Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times

Advertisements

Me thinks Sonno is the type that might cut her own nose off to spite her face. The type that wins every battle they ever fought but still loses the war and cannot understand why. I also think she might be trying to find out how to jerk the LL off until they are ready to move.

Bit of tough love there Darlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
Thank you MrRational. This is the thing I hope I can work out with the LL. Can we work something out so that it's acceptable to us all. well the realtor won't be happy until I'm out but I don't believe the LL would be best served by that happening either.
You make a lot of presumptions for someone who is waylaying your LL from selling their property because of your rational. Your dog is lose, you hubby works nights. You don't want to be inconvenienced plain and simple.

Why would you assume the LL would rather have your rent than to sell his own property. You seem to only be concerned with your own conveniences. I would say your attitude is very cavalier when it may be costing someone else big money. Fact is your lease is up. Your LL is accommodating you, you aren't returning the favor.

Have you been looking at houses? Are you only going to be viewing homes within your designated preferred time frames? You'll likely miss some good opportunities by being a day late and a dollar short.
LOL.........I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a new thread. Desperate LL, Renter refusing to allow Realtor to show my house. What would you do??
Plus, give some consideration to not getting to the point where the LL throws up his hands and starts an eviction process....You are home shopping, is your credit worth messing up by being unreasonable?

I also think your missing a great opportunity to be networking w/ realtors since you are supposedly home shopping. Why haven't you offered on this home??
I would be smoozing, realtors can offer you great leads on some great deals....a missed opportunity for sure. IMO
I'm watching for the LL's thread. Renter refusing to cooperate with Realtor....Evict??

Last edited by JanND; 03-16-2013 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:

I do understand the necessities of being available. I also think that if the LL needs the 3K in rent and we'd like to stay, we can come up w/ a scenario that could work for everyone.
So you're hindering the showings because you really don't want to move?

Quote:
And then where does tenant right's to "peaceful enjoyment" go.
Quote:
Your landlord may enter the property after advance notice in order to make inspections, make necessary repairs, supply necessary services, or to show the property to prospective buyers or work people. Just as the landlord cannot abuse the right of access to harass you or enter at unreasonable times, you cannot withhold your permission to enter to hinder or interfere with the landlord’s exercise of his or her rights and responsibilities.
Quote:
I've also heard that the realtor should be speaking to the LL and the LL to me to set appts. That sounds like a good solution. Did I say when I didn't answer her text in the first 30 seconds, she called both my phones multiple times even after I texted I couldn't talk right then.
Who told you that? I don't need to be the go-between as a LL when I'm selling a property. My tenants know when they are available or won't be "home" more than I do, so I give my realtor their cell numbers (I let them know - and there is a lock-box) and they set up any showings with my realtor. Just like you know when your dog and husband don't want a showing, why make the process any longer than it needs to be by going through the LL?

You or your husband could have talked to the realtor, but you both chose not to. I don't know about the dog.

You're being a pain in the LL's behind and I wouldn't be renewing your month-to-month lease b/c you might be costing me more money by all of your "it's not working for me because of this and that" stuff than if I just let you go and ate the lack of rent (that I could write off) until the place was sold.

Last edited by Informed Info; 03-16-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 06:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Prior posters have covered it, but let me add this: kennel your dog when you're out.

What if the realtor comes in and the dog runs out the door? Do you really think she's chase down and retrieve your pet? It would be horrible if your dog got run over because of a careless realtor. :-(

Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 PM

94 posts, read 246,948 times
Wow the mob is out. I'm not going to respond to these ad hominen attacks. I came here to find out what's the lay of the land. What to expect. I'm always gobsmacked to see how people find ways to attack a poster. I've never been in this situation. I spent hours cleaning so the house shows nicely. Ive responded immediately to each text or call from the realtor except when I was driving to the airport. I've showed it when they wanted except for one time. I'm not sure where you're all getting how I'm impeding the showing and jerking the LL around?

I still can't quite fathom how this works. The realtor gets her commission, the LL gets to sell his house and our lives are supposed to revolve around their needs and we still pay full price!

I'm not trying to 'win' each battle. I'm not going to be bullied by the realtor calling the night before a million times saying I've got to let her show the house in 12 hours when my husband it totally jetlagged. I'm trying to see how to keep my sanity while still living our lives w/ all the commitments, work, school etc.

Seriously people , it sounds as though some of you have got some bad experiences to process.

I'm glad to hear that showing drop off after the beginning. That gives me hope that it won't be a constant onslaught.

And god! I don't know who thought I'd want to let them evict me. That would never happen! That would be just stupid to try to go there.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Prior posters have covered it, but let me add this: kennel your dog when you're out.

What if the realtor comes in and the dog runs out the door? Do you really think she's chase down and retrieve your pet? It would be horrible if your dog got run over because of a careless realtor. :-(
Oh believe me we've spent so much time trying to teach him to love his crate. I think he was a prisoner of war in a past life. I don't believe in reincarnation but after knowing this dog I've got to think there's something there. Anyway, it's not an option but I can put him in the car for not very long periods of time.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
State law allows landlord or anyone sent by landlord to view the house or fix the house, as long as you get 24 hr notice. It doesnt have to be written in the lease, it's state law. the landlord and realtor are within the law to give you 24 hr notice and you cannot refuse. If you are there, then fine. if you aren't there, then they let themselves in with the key.

yes, it's a hassle. I was a renter with a dog and had the exact issue. I was working full time and building a brand new home, so every minute of time was valuable. It was a major hassle to run home and gather the dog for each showing. I was also on month to month and almost done building the home so didn't want to find another rental for a few months.

You don't have to leave for showings and you dont have to agree to them. Someone just lets you know of date and time of showing and you decide what to do with dog...if you want to stay home with the dog, or go in the yard or leave the home or whatever.
Thanks. We're figuring it all out and we'll have our own home in the not too distant future. Congrats on building your house!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Wow the mob is out. I'm not going to respond to these ad hominen attacks. I came here to find out what's the lay of the land. What to expect. I'm always gobsmacked to see how people find ways to attack a poster. I've never been in this situation. I spent hours cleaning so the house shows nicely. Ive responded immediately to each text or call from the realtor except when I was driving to the airport. I've showed it when they wanted except for one time. I'm not sure where you're all getting how I'm impeding the showing and jerking the LL around?

I still can't quite fathom how this works. The realtor gets her commission, the LL gets to sell his house and our lives are supposed to revolve around their needs and we still pay full price!

I'm not trying to 'win' each battle. I'm not going to be bullied by the realtor calling the night before a million times saying I've got to let her show the house in 12 hours when my husband it totally jetlagged. I'm trying to see how to keep my sanity while still living our lives w/ all the commitments, work, school etc.

Seriously people , it sounds as though some of you have got some bad experiences to process.

I'm glad to hear that showing drop off after the beginning. That gives me hope that it won't be a constant onslaught.

And god! I don't know who thought I'd want to let them evict me. That would never happen! That would be just stupid to try to go there.
And thus the reason I did not originally respond to you and only the other poster. I could tell from your first post that it would be you could do no wrong. You think these were ad hominem attacks? I see people responding to exactly what you put in your posts.

You also say you only impeded one showing but in your first post you mention 2 right there. It seems everything had to be to your satisfaction. Couldn't be in the morning cause your husband was sleeping, no lock box cause you have a dog, you even wanted to give her your schedule so the other agents and buyers could schedule around you, that's so nice of you to let everyone revolve around you.

I see what you wanted all along was just for posts that agree with you and tell you it will be alright and the nasty realtor had no right to do what she was doing. Sorry it's the interwebz, you asked for opinion and you get it.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default Totally agree...

Quote:
Of course we're looking to move. We're buying a house. Not a quick thing and we've got lots of stuff so we'd prefer not going to a temporary housing situation.

Entitlement? mmm.... This is what I'm trying to figure out. This is not our house yet it's our life that's getting invaded. I spent hours getting things looking good for her clients to come. Do I have no rights? There's nothing in the lease that speaks to them selling the property. In our state's law. It says, the tenant is guaranteed the right to “peaceably and quietly hold” possession of the premises subject to the lease. Where does that fit in here?

So basically whenever they want to come if they give 24 hours notice that should be fine. I would think the LL wants his 3K monthly until they sell it. I would think that that would mean we'd all try to accommodate each other and work together, no?
I think the $500.00 has gone to her head. You have rights. I would, though, start the moving process...it's inevitable...tell them they are welcome but hubby may be sleeping...
Koale

Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
And thus the reason I did not originally respond to you and only the other poster. I could tell from your first post that it would be you could do no wrong. You think these were ad hominem attacks? I see people responding to exactly what you put in your posts.

You also say you only impeded one showing but in your first post you mention 2 right there. It seems everything had to be to your satisfaction. Couldn't be in the morning cause your husband was sleeping, no lock box cause you have a dog, you even wanted to give her your schedule so the other agents and buyers could schedule around you, that's so nice of you to let everyone revolve around you.

I see what you wanted all along was just for posts that agree with you and tell you it will be alright and the nasty realtor had no right to do what she was doing. Sorry it's the interwebz, you asked for opinion and you get it.
One was one that I couldn't do and the other was in about 15 hours so not allowed so I'm calling one legitimate one.

Look, I have never been in this situation. I have No idea how this works. I went on the misguided idea that people work together. I'm put out and making concessions and I thought,well couldn't we all make some concessions to get through this. That's about it. Yes, I felt badgered and figured this can't be the only way.

Luckily the LL has responded and he agrees so we're all going to make some concessions to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate