Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 PM

154 posts, read 688,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Just put the two prong outlet covers back.

The house DH & I bought last year is 1950s also and had all of the two prong outlets. We paid for rewiring ourselves and got grounded (up to code) outlets in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Just leave it up to the buyer, but expect the buyer to possibly factor in the cost of the upgrade to the electric when making an offer.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reality check. I'm thinking the time to upgrade would have been when I bought the house nine years ago. Then I would have at least gotten some benefit from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 01:21 AM

936 posts, read 2,193,311 times
The answer really depends on your market. Is there an expectation from buyers in your market to have grounded outlets?

Also, a GFCI at the service panel won't work if you don't have ground wires running to the outlets. In any event, I'd change the outlets back to two-prong if they aren't grounded. No need confusing someone who might think an outlet is grounded.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 AM

210 posts, read 574,554 times
change the outlets to Gfci....a cheap and acceptable alternative.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,615,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Just put the two prong outlet covers back.

The house DH & I bought last year is 1950s also and had all of the two prong outlets. We paid for rewiring ourselves and got grounded (up to code) outlets in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Just leave it up to the buyer, but expect the buyer to possibly factor in the cost of the upgrade to the electric when making an offer.

Good luck!
I agree. Let the buyer decide their course of action.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
change the outlets to Gfci....a cheap and acceptable alternative.
That won't work. You need a ground wire in order for a GFCI outlet to work.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
That won't work. You need a ground wire in order for a GFCI outlet to work.
Just to be clear...
The GFI *on the first device* allows you to keep the 3 prong outlets already installed.

The "trick" to make this all code is to then paste one of the little warning labels on each of those outlets.
That saves a LOT of duplicating work and expense.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade two-wire to grounded before selling?-gfcibig.jpg  

Last edited by MrRational; 05-19-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Are you suggesting fraud? You can put all the stickers on that you want, but without an actual ground wire in the system, it won't work as designed.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
...without an actual ground wire in the system, it won't work as designed.
I guess the electrical appliances working there with no ground wire for the last 50 years
is some sort of illusion.

Do some reading.
Start with the helpful diagram I included.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,236,719 times
You'd be surprised what buyers (and even inspectors) overlook, so I'd never bother with any expense fixes to put a house on the market if you're already losing on it. The last two houses I sold had weird things I was prepared for the buyer's inspector to bring up (no I didn't lie on the disclosure) and in both cases I didn't get a single question I anticipated.

Same with stylistic issues. I put my mother's house on the market in a very difficult-sell neighborhood awhile back. When I interviewed potential listing agents, I had one tell me he would only list if I agreed to lower the price I wanted because the kitchen had a blue color scheme, including the cabinets, which had a blue glaze. He said blue kitchens were a no-go in the market and the house would never sell at the price I thought was fair. I believed his premise, but the kitchen was in excellent condition and everything was in working order. I ignored his advice and went with a Realtor willing to list at a higher price. The house was sold to the third person who looked at it and she offered full asking price. Why? She "LOVED!!!" the blue kitchen. That first time buyer also signed WITHOUT an inspection (and her Realtor let her) "because my father can fix anything that's wrong." Go figure.

I'm with MrRational: "Limit your yardwork to what you can do with the mower, rake and weedwacker you already have. Limit your inside to the time and sweat work. 1) fix what's not right 2) clean EVERYTHING and 3) neutralize." Unless it's blue. Don't bother neutralizing that.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 AM

80 posts, read 134,330 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting fraud? You can put all the stickers on that you want, but without an actual ground wire in the system, it won't work as designed.
Old thread, but wanted to address this incorrect statement for others that read the thread.:

GFCI does not need a ground to work, and is code legal without a ground for the circuit. The ungrounded outlets just need to be labeled as noted a few messages above. One $15 GFCI outlet (the first in a circuit) can be wired to protect all the following outlets on the same circuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate