Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:42 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,741,429 times

Advertisements

We are closing on the sale and purchase of homes next week and want to know what we need to expect from the buyers and what we need to do on our purchase during the walk-throughs just prior to closing.

On our purchase, we will make a visual inspection to ensure that no damage was done by movers. We will also check that all items are there, such as chandeliers and window coverings that are not mentioned in the contract as being removed. Because the outside temperature was too low during the inspection, we will turn on the AC to make sure it works. But that seems to be about it. Do we need to turn on every faucet and light switch? Do we need to flush every toilet? Do we need to turn on every appliance and even the heat?

Similarly, what can we expect our buyers to do on the walk-through? Our real estate agent says the buyers could take up to an hour, but I don't know how that's possible.

It all seems like common sense, but we haven't moved in a long time and I want to be sure everything is covered. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,311,009 times
I agree with turning on the faucets, not only to make sure they work, but I would have someone down in the basement checking to make sure there were no leaks in the lower pipes too. I would also give a little tug on any stair railings to see if there are any loose.
It sounds a bit like overkill, but yes, I would turn on every light switch to check for burned out bulbs or just non-operating switches.
Moving is stressful enough without surprises! Good luck to you and congratulations on your new home.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,945,905 times
Those are things you inspector should have already y checked. You look for any damage or missing items and cleanliness. Here the standard is 'broom clean" meaning dusty blinds are OK.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,738,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Those are things you inspector should have already y checked. You look for any damage or missing items and cleanliness. Here the standard is 'broom clean" meaning dusty blinds are OK.
Indeed.

@sirron you are a little over the top.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,311,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Indeed.

@sirron you are a little over the top.

Just a little.

But you know, bad surprises just suck even on a good day, let alone when moving into a new place. My comment about the stair rails was just a safety thing, especially if they have little ones. Eh, to each his own. Dusty blinds are okay.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,676,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I agree with turning on the faucets, not only to make sure they work, but I would have someone down in the basement checking to make sure there were no leaks in the lower pipes too. I would also give a little tug on any stair railings to see if there are any loose.
It sounds a bit like overkill, but yes, I would turn on every light switch to check for burned out bulbs or just non-operating switches.
Moving is stressful enough without surprises! Good luck to you and congratulations on your new home.

This. ☝☝

We bought our house in KY from Florida and couldnt be in KY for the "inspection". I use that word liberally.
Our "inspector" obviously didnt do too much inspecting. We did in fact have a leak from the 1st floor shower that could be heard dripping on the drop ceiling in the basement. A light in the upstairs hallway didnt work either. We eventually won a mediation against the previous owners, but the shady inspector couldnt be touched due to the way his contract was written. Also, check your windows if its and older house
:

Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,661,321 times
From personal experience...

Don't miss the garage in your walk thru. And any sheds/storage on the property.

Make sure all utilities are on. Flush.

Things that are a consideration and will make moving in easier if dealt with beforehand...all exit doors working, sliding given any change in weather; your new home's closets, including narrow hall linen closets, emptied and that cabinet over the refrigerator emptied (so often people forget these).

And see if the sellers have left behind a doorknocker with their name on it that they may want; a nice mailbox flag or mailbox wrap they may have forgotten to take; and little yard statuary including a sign facing the neighbor's property on a path saying "friends always welcome" from their great relationship with the neighbors; and maybe even windchimes

Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,864,952 times
Most of my walk thrus are less than 10 minutes unless they want to measure rooms and fridge areas to make sure how things will fit. Many times, the utilities have already been turned off so you can't flush toilets or turn on lights. You're looking to make sure the walls don't have holes where there weren't holes when you viewed it. You're making sure the carpet isn't trashed if it wasn't trashed when you viewed it. You're making sure the washer, dryer, and fridge are still in the house if you included those in your contract.

You're not running a home inspection at the walk thru...

Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,233,168 times
So what happens if you turn on the AC and it doesn't work?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM

396 posts, read 1,856,875 times
Is it reasonable at closing for the buyer to deduct for these new issues (like damage done after inspection), or just let the minor things go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate