U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM

94 posts, read 228,642 times

Advertisements

What kind of relationship should I expect to have w/ the realtor that's selling the house we're renting. I feel as though I'm being harassed.

We're renting a single family house. Our year's lease is up and we're going month to month.
When the realtor came to arrange to show the house I had a couple of requests. Not to have a lockbox because we have a dog. I said most of the time one of us would be able to accommodate being here.

Because my husband works until very late at night I asked that it not be shown in the mornings. We could show on the weekends though. She wasn't happy but said OK.

I asked about having 24 hour notice which is what the lease says the LL needs before entering unless it's an emergency. She said no, she wouldn't agree to that. She would call whenever someone wanted to see it and we could say no.

When she called to make a time for the photographer to come over I said let me have a day to get it looking nice. She said, no that's OK and they came right over, took pictures which showed a nice home w/ lovely antiques but was kind of messy. So then she sent the pix to the LL (they live out of state) and said she can't show the house, she's taking it off the market. Fast forward a month and it's on the market. (I'm guessing she was trying to get the LL to get us out and it didn't work).

So a week ago it went on the market. She texts me 8 times in 10 minutes saying she HAS to talk to me. I was in the middle of getting ready to do a show and told her I couldn't talk but to text me. She wanted to show twice. I told her we could do sunday but monday I wouldn't be home and the dog would be there so that wouldn't work. I spent 5 hours making it look nice and the sunday people were no shows.

Tonight on the way to picking up my husband at the airport coming in from working in the middle east for 3 weeks she's texting I NeED to call her. I say I'm driving. I'll talk to her tomorrow. She must show the house tomorrow morning! I say no, mornings never are good per our original agreement. Plus my husband is just getting home and hopefully will be sleeping. She says she's losing clients and she has to have them come. Yes or no. I say sorry I can't. I also asked how she could be losing clients other than the one? She says she's just had to tell them no bc she knew she wouldn't be able to show it then. (I'm kind of doubtful)

So what the heck am I supposed to do. This is just the beginning and I'm feeling harassed. She HAS to talk to me and keeps texting until I respond. And I'm talking if I don't respond that very minute.

I really don't know what to do and this is stressing me out. I had thought to give her times for each upcoming week about when we'd be in. I did that for this last week and there were plenty of hours in each day.
I really think she's looking for anything to go back to the LL to say we're not being cooperative when I've tried to be very cooperative. I've thought about contacting the LL but he's pretty hands off w/ everything.

What should I expect? We're looking to buy a house so it's not as though we're just going to go to another rental. Does this just go with the territory or is she being unreasonable? And if she's being unreasonable how do I protect myself from her?

I'm hoping to hear too from real estate professionals.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM

32,119 posts, read 74,312,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
What kind of relationship should I expect to have w/ the realtor that's selling the house we're renting.
Antagonistic. You are in the way.
Their job would be much simpler WITHOUT you there at all.

Quote:
I asked about having 24 hour notice which is what the lease says the LL needs before
entering unless it's an emergency. She said no, she wouldn't agree to that.
So what the heck am I supposed to do.
Don't have these conversations with the agent.
Say: "call Mr Smith" then hang up.

Talk to your landlord only and follow that up with WRITTEN statements
"As per our phone conversation today..."

Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 PM

8,780 posts, read 8,529,247 times
deal through you LL not the agent. its not your home for him/her to be discussing things with and your LL should be giving you and arranging times with "acceptable" notice.
your LL should have worked out normal showing times between with you and them already, to which it sounds like you need to address this topic with him/her before it gets even more intrusive

you shouldn't have much of any direct contact with the realtor, this isn't your business arrangement its your LL's. if it happens again i would tell them to talk to your LL and work something out.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 AM

94 posts, read 228,642 times
OK so just after I wrote this I got an email from the LL. He said if we didn't accommodate the agent by being available for each time she called to show giving us 24 hour notice, they'll have to ask us to leave.

So first at least he acknowledged the 24 hr notice thing. But we're supposed to be available to show ANY time if they give us 24 hr notice. Most likely we'll be able to most times but isnt' there something we can do to set up a schedule so our lives aren't totally at their beck and call?

Mrrational and rego00123, I had no idea that she should be going through the LL to begin with so that's really good to know although he seems to think we should have to drop everything to show the house. So what's a reasonable schedule to present?

Thanks so much!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 AM

38,693 posts, read 43,554,373 times
Why don't you go ahead and find a new place to live ?

A 24 hour notice is extreme. Can you knock that down to a 4 or 8 hour notice. If I call at 4pm one day to show at 1 pm the next day, you can't reasonably make plans with such a long notice ?

It would be rare where I would even take pics with a tenant in the house or even put a house on the market. Tenants usually make it difficult and do not show the home in top condition.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM

8,247 posts, read 13,014,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post

Update: He emailed me saying I must be available to show any time she gives 24 hours notice or they'll have to ask us to leave. Are we realistically supposed to be available any day afternoon and eve if it's a 24 hr notice? Can I specify certain times so we're not totally at their beck and call How much would be reasonable.
You must be allow the house to be shown if you are given 24 hrs notice. period. Just make the beds and don't leave it a mess, but no need to knock yourself out or stress too much either.

If you're looking to buy, you'd better hurry up and get out there!! You may only have a few months. Best of luck, you'll be happier in your own home.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 AM

4,281 posts, read 11,858,287 times
Update: He emailed me saying I must be available to show any time she gives 24 hours notice or they'll have to ask us to leave. Are we realistically supposed to be available any day afternoon and eve if it's a 24 hr notice? Can I specify certain times so we're not totally at their beck and call How much would be reasonable.

I believe that you having 24 hours notice for a showing is more then sufficient time to prepare for it otherwise you are standing in the way of the sale and I would want you out ASAP.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 AM

16,377 posts, read 20,679,042 times
You must allow the home to be shown if 24 hr notice is given. You don't have to be there and you don't have to approve the showing.

Check your state landlord tenant law about notice. You already have 24 hr notice. Now you need to find out if there are any "excluded" hours in your state law. Some states have set M-F hours or certain AM and PM windows for when you are required to allow showings. Other times you can refuse.

You are within law to refuse showings with less than 24 hr notice.

Here's the kicker: You are on month-to-month lease. If you hold your ground and demand 24 hr notice (which is your right), then you are probably going to be asked to move and then you have 30 days to get something else.

If you want to stay a tad bit longer, try to comply. Most showings aren't in the AM anyway. Let hubby stay in bed and leave a note on the bedroom door to warn people. Go about living your normal life as far as showings. You cannot refuse AM showings unless your state law has certain set hours. Some states (few) don't allow rental property to be shown on weekends. Maybe yours is one of them?

If agent texts you demanding you call her back immediately. Just ignore the mssg if you are driving or busy. To be honest, there should be no reason to call her. She should give notice of date/time of showing and you make note of it and you prepare your dog/home for the showing. That's it.

When are you moving? This home could be sold at any time. Or they might give 30 day notice soon because you are setting too many rules.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 AM

2,431 posts, read 5,209,044 times
For your peace of mind, and to give you plenty of time to search for a place to purchase, you may want to move to a short-term rental. A lot of effort, but might be worth it in the long run.

As for the dog/lockbox situation, maybe the dog could go to doggie daycare for a while? Then the house could be shown more often (no need to run home).

Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,051,874 times
I agree with those who say you either should consider moving while looking to buy, or be much more accommodating of the seller and agent. From what you have said, I believe the seller can give you 30 days' notice to vacate (for ANY reason, because you have a month-to-month lease), and if you don't want that to happen, you may have to live with serious inconvenience for awhile. I sympathize about the hassle, but I don't think the agent or seller is being unreasonable. The nature of having one's house on the market requires that the house be available a lot, especially the first week on the market, when there probably is going to be the highest level of interest. Often little notice can be given -- the buyers are lining up a lot of houses to see in a short time and may not be able to plan that far ahead, and if the agent wants to sell the house, she has to be accommodating. The agent can't control what people schedule and if she wants to get the house sold, she can't tell a lot of people the house is not available.

If you put yourself in the seller's position, I think you would find it easier to understand. They may lose lots of opportunities to sell, and at some point (soon) they may decide that losing a month or three of rent is worth it in order to get the house sold, so if you exasperate them, they may give you the 30 days' notice.

Can the dog be crated for short times? I also agree with those who say you shouldn't worry about its being spotless--just try to keep it generally clean and do last minute stuff. Anyone looking at a property being rented should understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate