U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When selling a home is it typically better, for showing purposes, to leave it furnished or show it u
Furnished 7 77.78%
Unfurnished 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 PM

373 posts, read 1,409,396 times

Advertisements

For those of you following the saga... the realty company finally released us from our listing contract. So we are looking for a new realtor. We now know, through this forum, what questions we should have asked the first time. But here is a question for you professionals. Is it better to to sell your home furnished or not furnished. Our furniture is new (within the last 2 years) and relatively contemporary. I have pictures but wasn't sure if posting them would really help in the general discussion. What are you thoughts as agents? Too Furnish or Not To Furnish...That is the Question.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,066,075 times
Furnished homes typically sell faster. The most important thing is that the house look like a model -- no piles of junk lying around, no "excess" furnishings or accessories -- and be completely clean. Rooms without furniture almost always look smaller than furnished rooms. They're not welcoming, and buyers can hyper-focus on small imperfections. So keep at least some of your furnishings in the house but at the same time try to make the house feel as bright and open as possible (light sells).

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,703,559 times
You're really asking two different questions. Your poll asks if the house should be shown furnished pending its sale. Your narrative speaks about selling the house with the furniture. Those are two different things.

In my expereince, it's best to market the house with the furniture inside, so I answered you poll in that fashion. However, it should be unpersonalized so prospective buyers can see themselves in the house, and not you in the house.

As for selling a furnished house, one where the furniture goes with the house, I would say that's not the best thing to do as a general rule. As an example, I have my own stuff and don't want other people's stuff. Whether or not their stuff meets my taste, I don't want it and don't want to pay for it. What the heck am I going to do with double the bedoom sets, double couches, double TV's, etc?

If there happens to be something I want to remain with the house, I can always include it in my offer. People will do that but I think a turn-key totally furnished house wouldn't be desireable to the broadest spectrum of buyers.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 PM

781 posts, read 3,691,547 times
As the other poster stated....furnished like a model. When we sold our homes, we removed the photos, knick knacks, extra furntiure, appliances off the counters, nothing on the fridge...the buyer does not want to see the kids paintings, etc.

Bathrooms are biggies....no plungers/toliet bowl wands out, no kids bath toys, clean towels folded on vanity, etc.

Bedrooms....beds made, clean bedside tables.....just a light and maybe a book, make sure your laundry basket is out of sight, etc.

I usually always try to have fresh flowers in the kitchen/dining room. Open all the curtains so that the house does look bright but make sure the windows are clean and the window sashes/ledges are not dusty!!!

Good luck this time around:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate