Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

It's best to use a home inspector that has construction experience. I myself am studying to become an inspector but want to be a quality one and realize the deficiencies from simply using a book to obtain one's knowledge, which is why I plan to volunteer on some habitat for humanity homes and get some construction experience in if I decide to go this route. Not all inspectors are out to make a quick buck at your expense. Look for ones with experience in construction or many years under their belt.

Inspectors can be trained in other fields but in general are not licensed plumbers, engineers, electricians, and cannot go breaking apart drywall or other finished features to find latent defects. This must be accepted as part of the risk. If you want more assurances you'll have to spend the cash on additional inspections.

It wouldn't hurt to read a book on home inspection yourself to get the basics down... looking for important structural issues like bowing basement walls, potential moisture issues, looking at the condition of the wood and insulation in the attic (make sure to have attic access), roof, flashing, eaves, siding, grading/drainage around the foundation, piping (making sure it's not polyethylene), wiring (making sure it's not aluminum, typically by removing the panel to the circuit breaker box), proper installation of railings, stairs, deck footings, checking for wood rot underneath decks, crawl spaces, and more... don't worry about a dirty carpet, older sinks, or countertops not being granite until later. Those are aesthetic issues that should take second place to a good, well constructed dwelling.

Oh, and don't forget a sewer line inspection on any home built before PVC piping was used, especially if they mention 'roto rooting' in the disclosure.. from what I've seen the majority of clay sewer lines will experience eventual failure from tree roots, not the minority. This is a good 5K-10K or more repair potentially. If the clay is in good shape, rock salt dissolved in the bathtub and allowed to drain and sit overnight every month or three does a good job with roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 PM

66 posts, read 146,327 times
your inspector can be sued

Old 08-12-2013, 06:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksinlake View Post
your inspector can be sued
As can anyone over virtually anything.

Practically it seldom makes any sense unless there is a lot of money involved.

Always the problem in these small RE matters. The legal fees will swiftly surpass the amount of money involved. So if you lose you get smashed by the legal fees not by not getting your problem fixed.

You have almost certainly signed a contract that states the maximum liability of the inspector is his fee...and he likely has insurance which will cover his costs with a tolerable deductible.

The courts are rarely a solution. If you can't do it in small claims that next level where it makes any sense is probably over 15 or 20 thousand.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 566 times
I have a similar problem. My buyer closed on his house on Thursday moved in on Saturday, after showering that night the buyer went downstairs and the entire kitchen was flooded. The house has been vacant from October to May (seller's were doing a remodel) they claimed it was winterize. Now, the entire drywall behind the spout in the master bath has water damage. Can we go after the seller for the pipes being frozen while the property was vacant?

Old 05-19-2019, 08:50 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
"My buyer" - reekaw123.... are you a Real Estate licensee?

If so... you need to be in contact with your Designated Broker or other Brokerage support staff!

Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reekae123 View Post
I have a similar problem. My buyer closed on his house on Thursday moved in on Saturday, after showering that night the buyer went downstairs and the entire kitchen was flooded. The house has been vacant from October to May (seller's were doing a remodel) they claimed it was winterize. Now, the entire drywall behind the spout in the master bath has water damage. Can we go after the seller for the pipes being frozen while the property was vacant?
Did they not turn on utilities for the inspection, and do a walk thru the day before closing, or morning of closing (with utilities on)? If not, thats your fault as their agent for not helping them. Our broker requires we do buyer walk thrus before closing. And i will not let a buyer get an inspection without utilities on

Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
I didn't read the whole discussion, but typically the weasel-wording in an inspection states that the inspector's liability is limited to what you paid for the inspection. You should at least demand a refund since the inspection didn't turn up this issue. (And if he didn't have the expertise to say what caused the crack, he should have said that and advised you to bring in someone who did, rather than tell you something in error.)

Old 05-19-2019, 01:25 PM

586 posts, read 554,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Water causes stains and water marks which are usually very noticable. Water does not normally cause straight line sheet rock cracks.

Was there no staining or sagging ?
My thoughts exactly.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:16 PM

724 posts, read 529,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reekae123 View Post
No. Too rushed to check? Too bad for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate