U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM

4,423 posts, read 6,816,868 times

Advertisements

We just listed our home and we have a few furniture items we want to get rid of before we move, i.e., dining room and pool table. Would we be better to keep these items throughout the showings and scramble to sell them once we have a deal? The pool table is a nice, furniture quality, turned leg table which is in the living room. Would we be making a mistake to show both the living room and dining room empty?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:18 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,652,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
We just listed our home and we have a few furniture items we want to get rid of before we move, i.e., dining room and pool table. Would we be better to keep these items throughout the showings and scramble to sell them once we have a deal? The pool table is a nice, furniture quality, turned leg table which is in the living room. Would we be making a mistake to show both the living room and dining room empty?
I'd rather see an empty living room than one with a pool table in it but that's just me.

If I were you I'd ditch the pool table and rent or borrow a living room suite that scales nicely to the size of your room.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 AM

582 posts, read 1,932,094 times
I think it would depend on the size of the room, whether you also have a family room (which is a room I would more expect a pool table to be in) and whether the rest of your house is going to be empty. If the whole rest of the house is going to be furnished I would furnish those rooms. However, you could make the dining room set part of the deal to sweeten it if needed, and if there is nowhere else to put the pool table in your home I would sell it and rent a living room suite so that you can show the PB what the room should look like.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM

4,423 posts, read 6,816,868 times
I'm the original poster and I didn't really explain the layout. It's a Florida house, newer, and we have a gigantic great room which is our living room/tv room. The actual living room is useless though beautiful, it has a wall of glass and no real walls for placing furniture. The traffic pattern also would not support furniture placement. It lends itself beautifully, however, as a billiard room. If we got rid of the pool table and tried to place furniture in this room, believe me, it would look worse. My question was... furnished or unfurnished? Leave the pool table or show the room empty?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,029,570 times
Generally speaking, homes show better furnished, but billiard rooms are not usually high on a buyer's list of priorities and in my experience are typically found in homes that have a very male vibe (frequently bordering on frat house, not that yours necessarily does) that tends to turn off women shopping for homes. And since women make most of the home buying decisions, that's not usually a good thing.

Of course, it's very hard to make a recommendation without being able to actually see the room. If you could post a photo, you'd get a more informed response.

If the formal living room makes a great billiard room, I might leave the pool table as long as it leaves plenty of room to move around the room, but if it could realistically be staged as something that more people are looking for -- a sunroom, a home office, a play room, etc. -- I'd probably try to do that.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,283,100 times
We are going to make an offer one of two homes in NC. One was furnished and one wasn't.We will try and push the closing out but if it means the offer is rejected we will have a quick close.I have seen homes that have no furniture in it and others that have and it made no difference to me. I just always had my tape measure with me to make sure my furniture would fit.
We will have an Estate sale just before we move. That sounds so much better then a garage sale and we can let the people in to see what is for sale . So much easier then putting everthing out like the eliptiacal and tread mill,dining room set ect.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM

376 posts, read 1,434,451 times
With the current market the way it is the seller needs to ensure the home shows in the best possible condition for the buyers they are trying to attract. I would recommend previewing some model homes for ideas. Keep in mind buyers some times are not visual so though you may have the pool table in living and think they'll get this is the living room. If they want a formal living room and don't see upon entrance they will most likely move to the one that they do.

Best of luck!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,516,829 times
Personally, I would leave the room empty and leave pictures of what it looked like with furniture in it. If you took a poll, it would probably split pretty evenly on what to do. Some people can't handle an empty house, I'm not sure why, after all, that's what you are buying, Some people can't handle a house with furniture in it. The pictures give an idea to those who can't envision the house with furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate