Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

What an odd thread.

Most people would have posted "I just listed this morning and already have three showing. That is awesome" instead of complaining.

And then you follow up with getting an offer and want to keep showing the house for longer. I can only imagine the posts if you counter at full price and lose the buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 AM

65 posts, read 76,738 times
How bad do you want to sell.If you really want to sell, there will be some short term pain but keep your focus on how you will gain at the end of it all.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
If you are going to continue to show, here's an idea that might keep the appointment times bundled within the same time frame (back to back to back showings): request Assisted Showings. This way, you'll agent will be present at all showings, and will be actively working to SELL your house, minimize the negative, accentuate the positive, etc. Even if they just go in to open up the house, be there to answer any questions, the agent isn't going to want to be there 3x in one day, spread over several hours. Assisted showings are common in some area, less so in others...

Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.de View Post
Well, we got an offer, I guess the showings paid off. :-)

The offer is below asking by $9k but it's been on the market for only 12 hours so now we're talking with our agent to see if we can hold off at least a day to see if we can other offers. I'd hate to leave money on the table. Hopefully it's not a mistake to counter that we want full asking...
I think you need to stop complaining about the sales process and look at all the positives. You complained about potential buyers staying a long time, but to me that means they're really interested in your house. I sense a little moaning over an offer only $9K below asking. I have relatives who lived in Hopkinton and I'm guessing that's a very small discount below asking, so it sounds like a very good first offer. And you got that very good offer with your house on the market for only half a day. You should thank your lucky stars.

I don't know your local market, but if I offered that close to asking and you countered with full asking, I would walk away unless I really loved your home. As I recall, there are a lot of nice homes in Hopkinton, but I have no idea what the inventory or pricing is like in your area.

Finally, I would not get too cocky in your situation. It wouldn't be the first time that sellers were so demanding that the buyers walked away and they were left empty-handed.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I think you need to stop complaining about the sales process and look at all the positives. You complained about potential buyers staying a long time, but to me that means they're really interested in your house. I sense a little moaning over an offer only $9K below asking. I have relatives who lived in Hopkinton and I'm guessing that's a very small discount below asking, so it sounds like a very good first offer. And you got that very good offer with your house on the market for only half a day. You should thank your lucky stars.

I don't know your local market, but if I offered that close to asking and you countered with full asking, I would walk away unless I really loved your home. As I recall, there are a lot of nice homes in Hopkinton, but I have no idea what the inventory or pricing is like in your area.

Finally, I would not get too cocky in your situation. It wouldn't be the first time that sellers were so demanding that the buyers walked away and they were left empty-handed.
What he said.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM

238 posts, read 590,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post

what he said, also

Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:

The offer is below asking by $9k but it's been on the market for only 12 hours so now we're talking with our agent to see if we can hold off at least a day to see if we can other offers. I'd hate to leave money on the table. Hopefully it's not a mistake to counter that we want full asking...

Hopkinton
Is there an expiration date on the offer? Ours is standard 3 days, but buyers can choose a shorter time. No reason not to wait until near the end to see if other offers come in.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny72 View Post
............ It has all new flooring and painting so that part is ok..If I am not able to sell it I will consider an upgraded kitchen..but other reasons are too dark, no balcony, I have stopped reading them just because at the moment if it's not something to do with the price I really don't care.
I would not completely upgrade the kitchen. If it already has new paint and flooring, limit additional to a professional paint job on the cabinets in white or cream color. Get some adorable color coordinated accessories to sit on the counter tops.

If the counter tops are really ratty, cover them with unfinished oak flooring, sand it down, leave it unfinished and you have butcher block counter tops. You can get unfinished oak flooring for not much more than $1 a sq ft if you are a good shopper.

No balcony, you can't do anything about.

My son got a really good price on a nice house because it was too dark and he had 2 small windows removed and replaced with bigger windows. The small windows he removed were installed in other rooms. He put in 2 solar tubes and removed the old back door and replaced it with a door that had a large window in it. The house is now light and bright and probably worth 10K more. Cost to him was around $1,000 (but we never use expensive general contractors to do work)

I think solar tubes are about $135 at Lowes and my roofer can install one in about an hour, so $35 for the roofer. They make a huge difference in the interior light.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:

It's good to hear the market along the 495 belt is almost as strong as the market inside 128. I always tell my clients that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. In this market, the buyers that rush to see a home are often the ones who are the most motivated. They've likely been looking a while and have a strong handle on values. I wouldn't take their offer right off the bat, but talk to your agent to see if you should counter or just say that you want full price.

Quote:
Hopkinton
That's a nice town. I don't usually cover that area, but last year a client asked me to help them out in Hopkinton. Where are you planning on moving to?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Is there an expiration date on the offer? Ours is standard 3 days, but buyers can choose a shorter time. No reason not to wait until near the end to see if other offers come in.
In MA, we are not so patient. Most offers I've seen expire within 24 hours. I've often written offers that expire in less than 12 hours. Really, how long does it take to decide if an offer is good or not? Once you counter or reject the offer, it's null & void anyway. So many agents around here don't understand/know that. They think the whole negotiation has to be completed before the expiration date. I have to explain it to agents all the time. So many mediocre practitioners out there . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate