U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 19,580 times

Advertisements

Last edited by PeacefulLiving; 03-08-2013 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: want it deleted
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,295,521 times
There is no right or wrong answer to this.

What it comes down to is your personal life, your personal needs, your personal tastes. Everybody is different!

For DH & I, a Single Family Home is the better choice. We are expecting our first baby in July and hope to have more children. Therefore, having a big back yard and room to 'play' was important. Additionally, we think we've 'outgrown' the townhouse / apartment thing.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, you've just got to do what's best for you!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 10,002,972 times
Generally houses are more desirable and easier to sell overall, but it depends on the area.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 AM

101 posts, read 157,948 times
Out here in AZ there is no difference between the two. (Condo or townhouse)

Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 AM

118 posts, read 297,306 times
I'm sure most people will say house, but I think it really depends on the person. If you need a lot of space, you probably want a house. If you are just looking for a place to rest your head, then a condo/townhouse might be fine.

As a single person, i really wanted was a small townhouse. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I was informed by my loan officer that I could not get a loan for LESS THAN $60k. The townhouses I was looking at were much less than that, and I wasn't interested in paying any more than that for one. So, I ended up buying a 2300 ft² house and spending the next two years wishing I was in a townhouse.

For me, being in a house just meant I had a bunch of empty bedrooms and a yard I hated maintaining.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:45 AM

2,431 posts, read 5,211,158 times
For me, a single house. After years of apartment living, followed by living in an old row house, I didn't want any adjoining walls!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 AM

4,281 posts, read 11,862,397 times
Generally a condo implies units on top, below, aside, front, back as in an apartment building. Common lobby, halls, elevator, parking sopts, etc. All in all, multi floor apartment style living.

A townhouse implies no unit on top, nor below, nor beside. Usually only one wall or maybe two side walls are shared. Usually private garage and/or driveway parking. Each has their own front door. No common doorways, lobbies, halls, etc.

Call them what you want but architectural style can vary quite a bit.

To me townhouse type living was very similar to single family home living and condo style same as living in a high rise apartment.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM

863 posts, read 2,823,502 times
According to a realtor friend, from an investment perspective a standalone, detatched house is the best choice. End unit of a complex (townhouse/condo) is next.

The rest depends on your location, needs and preferences, budget and interest in outside maintenance. Condos and townhouses commonly come with less maintenance, but then there are fees to cover that, so they may not (necessarlily) be cheaper.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM

7,776 posts, read 11,446,697 times
My choice depends on acoustics. If a condo has excellent insulation, then it would be all right. Otherwise, a house is preferable.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 AM

10,170 posts, read 13,312,524 times
As some have said, it depends on your circumstances and objectives. We are retired and have lived in upscale, non-apartment-caliber condos .. on the water in Florida for 10-years.... no yard work or home repairs; great views, privacy and security; lock the doors and travel whenever we want; Excellent resale protected by HOA standards (eg; no boats, cars, sheds in the yard - or strange house colors next door).

We previously lived for 30+ years in single family homes, while raising kids -- SFH's are probably better alternatives and neighborhoods for kids, than condos. IMO, there is very little difference between most townhomes and single-family homes ... although most TH's are much closer together than most SFH's (except those with zero lot lines). Sometimes TH's offer community lawncare services and have HOA protected exterior standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate