Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,248,151 times

Advertisements

I bought a residential lot in a high-end development a few years back, but my situation has changed and I don't think I'll ever choose to build there. I have lots of equity in the lot, but I'm still paying on it and need to get out from under the loan. I'm willing to take a loss to get some of the equity back and to get rid of the monthly payment.

There are 13 lots (3/4 to 2 acres, mine is about 1 acre). A few of them have sold, no one has built yet. At least one other is on a "long-term" build plan (won't start for a few years), but rumor is that at least one will start construction early summer.

I got a short list of Realtors from my lender (great guy, works for a company that specializes in farm and land loans). He mentioned that one of the Realtors is the one representing the developer and trying to sell the remainder of the lots.

So my questions is, in choosing a Realtor, should I go with the one representing the developer trying to sell the rest of the lots, or choose a different one? The advantage of going with the developer's Realtor is that she knows all about the restrictions and requirements of the development (quite a few of those... it's actually a book). The disadvantage I see is that she probably does a lot of business with the developer and may put their interests over mine. Specifically, what would she do if someone makes an offer that I would be willing to take but could lower the appraised value of the rest of the lots? Helping me sell for a lower value could lower her chances of selling the rest of the lots, reduce her commissions, and hurt the developer. Also, if meeting a buyer in the area she would have no incentive to sell my lot over any of the other ones.

Or, should I try to sell back to the developer? Maybe they'd be willing to buy the lot back to avoid having me sell at a lower price which would lower the appraised values for the rest of their lots. Or maybe this is wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM

433 posts, read 1,229,090 times
Talk to the developer first. Wouldn't hurt ! (if i were him, I would buy back at a reduced price and resell again at a higher price, and to prevent you from lowering the "standards")

Then, I would go with whatever one YOU like to work with.

Personally, I would not have an agent competing with themselves. $ gets in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate