Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM

169 posts, read 182,459 times

Advertisements

Thinking of selling my house sometime in the next year or 2. It is the home I grew up in that I recently inherited when my Mom passed away a year ago. I live in the Greater Boston area. I am considering using a friend as my realtor. She is a full time agent, owns her own agency with multiple branches and routinely is a multi million dollar agent.

We have been friends for over 30 years, not terribly close but know each other pretty well and see each other from time to time with mutual friends, as well as stay in touch on Facebook.

My home is in a sought after location and is a 2 family home that could be an investment property, a landlord tenant situation or condo-ized. It has good bones but needs a good deal of updating - but location will make up for a lot of that. It is a very tight market in my area.

Friend's agency is in a nearby community, maybe 10-15 miles away, where she does most of her business but I know she has sold in my city as well.

Would I be better off engaging an agent who lives in my city or would she do a good job for me getting me top dollar?

Are there any other pitfalls or advantages to having a friend as my realtor? I would not want to ruin a solid long standing relationship if things were to go wrong. On the other hand, my trust in her would be pretty high both because of her experience and I would think she would be equally as interested in treating me and this transaction well to keep our friendship intact too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Have her recommend someone, but not do it herself.

Do you want your friendship to involve money later on?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 PM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
If she is a friend as you say, give her a chance, albeit with a shorter listing time.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Just don't use your mother-in-law.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
As a long time friend you have the benefit of knowing her ethics and how she's managed her life so far... that's a benefit! If you trust her to do her job well and do right by you, I would certainly use her! As an agent, I understand I may not be the only realtor friend people have, but I would be hurt to not be given a chance to present myself for the job!

I think having a friend work for you on the listing side is a lot less - invasive - than working with a friend on the buyer side.

I would understand a friend being hesitant to use a friend on the buyer side, where so much that is personal: credit, debt, income, finances, can end up being shared. Sometimes it's more than we might ordinarily share with casual friends. I do try to keep barriers up about what I really need to know, and I recommend very good lenders just so I don't have to be intimately involved in my client's financial business. I'm happy to report I have served several friends without ever really knowing exactly what their income and full financial picture was. Some clients want and need me to know all that.... most don't.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
We hired a friend--lived 4 blocks away, full-time agent, 20 years of friendship, agent for for large (Sothebys) firm.
For us, a good decision and we are still friends. In spite of 7 months, 63 showings, 26 open houses, and accepting 85% of original list price. 2010-2011 was not a good time to sell in Denver.
YMMV.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM

169 posts, read 182,459 times
Diana you make some very good points. She is as fine a woman as they come. Morally and ethically above reproach, kind and compassionate and very good at her profession. Also your point about using her as my listing agent being less invasive is a good one. I likely would not use her as a buyer's agent anyway as my plan is to move away from this area, though staying in Massachusetts, but further from where I am now, so definitely not her market at all.

I have some more time to ponder it until I am ready to act.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:24 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
There are no Pros !!!!!! Only Cons.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
If I wasn't knowledgeable and work more than 10-15 miles from my home, I would have hardly any business. My area is spread out so much, you can't stay in a bubble of 5 miles. My grocery store is 5 miles away! Just because she's 10-15 miles away doesn't mean she doesn't work your area often. If she's been in the business long enough and has a successful brokerage, why wouldn't you use her?

Old 01-11-2019, 01:59 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
... She is a full time agent, owns her own agency with multiple branches and routinely is a multi million dollar agent.

We have been friends for over 30 years, not terribly close but know each other pretty well and see each other from time to time with mutual friends, as well as stay in touch on Facebook.

Friend's agency is in a nearby community, maybe 10-15 miles away, where she does most of her business but I know she has sold in my city as well.

Would I be better off engaging an agent who lives in my city or would she do a good job for me getting me top dollar?

...my trust in her would be pretty high both because of her experience and I would think she would be equally as interested in treating me and this transaction well to keep our friendship intact too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
... She is as fine a woman as they come. Morally and ethically above reproach, kind and compassionate and very good at her profession. ...
I have some more time to ponder it until I am ready to act.

Without question, you have described the ideal agent, IMO.

Ask her if she can serve you well. If she says, "Yes," let her.
I would hire this person in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate