they want and hope they don't find themselves in court over it is asking for trouble.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
Quote:
The agent is volunteering his time at no cost acting as a go-between.
What was the agents understanding of all this? Were the personal items to stay or go? I am assuming you signed off on the contract as written? No matter what the agent was trying to say, a very poorly written contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate