Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying the tenant is wrong because the have the right to enjoy living in the home w/o harassment, but this is why hate trying to sell a rented home. It's always difficult and they aren't motivated to have their privacy invaded and have to go find a new place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I'm not saying the tenant is wrong because the have the right to enjoy living in the home w/o harassment, but this is why hate trying to sell a rented home. It's always difficult and they aren't motivated to have their privacy invaded and have to go find a new place to live.
I had one tenant in my listing that was a nightmare to work with. She insisted on 24 hour notice, which was fine. One time an agent showed up about 5 minutes past his window and she refused to let him in with his client. Another time I had made an appointment 24 hours in advance and then received a call from someone else that wanted to see it. I called her trying to do less than 24 but putting the appointments back to back so it would be the least intrusive for her. I really thought most people would prefer to deal with showings on one day over 1.5 hours, but she insisted on her full 24 hour notice, so she had showings on two different days instead.

She got evicted.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM

355 posts, read 913,384 times
Seems like you have a vested interest for the house NOT to sell since you aren't ready to move yet. If not, why not just be accommodating so they can sell the thing quickly? By creating trouble you are also opening yourself up to having issues with having your full security deposit returned (assuming you have one). Upset landlords can be real nit-picky.

When we were renting a house that went on the market, the LL offered us our last month free for the inconvenience. I made sure the house was kept nice and would offer to leave for showings for no longer than 1/2 hour.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Jan, all I see from your posts is trashing the renter and siding with the bossy agent. Can you not see a renter paying $3,000 a month or any amount, should be able to enjoy their home and lifestyle? Why should the OP's life be turned upside down, without a rent reduction? The LL is asking, no demanding a huge favor, without offering anything in return. And yes, people have lives to live. OP has her own stresses in life, and this is a huge one dropped in her lap.

If I were the LL, I would have laid out my "rules" and reduced the rent fairly. I wouldnt expect to disrupt a families life that was paying me to use my house as a private oasis, without giving them something in return. Showing a home is a B***h! Your life is not your own. You think she sounds entitiled, I think she sounds tired of having too much expected of her family for nothing. You expect her to give? I expect the LL too also. No one is being asked to give up anything but her. Fair is fair, and this isnt, imo.

Op, do you love this house and would you like to buy it? Is it in your price range? It'd be awesome to love where you're renting and get to try out the house before you buy.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,667 times
I find it unusual that she is now on a MTM lease. That provision in a lease is usually to handle a holdover tenant. It's not typical for a LL to have a one-year lease that changes into a MTM lease just for the heck of it.

The reason I mention this is because if she is living at the property as a holdover tenant then the LL is doing her a favor. If so, then I can see why the LL is looking at her tenancy as something as a favor to her, and something that is getting in the way of showings.

I just can't belive that the LL drafted a one-year lease that changed into MTM lease without it being a holdover provision.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Jan, all I see from your posts is trashing the renter and siding with the bossy agent. Can you not see a renter paying $3,000 a month or any amount, should be able to enjoy their home and lifestyle? Why should the OP's life be turned upside down, without a rent reduction? The LL is asking, no demanding a huge favor, without offering anything in return. And yes, people have lives to live. OP has her own stresses in life, and this is a huge one dropped in her lap.

If I were the LL, I would have laid out my "rules" and reduced the rent fairly. I wouldnt expect to disrupt a families life that was paying me to use my house as a private oasis, without giving them something in return. Showing a home is a B***h! Your life is not your own. You think she sounds entitiled, I think she sounds tired of having too much expected of her family for nothing. You expect her to give? I expect the LL too also. No one is being asked to give up anything but her. Fair is fair, and this isnt, imo.

Op, do you love this house and would you like to buy it? Is it in your price range? It'd be awesome to love where you're renting and get to try out the house before you buy.
OP clearly doesn't want to purchase this house!
However, I do agree that if I had tenants in a house I was selling that I would built in some kind of financial concession to address the inconvenience and perhaps incent the tenant to be more engaged in the process. We are assuming, however, that the OP is paying market rate rent on the house and that may or may not be the case. There are several homes in my neighborhood that typically lease $5-10K monthly and there are "castle Keepers" tenants in some of those homes who pay way under market rent rates. It may be the OP is paying a rent rate that is below market.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,667 times
That concession just may be that the LL is allowing her to stay there on a MTM basis.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
It's not typical for a LL to have a one-year lease that changes into a MTM lease just for the heck of it.
It may be less typical today than in the past and perhaps in more markets...
but that "with all other terms remaining in force" rollover was a very common thing.

Once past the initial "get to know you" year both sides will benefit from the simplicity.
The only reason I can see for official renewal is the extra fee that the PM will get.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I had one tenant in my listing that was a nightmare to work with. She insisted on 24 hour notice, which was fine. One time an agent showed up about 5 minutes past his window and she refused to let him in with his client. Another time I had made an appointment 24 hours in advance and then received a call from someone else that wanted to see it. I called her trying to do less than 24 but putting the appointments back to back so it would be the least intrusive for her. I really thought most people would prefer to deal with showings on one day over 1.5 hours, but she insisted on her full 24 hour notice, so she had showings on two different days instead.

She got evicted.

Now this type of renter I'd be totally for getting rid of and be on the LL's side. Both sides have to work together and it has to be fair for both, for it to work. I've read horror stories of renters ruining home sells, those need kicked to the curb.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
I did not know they were going to sell the house when we moved here. We've always rented and never been in this situation and don't know anyone who has. Most of my friends own houses. I'm going to get in touch w/ a friend who rents out a house of theirs and see what they've done. I respect her ethics so that will be helpful. Thanks for reminding me.

It's not the home buying process that I don't understand. It's that we're the ones expected to change our lives for no change in our rent or anything else. Yes, this does surprise me.

As I said all of us need each other for this to work comfortably. I'm assuming he needs the rent. He's not a professional RE investor. There's nothing to make me think there's any favor he's extending by having us stay. You're right though. I haven't approached him about reducing the rent. Maybe I should do that.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hmmmm....a renter that has not exactly been cooperative with me over showing the house...is on a month to month....and now wants a rent reduction....what should I do????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate