Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 9,490 times

Advertisements

My Father-in-law recently died leaving my MIL with a modular home on Signal Mtn. They have had it for about 15 years and it is in excellent condition. The property it sits on belongs to her son. She is not in good health and is 81 years old. We are considering selling it so that she can live with us. The problem is that they refinanced it about 3 years ago with a low monthly pmt. so very little has gone toward the principal. What are the chances of selling it and moving it off the land for what is owed on it? Would one that old be financible? I have no idea what new ones are even going for now. It is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, large living room/dining room and small kitchen. I would estimate it to be around 1100 sq. ft. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 AM

11 posts, read 34,597 times
would you consider rent or rent to own?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 AM

582 posts, read 2,005,976 times
I think you should do a little research on what new ones are going for, what any that might have sold recently that were older are going for, and if there are any that have sold. You might want to rent it out for awhile and see if you can get the mortgage paid down. If it's a low mortgage maybe you can rent it out for more than the mortgage for a little while and get some equity before you sell it. In the meantime, if your mother-in-law needs to move out that would be a good way to convince her to do it.

Good luck, it's beautiful up there so hopefully it will sell. Come to think of it though, the weather is going to start getting rough out there soon so if you do decide to sell wait until the snow comes and goes again.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM

10,908 posts, read 21,878,381 times
I'd say you have pretty much no chance of selling it for it's cost for someone to have to move it. Of course it depends on what is owed and what it's worth now. The best advice I can give you is to call a local agent.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,930,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfilly View Post
What are the chances of selling it and moving it off the land for what is owed on it? Would one that old be financible?
Slim to none.

Not really

Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,201,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfilly View Post
My Father-in-law recently died leaving my MIL with a modular home on Signal Mtn. They have had it for about 15 years and it is in excellent condition. The property it sits on belongs to her son. She is not in good health and is 81 years old. We are considering selling it so that she can live with us. The problem is that they refinanced it about 3 years ago with a low monthly pmt. so very little has gone toward the principal. What are the chances of selling it and moving it off the land for what is owed on it? Would one that old be financible? I have no idea what new ones are even going for now. It is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, large living room/dining room and small kitchen. I would estimate it to be around 1100 sq. ft. Any ideas?
did they take equity out when they refinanced or just refin for a lower payment
do you actually know how much equity is in the home right now?

I mean when they bought the home it sounds like they just financed the house itself so why not sell it land and all and gain equity off the land

Old 11-09-2007, 12:34 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,536,256 times
15 yr. old modulars unfortunately so not have a great resale value here in Missouri, unless the land is exceptional. I know, I am a Realtor, however, I really would advise contacting a respected firm in the area and ask for a CMA...Comparative Market Analysis. Granted, this will not be an appraisal, bur it should give you some idea of the value. Or, spend the extra $'s and have an actual appraisal. I wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do. It is a hard decision to make when you are left in a situation such as this.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 AM

17,432 posts, read 65,668,405 times
Subdivide the land with a small lot, and sell it. If her son doesn't want neighbors, or be a landlord, You'd almost have to pay someone to take it off the land.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,877,254 times
The only one it might be appealing to is the son who owns the property. Would he be willing to at least finish paying off the note that is owed on it?

Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,564,542 times
A modular home in Florida has very little re-sale value. Unfortunately, they are considered a depreciating asset. Lenders in my area will not write new loans on any unit over 10 years old and they're really tough on that, requiring lots of money down. I know several people who are upside down in debt because of this.

Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate