Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 AM

32 posts, read 68,514 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks....

As you all know I am first time home buyer. House I am buying is 2003 built home (10years old) Me and sellers agreed to a price on 03/11 and it is contingent upon inspection and attorney approval. Attorney approval is not done yet. I just completed house inspection. Few items were noted and and needs to be addressed.

My main concerns following,

1. Water heater and air conditioning units are closer to its end of life time (mentioned by the manufacturer). I am concern because I do not want to get a huge bill of putting new things in just when we move in.
2. During the water fill in the Jacuzzi tube on the 2nd floor and when running. The noise level on the 1st floor is really bad. Inspector said the best is to insulate it.
3. Hard wood floors are discolored where the seller has placed area rugs.
4. There is crack in the outer basement wall and inspector said it needs to be sealed not big thing to be concern.

Am I being an ass by asking to fix these? Or asking money from the seller?

Also...end of Monday is the deadline for me to complete the Attorney approval. Should I complete that or hold it until I negotiate this with the sellers? Please help me.

Thanks

Last edited by rubu; 03-17-2013 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
No way would I replace HVAC/water heater systems on a house I was selling but YMMV. You're buying a used house - that stuff could last another day or another decade, there is no way to tell. If you want that stuff brand new, buy a new house.

AS far as the other stuff, everything is a negotiation. Do you have a buyer's agent representing you?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default You can ask, but...

What I read is that the market in Rochester, NY is balanced with prices rising slightly.

You can ask, but are unlikely to have the seller fix most.
1. You don't replace 9+ year old water heaters and ac units. You wait until they stop working.
2. The hardwood floors would have to refinished. This could cost $2-4K.
3. The noise from the Jacuzzi does not count. How often are you going to fill it and run it?
4. The crack is "not a big thing".

"Overall house is in great shape."

You either want it or you don't.

Ask for the crack to be sealed.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
You have exactly one item on your list that might need to be addressed.

So you want the seller to fix things that are working perfectly well because at some point in the future they will wear out ? Good luck with that. I don't think you're going to find your seller agreeable to that. You're not buying a new house, you're buying used house. You never know when something is going to go.

The whirlpool works, but you don't like the noise. The question is , does it work? It works, noise is not a repair issue. You ask for repairs when it doesn't work, if it leaks, if there's broken ceramic tiling, etc.

You knew when you made an offer that there were rugs down on HW. Sounds like area rugs. You had the opportunity to lift the edges to see what the floors looked like underneath. This is a cosmetic issue - it does not effect the safety/ mechanicals, etc. of the house. The seller is also not likely to refinish floors for you.

The foundation crack is what is known as a patent defect. That means it was readily observable by anyone prior to the contract. You knew it was there when you made an offer. Is it bad enough that it's leaking through? Doesn't sound that bad as you said it was just on the outside wall. This is a quick and easy fix and this is the one thing you might ask the seller to do. Although the seller may counter with the fact that you knew it was there.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM

appreciate the input. Inspector could not run the air conditioner. So I am not sure if it is even working. Well we will run Jacuzzi often. I guess it is a personal preference. Correction here......the noise is coming when I am on the first floor while the Jacuzzi is getting filled in the second floor. That noise is not tolerable. I am not buying an expensive house to make me feel like I am an apartment when I am in the first floor.

Please understand I am asking for your help. Not to bash me and be rude. I feel like I asked these questions from seller . I believe any first time home buyer would have these questions. When it comes to heating and air conditioning. Isn't it like buying a car would you buy a car knowing tires are about to run out? don't you have to negotiate the price to include that?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Yes, you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubu View Post
don't you have to negotiate the price to include that?
Yes and you did.
You made an offer.
When you made the offer, you knew about 3 of these concerns. Therefore, your offer took those into account.
Other than sealing the [not a big concern] crack, you are done negotiating.
Now, concentrate on closing.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Yes and you did.
You made an offer.
When you made the offer, you knew about 3 of these concerns. Therefore, your offer took those into account.
Other than sealing the [not a big concern] crack, you are done negotiating.
Now, concentrate on closing.
When we made the offer....we did not know about those things.....I am surprised by these replies....I am first time home buyer damn it. We are new to this whole thing.

I will concentrate on closing when I want...answer the question if not do not answer.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
The issue is that you (and your buyer agent whom you rely on) apparently didn't look over the house very well when you made the offer. An older water heater and AC unit are quite apparent. Out here, I can't imagine any seller replacing something that was in good working order, safe, and just aging. That is kind of the thing with buying a resale home and not new construction. You might want to ask the seller to have them both serviced and then pay for a home warranty for you in case they go out during the first year. That would be a very reasonable request in my area.

Repairing the foundation crack is a very normal request out here. Insulating a jacuzzi because the noise bothers you...eh. Some sellers might do it because it wouldn't be particularly expensive. They will roll their eyes at the request, but I'd ask.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The issue is that you (and your buyer agent whom you rely on) apparently didn't look over the house very well when you made the offer. An older water heater and AC unit are quite apparent. Out here, I can't imagine any seller replacing something that was in good working order, safe, and just aging. That is kind of the thing with buying a resale home and not new construction. You might want to ask the seller to have them both serviced and then pay for a home warranty for you in case they go out during the first year. That would be a very reasonable request in my area.

Repairing the foundation crack is a very normal request out here. Insulating a jacuzzi because the noise bothers you...eh. Some sellers might do it because it wouldn't be particularly expensive. They will roll their eyes at the request, but I'd ask.
Thank you so much for providing a sensible and a reasonable answer. Appreciate it.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
No seller will do anything about working items. You should have a structural engineer examine the foundation and make recommendations. May cost $300-400. Best money you can spend.

All the rest is cosmetic.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate