Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 AM

402 posts, read 1,406,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, the house . . . is directly across the street from a hospital. . . . There definitely is traffic at all hours, but it is very slow moving traffic. . . .

What else should I be worried about in this situation?
As population increases, traffic will increase. As traffic increases, noise will increase and air quality will decrease. Also, not all ambulances are slow moving. Some race by with light and sirens blaring. Life Flight (or whichever) helicopters will be landing at times.

Resale would be a real nightmare.

I wouldn't buy it, but I wouldn't buy a mansion in the swamp either. I always think about resale--just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I work at a tiny 85 bed hospital now and there were million dollar homes being built next to the hospital before the crash. There are a couple of unfinished houses and one that was lived in. It sold for around 400k and now has a for rent sign in front of it. I don't think the owners could handle not having any neighbors for their kids to play with. I'd buy that house if the price was right. It would still be quieter then living in the city, even with the shift change noise.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:

What else should I be worried about in this situation?
Just thought I would throw this out there...for eight years I lived two blocks from a fire station.
Which would have been fine - and actually was - except I had two (large, loud) dogs that howled at every siren in my zip code.

So if sirens + howling dogs aren't your thing, there's another thing to worry about.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM

60 posts, read 305,827 times
I live fairly close to the local hospital and I hear sirens CONSTANTLY. Fortunately for me, I live one street back from the main drag and the noise is still bad enough. I get woken up/disturbed all the time. I can't imagine living right next door to the hospital. I would've moved already. I live in large city with above average crime btw.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I would not buy it. Traffic and ambulance noise, could be a factor.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 AM

8 posts, read 30,127 times
U like that house, right?

So what are you waiting for, I think the hospital and its parking lot will not gonna effect your privacy. So you should go for it. But, if you still not sure then reply me back we will discuss about this.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Any interest in making a little money every now and then from renting a room to someone visiting a patient from a distance or for some reason needing to stay overnight? And would your community allow this?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the responses, everyone! Very helpful.

Turns out it is a "regional" hospital - pretty big. It does have a helipad.

I'm not in a hurry and am exploring a variety of options, so maybe it makes sense to wait on this one. I currently live in another town, so although "camping out" on the property a few times makes excellent sense, I don't think I'll be able to do that.

Anyway, I so appreciate all of your input!

Your situation cries out for a few visits with neighbors who are adjacent to the hospital. Additionally, you can check the local tax appraisers real estate records to see what the hospital proximity has done to property values. (This could even be a good investment if Clinics are sprouting-up next to the hospital, as they are in many areas .... but, then, that would entail a move on your part.) Ask your Realtor to find out how long similar properties have remained on the market in the past.

If you ultimately feel like you simply 'have to have this property' -- negotiate with the above facts in hand.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM

170 posts, read 373,803 times
It all depends on what kind of area, home, price and hospital we are talking about. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a fairly priced beautiful home in a sort after area with stellar schools and decent commute to my work. I can live with little noise if other factors align. I grew up in downtown.

On the other hand, I wouldn't even consider an average house for average price in an average area with average schools and heavy noise.

It's a case by case decision.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
I used to live across from a Hospital. There were two entrances to the parking lot and mine was on the quieter side (for what it's worth, I couldn't actually see the lot from my house - it was blocked by a slight hill and some trees).

Ambulances mostly used the main entrance, but would rarely have their sirens on at that point. At night it's even less frequent that the'd use sirens.

There was also a helipad, that was used maybe once a week on average. The helicopter noise was noticeable, but I was never woken up at night because of it.

I think the main thing to consider is how busy that hospital is. If you're in a city, it may be worse. But just because you're across from a hospital, doesn't mean you should run away. You should use it to your advantage and negotiate a slightly lower price though. Chances are other buyers might have the same concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate