Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times

Advertisements

OP, I think the reason some people were focusing on the details of the inspection is that you were using it as (at least part of) the basis for characterizing your seller as "difficult." If others here did not deem her reaction to your inspection repair requests unreasonable, then what they are basically saying is that they do not see her as "difficult" and you should have smooth sailing through closing.

I agree that (at least in my state - VA) there is little that can go wrong at this point, other than the seller's taking fixtures (we once had a seller use her old key and take the dryer electric outlet, so we learned from that to make sure to change locks immediately at closing), and others posting here have pointed out the importance of a fastidious walk-through. I wonder whether your seller got a back up offer that was higher/better than your offer sometime after yours and she is hoping that things fall apart on your end so she can re-sell the house. If so, knowing this, you might be even more motivated to close - to spite her and to know you may have gotten a house for less than market value, even with the inspection changes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Do your walk through and bring someone with you if you can - someone who owns or has owned a home. I don't agree that it's OK to take towel bars or whatever just because they are $5 at Walmart. That stuff is supposed to convey with the house, no one wants to be installing random stuff when they just bought a house. ANd taking it is just petty and dumb.

If there is other, bigger stuff that you want and you're not sure if it comes with the house, better ask NOW. I know a couple people who've thought that certain kitchen cabinetry or what they thought were built-ins were coming with the house .... and they weren't. So if there is something that you *think* is part of the house, but aren't sure, nail it down now.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Do your walk through and bring someone with you if you can - someone who owns or has owned a home. I don't agree that it's OK to take towel bars or whatever just because they are $5 at Walmart. That stuff is supposed to convey with the house, no one wants to be installing random stuff when they just bought a house. ANd taking it is just petty and dumb.
No one said it was ok for sellers to take little things from the house, it is dumb but it is dumb to worry about such things being a buyer. Honestly, most reasonable buyers would not make a big deal over such tiny things, it is to their own detriment. If I got a good deal on a house I wanted and killed it over a towel bar, I would rethink being a home owner at all. Home buying and home ownership isn't for wimps, those averse to taking risks or who make decisions based on emotion rather than good business sense.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Austin View Post
Again, for those who are focusing in on the inspection issues, that is not our concern. We have accepted that we will have to do the repairs ourselves and consider it part of the cost of the house. We made a request, she denied most of it, that was that. I don't understand why some people is fixating on this issue. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "difficult" as that seems to be perceived as "she won't pay for things".

We are asking if there is anything we should be concerned about during the closing period when dealing with a seller that you don't completely trust. She strikes us as the type of person who is not going to leave a note when she hits your car in a parking lot. Fine, we get that. Does that mean we should involve an attorney to go over every detail before the option period is up? Or is a thorough inspection and standard legal protection enough?
You are making this about the seller's personality instead of the outcome you want. You're buying a house. Be a big boy instead of a hand-wringing worry wort. Good grief.

No, there is nothing you should be concerned about, other than getting all of your paperwork to the lender and making sure you can close on time. The deal has gone "hard", barring a short appraisal.

Your agent should be handling everything and screening you from any drama and unnecessary details. I've dealt with some of the worst imaginable selling agents/owners and my buyer never knew the difference, because that's how good agents handle the communication and negotiation. Sounds like there is no agent on the other side of the deal so, yes, it's a harder deal. So what? Life is like that.

If all this griping is an excuse for an underlying buyer's remorse, then that's a different matter. But the process of buying a home isn't always a "feel good" process, and the counterparty isn't always a "nice" person, or ever a "reasonable" person. So what? Keep your eye on the finish line and don't get sucked into all of your unneeded "concern" and drama.

Good Luck!

Steve

Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,985 times
Safety issues, ones that do not meet code, have to be repaired in my state. On the other hand, if you take exception with the coloring of the carpet of the hardware on the cabinets, then that is on your dime.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM

12 posts, read 54,181 times
Thanks for all the help. A lot of what has been said here has eased my concerns.

Yes, our agent has been telling us the same thing and sitting down with us, etc. But this is my first time through the process and I thought some additional opinions wouldn't hurt. In my research about home buying, I read many horror stories that may have done more harm than good.

We're moving forward with the deal, and we're really looking forward to the house!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Don't let the boogieman scare you.
Even if a couple of new wrinkles do appear, wipe your hand across them, smooth them out,smile and keep the prize in sight... your new home!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
To the OP - it will all work out. Once you've closed and moved in....the next time you venture out to buy a home you'll be a pro! Everyone was a newbie with jitters at one point!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Alex, congrats and hope everything goes smooth from here on out. Sorry some posters didnt get that you were just asking what all 1st time home buyers would ask. From your posts, I think you sound like a dream buyer, very easy going and personally I think you might have been too easy. You paid full price, you're paying everything yourself that the inspector found wrong, even a window the seller lied about or forgot to mention. You also dont have to sell a house 1st.

I can only dream that I'd had buyers like you. I agree with some that you'll have nothing else to worry about to close. I cant remember if you posted whether you've had the appraisal... if thats over, it should be a done deal from here on out. Enjoy your new home!

Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 843 times
What if the seller never disclosed and states that they are unaware of water damage but was found to have moisture elevation around the wash room and half bath (rooms are side by side) baseboards? Seller has painted, put in new carpet and toilet seats are gone. My guess is bad renters, but how do I negotiate her to get it accessed and treated V. Walking away from contract which she has already stated on doing. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate