Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 PM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times

Advertisements

Well its been 7 months on the market and not one offer.We have dropped our price 16k and are offering help with closing cost.Our agent is planning a open house this Sunday.I was trying to think of something to say in the ad that may help stir some interest and not sound deperate.Like bring all offers.We need to do something have had LOTS of showings and the open houses have always brought people in.Have never had any negative comments.Lets hear some hooks.Anything.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Your price is too high. You can market until you are blue in the face, but your price is too high.

You have had lots of showings. Every one of those buyers have rejected your home. Ask your agent to follow up on all those showings to find out why the buyers rejected your house. It will help you understand why your price is too high.

Assuming that your house is in good shape and is being presented well, your price is too high. Your job now is to find out exactly how far you need to drop your price to attract a buyer. There is a specific number that will work and your agent should help you find it. It needs to be below all the other comparable homes.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Your price is too high. You can market until you are blue in the face, but your price is too high.

You have had lots of showings. Every one of those buyers have rejected your home. Ask your agent to follow up on all those showings to find out why the buyers rejected your house. It will help you understand why your price is too high.

Assuming that your house is in good shape and is being presented well, your price is too high. Your job now is to find out exactly how far you need to drop your price to attract a buyer. There is a specific number that will work and your agent should help you find it. It needs to be below all the other comparable homes.
Did the OP not say that out of all of the feedback there was no negatives? I would guess that if it was price someone would have said that by now don't you? Sometimes it takes just that one person who falls in love with your house and the OP hasn't hit it yet....

Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
We had a lot of problems getting feedback from our realtors when we were selling. We finally switched realtors...twice...and got a good one who always shared feedback.

It took us six months to sell our house but the main problems with the house were ones we couldn't help: the layout and the fact that there was not a garage. We just had to be patient and wait for the right buyer, who did eventually come along.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Alot of times buyers do not want to hurt the feelings of the sellers and "kill them w/kindness" so to speak, when realistically it ALWAYS comes down to price. No offers in 7 months? Yeah, you're no where where you need to be. Putting lipstick on a pig by dressing up your ads in the paper will do nothing. Neither will holding more open houses...

If you're serious about selling you'll find a realtor who KNOWS your LOCAL market...(alot of realtors do say all RE is local, right?)....

You do want/have to sell, right?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:20 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times
Close the tread.I'll get banned If I reply.Thanks anyway.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
Close the tread.I'll get banned If I reply.Thanks anyway.
Hey, I'm sorry if being blunt hurt your feelings. Don't be offended by the truth. Many here have and finally woke up after chasing for too long...

It's NOT personal...you want to hear what YOU want, but that is not the best recipe to sell your house.

That is the goal for all who criticize constructively on this forum.....there is good advice here....

Old 10-31-2007, 06:39 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,067 times
1970, I think I understand why you got upset. You weren't asking for people's opinions on the price of your home (which nobody knows and therefore nobody knows how you are priced for your market so they shouldn't be commenting). I am not sure of things to say on your open house ad to get more people to come other than stating that you are a motivated seller, putting money towards closing costs, and then play up whatever really good feature you have. Does your house have new flooring, new appliances, really nice school district? Any of those things would work. I lived in the city and advertised that there was a bus stop right outside my neighborhood, which drew in 3 or 4 lookers more than I would have gotten for that particular open house (according to my agent) because they specifically wanted a place where they could take the bus instead of driving. Good luck on your open house!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I do appraisals. That means I don't care whether a house sells or not. I am always interested in the dynamic that creates market responses, and after 20 years there is one constant. Problem houses get sold with a short marketing time by pricing it right. Magnificent houses don't get sold because they are not priced right. Everything is offset by price. You HAVE to make the value worth the money.

I understand there are outside factors that affect your price. Things like a lack of equity (too much mortgage) where you actually have to pay someone to take your house. Take a HARD look at the market. Look at every house that sold in your neighborhood in the last 6 months. Graph them and see what the trend is.....then get ahead of the trend. If you are upside down, and you don't have the money to cover the deficiency, talk to a bankruptcy attorney.

Bottom line is, price determines the sale and the time of sale. If you are priced wrong you sit on the house for seven months. If you are priced right, you get on with your life.

If this angers you or makes you feel bad or otherwise spoils your day, let me know and I will post something about how all the Realtors are bad and are picking on you and the people in your market just don't understand your needs or desires......on second thought, never mind. I get hired and make my living telling the truth.......blowing smoke and making people feel good isn't in my nature.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Well, I'm not going to touch the price discussion but offer a suggestion instead. It's difficult to give "selling words" to a property we know nothing about.

Remove all your emotions about the house...totally disconnect. Go outside and look as if you were a buyer shopping and I mean really LOOK! What do you see that sets this house apart from all the others in the neighborhood? Now do the same thing inside. After all, there were things about this house that attracted you to it when you bought it. Those things will/should attract others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate