Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM

306 posts, read 757,874 times

Advertisements

I am the seller of a condominium in Tennessee. Included as part of the property is all fixtures including kitchen appliances. The contract then states:

B) Other items that REMAIN with the property at no additional cost to Buyer:
REA wrote in: as viewed on 11/8/12

C) Items that WILL NOT REMAIN with the property:
REA wrote in: n/a

Fact: Furniture, wall hangings, lamps, clocks are non-fixtures.

Question: From the answers on B and C above can I legally keep the non-fixture items (some items that are my personal items will be an issue on closing day)? Buyer is staking claim to all, verbally. They want the condo really bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,209,687 times
Unless you have already accepted their offer just write in the items you want to keep. If you have already signed, ask the buyer's agent if you can keep items x,y and z.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Unless you have already accepted their offer just write in the items you want to keep. If you have already signed, ask the buyer's agent if you can keep items x,y and z.
Thanks! It's actually a transaction between one another, no REA. An agent (on site) is assisting in drawing up the papers. This agent wrote the brief notes in B and C. I believe I have a case of taking what's mine. It's traditionally an over-night rental condo, but I'm a year-round resident with personal property at stake.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,356 times
My agent told me that if you took a house turned it upside down and shook it. Non-fixtures would be anything that would fall out (i.e. not attached).

When we put in offers we write in things that are already listed as included such as appliance, but will add in window treatments, ceiling fans, light fixtures (i.e. bathroom lights, kitchen lights, etc.), a shed if there is one. And maybe some other items if we really like them (one place had a world map on a wall that we found pretty charming).

Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
As this is a legal and binding contract, it's probably better to get a more fleshed out description that no one can argue about in the contract before signing it (or ammend it if already signed). In real estate, never ever go on what people say always get it writing because people are known to change their minds or occassionally have misunderstandings.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,914,229 times
I can't figure out why you would NOT specifically name things that are to stay and to go.

Your on-site agent is lazy (and courting a court case).

Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I can't figure out why you would NOT specifically name things that are to stay and to go.

Totally agree. With homes that are being sold furnished, personal property is spelled out separately from items that will convey.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
"As viewed" includes everything they saw, so yes, your personal property is included. Get a lawyer or strike out that portion.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

At the time, I was moving to the Rocky Mountains for seasonal work and I was willing to let everything go...now, I'm not moving. Also, my inexperience in these matters in all honesty.

The agent is volunteering his time at no cost acting as a go-between.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
"As viewed" includes everything they saw, so yes, your personal property is included. Get a lawyer or strike out that portion.
Do I need a lawyer to strike out that portion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate