Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:46 AM

333 posts, read 1,988,914 times

Advertisements

Well we are moving on the home inspection of my house. I got my dogs in doggy day care for the day..We are going to go look at houses ....again...even though they are beat up...at least the ones we have seen and priced high.

Anyway, have any of you left something small that you didn't fix for the home inspection? When our house was inspected two years ago, the inspector said it was one of the cleanest houses he has seen. We haven't had any problems..and hopefully it has stayed that way. There is one small thing that needs to be fixed. There are a couple outlets that don't hold the plug well. I plug in my vaccum and if I pull on the cord a bit , it pops right out. My husband said that was an easy fix and very inexpensive. Now my question is, do you leave that so the home inspector has something he can list ...because my buyer is "extremely picky" and is probably going to beat us up and nickel and dime us. So if we leave it , then the buyer can ask for it and feel like he is getting something? So he doesn't ask for stupid stuff? Just curious what people thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 05:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
You are looking at about $1.50 or less per plug for replacement if you do it yourself. I would leave them until after the inspection since it gives them something and it's an easy cheap fix.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 AM

582 posts, read 2,006,767 times
I left a couple of things, but just because I didn't have time to deal with them. The inspector will put something, even if there really isn't anything to put, so even if you don't knowingly leave something for him to find he will anyway. That being said, plugs are no big deal so I wouldn't worry about leaving that. Good luck on your inspection!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,009,462 times
If it was me and I had the time I would fix them. Crazy as it sounds I'd be thinking the inspector would find the little problem, get excited about finding something and start really digging for other "little" things. Kind of like when I find the perfect top buried in the racks at a department store, next thing I know I'm digging around through all the racks thinking there's got to be the perfect pair of pants to go with this top, if I just spend some time digging around I'll find it. YES I know it's NOT the same thing but it's that "feeling" that i'm sure inspectors get when they've found something wrong

Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,130,881 times
We finished all the unfinished DIY projects in the house, tightened all the screws, replaced the doorknobs, replaced some electrical outlets in anticipation of the dreaded inspection....

....which never came. Our buyers did not do any inspections on the property besides the one that the mortgage lender did, which was external only.

When we bought our house, the inspection missed a serious electrical fault, missed a hole in the roof, missed a crack in the bathtub, and missed installation problems with the windows. Had we known about all of those, we would have knocked money off the price of the house to have those repaired or offered to allow the seller to repair them prior to closing. We didn't pay attention to minor details like switchplates, outlets, etc. Those are easy and inexpensive to replace.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
We finished all the unfinished DIY projects in the house, tightened all the screws, replaced the doorknobs, replaced some electrical outlets in anticipation of the dreaded inspection....

....which never came. Our buyers did not do any inspections on the property besides the one that the mortgage lender did, which was external only.

When we bought our house, the inspection missed a serious electrical fault, missed a hole in the roof, missed a crack in the bathtub, and missed installation problems with the windows. Had we known about all of those, we would have knocked money off the price of the house to have those repaired or offered to allow the seller to repair them prior to closing. We didn't pay attention to minor details like switchplates, outlets, etc. Those are easy and inexpensive to replace.
Our inspector missed many of the things you listed. The inspector ended up paying to fix them to the tune of 7k.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 AM

582 posts, read 2,006,767 times
I don't know about outlets being all that simple, we are having to change out a bunch to the ground fault protection kind, which is a pain since we don't know how and we have to ask for help. We were going to wait until we got unpacked, but my blow dryer already blew the fuse for the first time this morning...

Old 10-31-2007, 10:03 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,130,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Our inspector missed many of the things you listed. The inspector ended up paying to fix them to the tune of 7k.
We should have sued ours. Lesson learned.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,202,882 times
GOOD LUCK I know it can be trying time

I alway like to have my sellers have an inspection of their own so they don't have any surprises

And I must insist on a home warranty

Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,256,192 times
I have a contractor friend who ALWAYS leaves a line of nailing right at eye level undone for the inspector to find. When the inspector points it out, he has a guy nail it off right then. Inspectors are human and no 2 see the same things the same way, but my buddy swears by his method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate