Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times

Advertisements

Part of being a responsible adult is paying one's bills. You didn't remember to include in or save part of the rent received to put towards your HOA bill when you paid the mortgage every month? You have to realize us posters are not being rude to you, we just are not sympathetic to a homeowner in an HOA that does not pay their mandatory dues like the rest of us. Lesson learned?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Most HOA's try to send delinquent notices and warnings before taking action, but, they are not obligated to do so.
As someone who is working on obtaining a CAM (Community Association Management) designation, I assure everyone that it may not by required, but it is certainly within their right to fine, charge attorney fees and interest in the state of Florida, but it might be different elsewhere. All HOA members should assume that such fees/fines are to be expected on late payments. Too late for the OP. Sorry, but those are the facts as I understand it.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Rude is expecting the Homeowner's Association to pay for the legal fees they incurred due to your non payment.

No one is being rude, just shocked that the OP expects to be absolved from responsibility.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
^^^^Irresponsible is as irresponsible does^^^^ Sorry OP I have to agree that you are wrong. You just got spanked grown up style.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
So you didn't forget to pay your mortgage, huh?

As far as rudeness, I think it's rude to fall months behind on your HOA dues when your neighbors are paying on time. The Association still had monthly bills to pay and you could have put them in a bind! They need dues from each property, since each property is incurring collective expenses whether you live there or not.
The individual properties are not "incurring collective expenses". The individual property owners have zero say in the HOA corporation's spending.

The HOA corporation is running up expenses with everyone else's homes as security for the HOA's spending. D&O insurance for HOA directors is just one example of an HOA expense that benefits the board members, not the homeowners.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Rude is expecting the Homeowner's Association to pay for the legal fees they incurred due to your non payment.

No one is being rude, just shocked that the OP expects to be absolved from responsibility.

If you don't pay the legal fees the rest of the homeowners would have to in the form of higher HOA dues next year. That seems rude to me.

How can you forget to pay your HOA dues?

When I bought my home 5 years ago the seller had to pay back HOA dues and fees before we could complete the closing. When this was brought up at the closing both the husband and wife objected to paying the dues, saying that they shouldn't have to pay because they were planning to sell the house! Finally the amount of dues and expenses was added to the seller's side of the closing statement and the amount was deducted from their proceeds.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
If you don't pay the legal fees the rest of the homeowners would have to in the form of higher HOA dues next year. That seems rude to me.

How can you forget to pay your HOA dues?

When I bought my home 5 years ago the seller had to pay back HOA dues and fees before we could complete the closing. When this was brought up at the closing both the husband and wife objected to paying the dues, saying that they shouldn't have to pay because they were planning to sell the house! Finally the amount of dues and expenses was added to the seller's side of the closing statement and the amount was deducted from their proceeds.
I wonder if they'd try that with other legal commitments they made?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
The individual properties are not "incurring collective expenses". The individual property owners have zero say in the HOA corporation's spending.

The HOA corporation is running up expenses with everyone else's homes as security for the HOA's spending. D&O insurance for HOA directors is just one example of an HOA expense that benefits the board members, not the homeowners.
Incorrect on several points:

1) Individual owners DO have "say" in HOA spending. They elect representatives to the board, and can run for HOA office themselves. The HOA is composed of property owners. That's why it's called a "Homeowner's Association"

2) The HOA does not use other people's homes "as security" (!), they should be spending from dues and savings (called 'reserves'). They certainly can't place mortgages on other people's homes.

3) D & O insurance DOES benefit homeowners, since it insures against a dishonest board member embezzling homeowners' reserves. It also protects against certain types of fraud. Do you think insurance has no benefits?

4) Finally, yes - the individual units do cause some expenses incurred by the HOAs. Many HOAs shovel around units, landscape around units, resurface assigned parking spots, clean stairwells, pay some utilities, pay for garbage collection, maintain mail box areas, etc. My HOA even pays the electricity for outside lighting at the front of each individual unit.

Just what do you think HOAs are, and on what do you think they spend dues?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post

Contrary to some other posts, your interpretation is what our experience has been with our HOA. My husband is a former BOD and it is only another layer of taxation to make the lawyers rich and give the BOD money to spend on their units or their agenda regardless of what homeowners want. The HOA contract is prepared with the Mgt. companies lawyers and approved by the BOD with no legal representation so the unknowing homeowner is really on the hook.

The OP might also want to consider what will happen if he tenant demages the property or causes another problem, such as hanging the wrong color curtains, the BOD will also be after him. It would really be best to sell and get out of the HOA. An HOA is not a good deal as they could force a forcloser on an individual faster than a bank so if OP misses more payments, it could get ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate