Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM

67 posts, read 217,369 times

Advertisements

I thought I would update this thread with what has transpired, and also maybe get it back on track a little bit.

Long story short is that I sent an email w/ photos included to the inspector. He promptly called back and asked a few questions. He said he wouldn't "admit fault" but it does sound like he could have done his job better. He offered to refund the $500 inspection fee as a result.

This will cover about 1/3 of the repair cost and is a result I feel is fair for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ2013 View Post
I thought I would update this thread with what has transpired, and also maybe get it back on track a little bit.

Long story short is that I sent an email w/ photos included to the inspector. He promptly called back and asked a few questions. He said he wouldn't "admit fault" but it does sound like he could have done his job better. He offered to refund the $500 inspection fee as a result.

This will cover about 1/3 of the repair cost and is a result I feel is fair for everyone.
I'm glad it was resolved in a manner that you feel is fair.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:

Still, you might have not bought the property if you knew the whole story. what are you going to do now?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
So it looks like you're going to have to pay $1,000 toward a plumber. That amount to a plumber is pocket change where I live. And give credit to the inspector. He saw what looked like a settling crack and no signs of moisture. His offer to give the fee back is a sign of goodwill and a move to ensure that you're happy. If it makes you feel any better about the thousand bucks, let me say that I've probably put $200K into my home over the years and most of that has been for infrastructure (windows, boiler, oil tanks, hot water heater and on and on). I'm closing on the sale at the end of the month and will get every penny back . . . and more. Bottom line: don't sweat it. Enjoy the house.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:35 PM

67 posts, read 217,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Still, you might have not bought the property if you knew the whole story. what are you going to do now?

I still would have bought the home had I known the condition existed. I probably would have tried to negotiate based upon the findings, but that's a moot point now.

I'll have the issue repaired and move on with life.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
JoeJ2013,

Best of luck. Glad to hear that you negotiated a solution favorable to you.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:
I still would have bought the home had I known the condition existed. I probably would have tried to negotiate based upon the findings, but that's a moot point now.

I'll have the issue repaired and move on with life.
That's what's imoportant. All the best.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Are we keeping score? Did I get a point?
Seriously, I am glad that it worked out to your satisfaction. Enjoy your new home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post

Also he could try getting it fixed and ask the inspector to pay for part of it after the fact (so the inspector knows what he is in for). The inspector will probably will just laugh, or maybe he will pay for part of it. If it was not a short sale, I might do the same with the seller. If I was the seller, and I was sure that it would not make me libel for additional claims, I would not have a problem with paying for part of something like that. At any rate, nicely asking for them to pay for part of it will be less expensive, and probably just as effective as getting a lawyer involved.

Quote:

Last edited by jeoff; 05-11-2013 at 10:53 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:

This thread is old but supports the idea of making noise, courteously of course, and holding people accountable for their work.

Comments like inspections are a joke are probably true only because few people call the inspector back to demand explanations and accountability. When buyers take inspectors to task for a job not well done, then inspectors will start doing better jobs or find another way to make money, like maybe repair work.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Your home inspector takes his craft and reputation seriously. That's always a compliment to the industry.

As a recent homebuyer (May 22 this year), I still find myself peering around every corner, waiting for a shoe to drop, something to go wrong. But just the opposite, I find myself in kid-like delight with my choice.

I think the one thing that is helping me sleep better is the Home Warranty I got....It's pretty comprehensive, I've used it and it has now almost paid for itself. I am not a first time buyer (4th home), but it's my first home as a single mom. I think for any first time buyer, I would recommend a home warranty to minimize unexpected expenses.....it's a pretty cheap sleeping pill, less than $1 a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate