Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 PM

47 posts, read 108,191 times

Advertisements

I'm a little confused about disclosure and am wondering about these two items.

Every two to three years I have roto rooter come out and clear the main. Tree roots from my neighbor's elm get in and require periodic removal. This is not an uncommon situation in homes built in the 50s that have trees on or near the property. To me it's a simple normal maintenance item and I never threw a fit over it. Is this something that requires disclosure or not?

Secondly I am using city water and if I am running both sets of sprinklers at full blast the water pressure isn't that great in the house. Flow out of the faucets is slower and the toilets won't refill if flushed until I lower pressure to one of the sprinklers. It has always been that way since I've lived here and I never cared enough to do anything about it. Is this also something I must disclose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default My experience

with a disclosure form is that it asks YES/No questions.

For example
Is the sewer in working order? Yes.
Don't elaborate.

If you are going to put something in the comments, make it innocuous.
For example
Range? No. "There is no range. There is a cooktop in working condition"
For example
Requirements for curb, vegetation gravel/paving, landscaping? Yes. "The City & County of Denver has requirements that: a) “unattended vegetation” must be cut if more than 6 inches in height and b) tree limbs over streets and alleys must be trimmed to at least 13 ½ feet above the ground; over sidewalks to a minimum of 8 feet"
For example
Any part of the Property leased to others (written or oral? Yes. "The house was rented out from July 1985 to January 1987."

My goal was to have as many unimportant, useless (who cares if the house was rented out 24 years earlier) comments so the readers' eyes would glaze over and they would pay less attention to serious comments.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
I'm just giving an idea, as no one can "help" a seller fill out their disclosure notices, but under plumbing, you would check that it's in working condition and to the side put something about "Roto Rooter clears the roots every 2-3 years."

As for water pressure, most people know that in older homes, when water is being used in one place, there is less pressure some place else. That's also where you get the flushing of the toilet turns the water ice cold in the shower. I don't see anything to disclose on that part.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Here we have a catch all question... "Is there anything the buyer of your home should know?"

You'd want to write both of those things in. Neither of the things you mention are deal breakers from my experience. It is an older home.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
We lived in a similar house in Springfield, MO for 8 years. For 7 1/2 of those years, I put up with poor water pressure in the house. When you ran one thing, the other thing didn't work! I had the city test the water at the meter and the pressure was outstanding there. House built in the 50's, so the best anyone could come up with was the plumbing was old, and some crumbling blockages here and there was the culprit.

A few months before we ended up selling the house I was out front at the corner of our house, doing something - don't even remember what, and my neighbor was talking with me (older man, been there many years). I must have mentioned the pressure issue, and he said - have you checked the main cutoff valve? It could be damaged or something. ? Main cut off valve? HUH? He said "oh it should be right about where you're working there, front corner of the house, they usually put in a shutoff valve a couple of feet away from the foundation. "HUH?" We dug around a little bit and holy cow, there was the cutoff valve, buried in a few inches of dirt - and half closed. We opened it all the way and VOILA my water pressure problem in the house was immediately fixed. I cannot believe it! But, we were first time homeowners and while we were fairly knowledgeable for people in their early 20's, I had been raised on a ranch and never lived where there was city water, so had no idea of these possibilities! That happened to me about 30 some years ago, and I'm still laughing about it today, and trust me, I have always known since then, "Where is the main shut off valve"? (Not just the one at the meter)

So, check and see if you have one of these mysterious hidden shutoffs somewhere on your property!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Good story, Konokat.

We had something similar with a fireplace chimney. The seller told us to only use a few pieces of kindling or the fire would smoke...until we got it checked. We thought there might be a nest in there someplace. I cleaned the fireplace area of the soot, reaching around the back, and looked at the flue. I played with the damper knob, checking how it positioned the damper and finally figured out the problem they had for years.

One might think to turn the damper all the way one way to open, all the way the other way to close.

But there was a round damper attached at across it's middle. So to open it, the damper needed to be positioned straight up. In other words, the damper knob needed to go halfway. Not all the way. By turning the knob all the way, the previous owners had turned it past open to nearly closed again, hence the smoke.

Problem solved and great fires thereafter.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Yeah the cutoff valve is under the house in the crawl space. I've turned it on/off a few times on my own for various reasons. So unfortunately unless the valve itself is not able to fully open any more due to age or damage I doubt that is the issue. The main is a 3/4".

One thing that I have wondered is if you add up the size of two garden hoses running full blast the overall diameter is probably at or over the main. So based only on that (which may not be a complete picture of the situation) it may not be a big surprise that the pressure is pretty far down when those hoses are going. Anyhow I am having the city come out to check the pressure today and I will also have a plumber check it out when I have them over for an unrelated issue in the next couple weeks.

Regarding the disclosure I appreciate the input. I have doubts leaving either of these issues off would result in me losing a potential lawsuit but in an effort to avoid any possible static over this I will put it on the disclosure anyway even if it has the possibility of threatening the sale.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM

I had the city check the pressure and they say it is fine. They gave my wife the impression that low pressure when both hoses are going is a normal thing. Especially in older homes it's not unusual to get lower pressure when someone flushes a toilet. However in this case although we can flush a toilet OK it will not fill back up at all or does so extremely slowly. Until we lower pressure on one of the hoses.

I am probably going to have a plumber out at some point to fix an item with my water heater. When he is out there I intend to quiz him about this.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Say what?

Quote:
One thing that I have wondered is if you add up the size of two garden hoses running full blast the overall diameter is probably at or over the main.
The square area is what is important.

For example:
1/2-inch ID hose x 2
3/4-inch ID main

0.25**2 * PI = 0.2 sq in
0.375**2 * PI = 0.44 sq in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate