Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM

683 posts, read 464,703 times

Advertisements

Hi. We paid off our mortgage in 2008, and there is a notice filed in the county clerks office that the loan was paid off. I was actually searching for our "Deed" but there is non. I'm waiting to hear back from the county clerk, but in the meantime, we took out a home equity line of credit later on that same year for college. Could that be the reason why I don't officially have a "deed" on file....because I have a Home Equity Line of Credit???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
It would help if we knew where the property was located. Title is from the owner (seller) to the new owner (buyer) - general warranty, special, quitclaim, - the type of deed giving you ownership is state specific.

The loan - or mortgage, is the loan against the person and recorded against the property.

It is not like a car loan where the lender for the car hold the title until the loan is paid in full.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:30 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
Your deed of trust is finished- that is the banks proof that they have a lien on the property that went away when you paid off the note.

Your deed stays with the property forever.

The HELOC is another deed of trust that would have been recorded when you started that.

Sounds like a clerical error on the county clerks office. In Maryland, the public can search deeds online. Not sure about where you're at.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM

Somerset County, NJ

Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
I own my home. I doubt I have a deed nor copy of it. Regardless of what I have, if I ever did anything (mortgage, sale, whetver) there would be a title search no matter what I showed anybody (especially in this day and age of forgery), thus I do not believe I need a "piece of paper" deed.

I could be wrong.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
There is a deed filed in the Recorder of Deeds/Land Records in the town in NJ where you live. It will be found immediately preceding your mortgage; both recorded within 1 week of the closing on your home if not the actual day. You should have the original of that document - probably marked "Warranty Deed". However, if you have lost that deed, the point of "recording" it is to make it a matter of public record.

You can simply go to your town hall, find the land records office, and ask the clerk therein for assistance in locating your deed. If it isn't on computer, a copy will be kept in a large book. The specific book and page (location) are filed in an index which is kept by date. With computerization, those records are often both by date and last name. It really isn't a complicated procedure.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 AM

Oh, I was looking at this backward. So the deed is when I actually "closed" on the house from the sellers years ago, and not when I paid off my mortgage? I was looking at it like the title to a car.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Oh, I was looking at this backward. So the deed is when I actually "closed" on the house from the sellers years ago, and not when I paid off my mortgage? I was looking at it like the title to a car.
You can't get a mortgage without first having title (the deed) to the property (but most often closed simultaneously). Same with a Home Equity Line of Credit--you first need to own the property, which is evidenced by the deed.

So, yes, you need to look at when you first bought the house, not when the mortgage is paid off. Paying off the mortgage loan releases the lien from the property--so you would own it "free and clear"...until you re-encumber it with a HELOC or other such mortgage.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:26 PM

Thank you JackMichigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate