Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 PM

328 posts, read 683,634 times

Advertisements

10 minutes maybe 30, and done. Check the air works, toilet flushes, hot water heater does not leak, all kitchen appliances operate, garage door openers work...............done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 PM

6,842 posts, read 11,608,977 times
This isn't exactly a walk-through item, but as a seller I have left notes as to garage door code, what day is trash day, and things like that. Taped all our extra keys on it with notes as to which is which.

I also had a very oddball shower in the hall bath where you had to pull down on the faucet to get the shower going. I had only seen this type of shower one other time in my 50-plus years, so I left a note on that, too.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,656,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Is it reasonable at closing for the buyer to deduct for these new issues (like damage done after inspection), or just let the minor things go?
Minor issues are a personal choice. Others you probably wouldn't want to hold up closing when schedules are so tight and often the closing is on the last day of the buyers loan commitment and you often have that domino of closing contingent on the closing before. You certainly can, though. But you can also have an agreed upon amount put in escrow. It helps if you have a knowledgeable person to at least give you a ball park figure quick before closing so you know how much damage there is.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,934,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
This isn't exactly a walk-through item, but as a seller I have left notes as to garage door code, what day is trash day, and things like that. Taped all our extra keys on it with notes as to which is which.

I also had a very oddball shower in the hall bath where you had to pull down on the faucet to get the shower going. I had only seen this type of shower one other time in my 50-plus years, so I left a note on that, too.
I also left all the keys, the specialized cleaners I could not use in the next house, and a note about the hand-hammered coopper sink in the master bath. Also a note about the gardens and bulbs. I would appreciate it as a buyer.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM

72 posts, read 186,427 times
I'm sorry if it sound weird, but it is advice to change the locks of entrance doors after taking possession of the new house? I don't want sound extreme,but we don't live in alice in wonderland, unfortunately.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:09 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,740,805 times
Thanks for all your helpful comments and advice. I'm having a tough time determining how far I should go on the walk-through. I've looked up walk-through checklists on the web and almost all of them seem to be a repeat of the home inspection. They suggest running the dishwasher through a full cycle, filling up the whirlpool tub, etc., etc. We're not looking to go that far. We would have to be there for three hours.

I will flip the lights on and off, flush the three toilets once each and run the showers briefly. I will also test the AC, since the units are older and the weather was too cold during the inspection. We will be remodeling the kitchen and master bath, but I'll still do a basic check in those rooms. We're more interested in being sure we can live in the home short-term as we make various upgrades. We understand that when you buy a used home, there will be expenses. The inspection did not reveal anything we couldn't handle, including the possibility that the AC units will have to be replaced in the near future for, perhaps, around $10K. We're prepared for that.

We want to strike the right balance of making sure the main things work while not nitpicking to the point that we delay the closing. We're getting a fairly good buy as it is.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,656,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antifeik View Post
I'm sorry if it sound weird, but it is advice to change the locks of entrance doors after taking possession of the new house? I don't want sound extreme,but we don't live in alice in wonderland, unfortunately.
Some people do that with every new home. You can never tell how many keys have been lent out or lost by kids or adults alike over the years. Highly likely the two sets you get at closing are not the only ones out there. It is probably your least expensive items on the list of security measures.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 AM

22,715 posts, read 36,923,474 times
We also left the owner's manuals for anything that we had them for, our stash of menus, labeled the keys.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM

6,842 posts, read 11,608,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antifeik View Post
I would expect them to change the locks, but since I would have no futher use for them, might as well leave them.

I also left them info on the guy who did the weed control on the lawn.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,532,625 times
Well you can take as long as you want to really. Yes check that the main things work so you can move in. But if you don't check the dishwasher and it floods the house the day after you move in, don't go complaining to the seller. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate